• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Gen 2 Ring Height

Marksman_92

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2017
My cousin just purchased a RPR gen 2 and he will be getting vortex precision matched rings and using a Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50. What height rings will clear the RPR since it has the rail that sits up a bit higher? I was thinking medium(.97) but after a bit of searching it looks like a few people have gone with 1.26 height. Thanks in advance.

He needs to get whatever ring height allows him to be comfortable on the rifle. With a 50mm objective and a full rail Handguard I use 1.49 “ badger rings with room to spare. If the factory Handguard with no rail is still on the rifle I would imagine 1.26 would be fine but could be so low he can’t get a good position behind the rifle. The scope doesn’t have to be as low as possible. It has to be comfortable. Otherwise your fundamentals will be shite

The RPR requires rings slightly lower than on an AR, because you still need to clear the handguard but don't need to raise the eyebox since your buttstock isn't in line with the bore.

For the RPR specifically I know a lot of guys who like to use 1.25" rings with a 50mm objective lens. keeps the scope from getting too high up and needing a very raised cheek riser. That said, if you get higher you can still adjust the buttstock to make it work.

I would not be affraid to use AR height rings/mount. Just adjust the cheekpeice accordingly. The days of worrying about HOB are over with full length rails and fully adjustable cheek pieces. Mount it so he can be comfortable and can keep the system level. Put the correct sight height in the software and shoot.