Runaway car, this was an awesome save

put it in neutral

When the gear selector is essentially nothing more than a button to tell the computer in the car what you'd like to do, if the computer screws up well it don't matter at all what gear you tell the car to be in or not be in.

Most newer stuff is going full computer driven because of costs and laziness.
There isn't any mechanical linkage from the driver controls to anything other than a little sensor switch.

Now the more "conspiracy theory" types might also say some of this is "controllable" from a distance and one could take out folks that are inconvenient in very convenient "accidents".

Some folks did some limited proof of concept hacking regarding being able to take control of unsuspecting vehicles remotely.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
Car gets stuck full throttle and goes several miles through some small towns. The driver is a young guy that stays calm and works with police to get it stopped, nice work!

Think about how dangerous that maneuver was. Nobody knew that the collision shit would do that...
Cop placed his life on the line by getting in front to try to stop that car.
1729478714215.png

When the gear selector is essentially nothing more than a button to tell the computer in the car what you'd like to do, if the computer screws up well it don't matter at all what gear you tell the car to be in or not be in.

There isn't any mechanical linkage from the driver controls to anything other than a little sensor switch.

Now the more "conspiracy theory" types might also say some of this is "controllable" from a distance and one could take out folks that are inconvenient in very convenient "accidents".

Some folks did some limited proof of concept hacking regarding being able to take control of unsuspecting vehicles remotely.
Some of that is true.
I mean...Onstar or whatever has been used to disable stolen vehicles. Similar might have been possible here but I don't know.

Engineers keep that in mind when designing the electrical. An automatic transmission has its own computer so if you put it in neutral it will come out of gear even if the engine computer fails.

this sort of thing has been going on for years, the roughly decade old Toyota issue is really what comes to my mind. It was a big story, then disappeared, Car and Driver tested and said the brakes will win

One of the first cars I ever owned was a beater, had to tow it home and work on it for a while before I could drive it. In the early days of it moving under it's own power the throttle cable would get stuck once in a while (yes I said cable, it was a 1970's car) No big deal, stomp on the pedal hard a few times to unstick it or cut off the engine (it had manual brakes and manual steering, and manual windows and manual everything else lol) pull over and manually unstuck the cable with my hands

People today are just morons that don't understand how anything works, or why anything works...

Reactions: 918v
I'm lost here.

Why not just turn off the ignition/engine and coast to a stop?
Push button ignition, push button transmission. They had him try all that - push the ignition button to turn it off, push the Neutral button on the transmission, nothing responded. It sounded like what DID still work was the collision avoidance system, so when they got in front and it got too close, it began to slow down. Then they let it make contact and assisted with their own brakes. That's what I got out of it, anyway.

Push button ignition, push button transmission. They had him try all that - push the ignition button to turn it off, push the Neutral button on the transmission, nothing responded. It sounded like what DID still work was the collision avoidance system, so when they got in front and it got too close, it began to slow down. Then they let it make contact and assisted with their own brakes. That's what I got out of it, anyway. They had him try the emergency brake, but it only slowed him down 2mph. The one thing I didn't hear them suggest was to stand on the brakes with everything he had. I'd have tried that first.

this sort of thing has been going on for years, the roughly decade old Toyota issue is really what comes to my mind. It was a big story, then disappeared, Car and Driver tested and said the brakes will win

One of the first cars I ever owned was a beater, had to tow it home and work on it for a while before I could drive it. In the early days of it moving under it's own power the throttle cable would get stuck once in a while (yes I said cable, it was a 1970's car) No big deal, stomp on the pedal hard a few times to unstick it or cut off the engine (it had manual brakes and manual steering, and manual windows and manual everything else lol) pull over and manually unstuck the cable with my hands

People today are just morons that don't understand how anything works, or why anything works...
Brakes will lose if they get over heated and fade .

Where is nagantguy? The cop haters should be cursing them for daring to do a good thing.

I don't have the desire to watch 15 mins of video. If this car had an old style key you could have clicked it back to accessory and shut the engine off. It makes me wonder about hackable digital cars and shit Kia security features

that is not how the stop sticks work
Critics argue that the deployment of Stop Sticks can escalate a situation and potentially endanger innocent bystanders or other motorists on the road. There have been instances where suspects lost control of their vehicles after their tires deflated, resulting in accidents.

So, are you volunteering to be the driver for our test?

• Haha
Reactions: sloporsche
Also of note, not all cars run the exact same calipers, pad compounds, rotor diameters, brake boosters, or proportioning valves.
Also of note, it’s the tires that stop the car. Not the brakes.
Also of note, not all cars carry the exact same mass.
Seems as though this may come as a shock to some.

The vehicle was a 2022 Honda Pilot

Here is Honda's statement

"We are grateful that the customer is safe ... We cannot speculate about the issue experienced by the customer without a detailed inspection of the vehicle. We encourage the family to have the vehicle towed to an authorized Honda dealer to enable that inspection."

The pit has already diagnosed a nearly new car with having shitty brakes :D this place is a riot. Call Honda and let them know you got it figured out already

The vehicle was a 2022 Honda Pilot

Here is Honda's statement

"We are grateful that the customer is safe ... We cannot speculate about the issue experienced by the customer without a detailed inspection of the vehicle. We encourage the family to have the vehicle towed to an authorized Honda dealer to enable that inspection."

The pit has already diagnosed a nearly new car with having shitty brakes :D this place is a riot. Call Honda and let them know you got it figured out already
How many times have you stopped a full size SUV from 114mph, why still commanding maximum load from the engine? I don’t know that anyone is saying it has shitty brakes. At least that’s not what I’ve said.

Reactions: NoDopes