• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Ruger RPR 338LM

Jackomason

Poop-smith aka "Turd Herder"
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2013
Westcliffe Colorado
Looks like ruger just announced its RPR in 338LM and 300WM, I have the original RPR and am happy with how itperformed. Every time I talk my self into a 338 I end up going back to the thought that I would be better off just building a custom then pushing it down the road another 5 years.

Screenshot_20181011-090037_Chrome.jpg

If this model is as good as the SA models would it be worth getting into?

Looks like ruger just announced its RPR in 338LM and 300WM, I have the original RPR and am happy with how itperformed. Every time I talk my self into a 338 I end up going back to the thought that I would be better off just building a custom then pushing it down the road another 5 years.

View attachment 6954814

Assuming they actually get the magnum action correct, then it'll be a great entry level platform! Savage messed up with extraction issues and the remington 700P actions raised eyebrows with how thin the bolt face ends up being. If they make the action robust enough, have it feed and extract, it'll probably be a winner.

I'm also interested to see how well the action is built. Seems like it would make a nice entry level 338Lap.

I've always been interested in a 338Lap just to try to reach out beyond 1000yds. Not that my 7mmMag wont do it, it's just hard to see hits. Its been so wet here lately so all the ground is mud, no dust. I need to upgrade my optics too, which would probably help.

If anyone happens to get hands on one of these let us know how their built if you would?

I traded a gen I 243 and $788.00 for one on Sunday. I only had 6 rounds of factory Hornady ammo on hand and got it zero’d and Shot a 3 round group. They went into about .75 just before dark last night. I ordered Lapua Brass and 300 grain Berger OTM today from Bruno’s. I’ll try and get back here for a report ASAP. Going to use H1000 and CCI 250s. I’m really impressed so far.

Attachments

• 1CEA0967-2ED3-4C0C-8379-E0E28D4AF3BC.jpeg
    1CEA0967-2ED3-4C0C-8379-E0E28D4AF3BC.jpeg
    803.5 KB · Views: 136
Wow first report in the hide.
Tag.

I traded a gen I 243 and $788.00 for one on Sunday. I only had 6 rounds of factory Hornady ammo on hand and got it zero’d and Shot a 3 round group. They went into about .75 just before dark last night. I ordered Lapua Brass and 300 grain Berger OTM today from Bruno’s. I’ll try and get back here for a report ASAP. Going to use H1000 and CCI 250s. I’m really impressed so far.

Any comments on the build of the action? Maybe a picture of the bolt face? And I assume the chamber is cut properly and there's no need to polish.

Thanks for the post excited to hear more.

I just picked one up yesterday at LGS $1659.00 plus tax. It’ll be a while before I will be able to shoot it. I suspect the price will drop over time.
I’m sure they will drop as well. I saw 4 at a gun show in Dallas this past weekend. The first was marked $1699.00, the second was $1549.00, the third was $1525.00, and the one I traded for $1488. He just happened to know someone wanting an RPR in 243.

Any comments on the build of the action? Maybe a picture of the bolt face? And I assume the chamber is cut properly and there's no need to polish.

Thanks for the post excited to hear more.
I’ll get a photo of the bolt face this evening. Everything looks good so far but with the limited rounds through it so far, I can’t comment on much.

New shooters with magnums are a recipe for disaster, it never works out well for them.

We see a lot of newer shooters buying big magnums like this because they believe bigger is better. It's not...

Lots of Savage 338 Axis rifles, tons of 300WMs already from the hunting side.

We spoke briefly yesterday about turning down magnums in our basic class but they are just too common. Instead, it becomes of a case of rolling disclaimers explaining the pitfalls of using such a rifle to learn on. It's a bad idea to jump into a magnum before understanding how to shoot rifle from the start.

Magnums are flinch factories, magnums can and often do wreck an already tight line, and they give the shooter no advantage at all.

Well, at this point I have 12 whole rounds down the barrel. 5 factory Hornady to zero, 3 hand loaded 300 Sierra....then the fun stuff, I loaded one 300 Berger OTM .010 off the lands at 91.5 grains of H1000 in new Lapua Brass just to check for pressure. That’s the lower impact on the target. Then 3 at 92 at the same seating depth. It’s well past magazine length at 3.893
I held 1.5 mills and sent 3 through the chrono!
I’ll load a few up to fit the magazine and see how they do.

Attachments

• 00523AD3-BA5F-4C93-9C9E-3C8E58E9C593.jpeg
    00523AD3-BA5F-4C93-9C9E-3C8E58E9C593.jpeg
    458.3 KB · Views: 154
  • ED4893E3-A3F2-496A-ACA0-94AA6402DAE5.jpeg
    ED4893E3-A3F2-496A-ACA0-94AA6402DAE5.jpeg
    503.6 KB · Views: 160
  • B9D45CBF-462E-4113-9E1A-62A884D76FEB.jpeg
    B9D45CBF-462E-4113-9E1A-62A884D76FEB.jpeg
    647.9 KB · Views: 144
  • B25104B0-882B-4DDF-97C6-7941715749D9.jpeg
    B25104B0-882B-4DDF-97C6-7941715749D9.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Reactions: Howland

View attachment 6954814

Same here buddy Im ready to move on the RPR in 338 after my experience withe the RPRs I currecnly own

We need that update! thanks

I don't understand why this forum and many other turn into a bunch of guys bitching about something totally off topic. I do not teach but I bet it pretty rough sometimes. I think it would be an excellent / entertaining forum to read but it is not the topic of this forum.

Reactions: winxp_man
Post 28 has a few pictures and chrono results with 92 grains of H1000 and 300 grain Berger Hybrid. I haven’t taken it past 100 yet but can tell you it’s a shooter. Go for it. For the money, you can’t be disappointed.

We learn to shoot with a BB gun then .22 then dad's old hunting rifle, so on its a learning thing.. Don't take you're driving test in a semi truck.

Nothing to add about how it shot out of the box, but it looks to me like they'll be good donor guns for ELR rigs.

RPR300Nsmall.JPG

The action is 1.45" across on the sides. The barrel tenon is 1.125 x 16. I used a standard 1.25" shank barrel blank. The barrel nut is AR15 pattern, but the threads for the hand guard nut are larger than the small RPRs. I bored a Brownells AR15 wrench for clearance and it worked well.

It's a 22# 10 oz 300 Norma now.

I always wanted to shoot one to see how the big bore 338 feels like .Do they kick hard? I’ve shot 7mm mag. Which was not bad but would not want to target shoot much(browning a bolt) with it.

New shooters with magnums are a recipe for disaster, it never works out well for them.

We see a lot of newer shooters buying big magnums like this because they believe bigger is better. It's not...

Lots of Savage 338 Axis rifles, tons of 300WMs already from the hunting side.

We spoke briefly yesterday about turning down magnums in our basic class but they are just too common. Instead, it becomes of a case of rolling disclaimers explaining the pitfalls of using such a rifle to learn on. It's a bad idea to jump into a magnum before understanding how to shoot rifle from the start.

Magnums are flinch factories, magnums can and often do wreck an already tight line, and they give the shooter no advantage at all.
So it has been several months since the RPR Magnums have been out. Have many or any them shown up to your classes and with the excellent muzzle breaks on the RPRs how have they performed? Are they flinch factories?