Sidearms & Scatterguns S&W 4506

paulL01

Didicoy Muggle
Minuteman
May 2, 2012
Blue Ridge Mtns
Just wanting to hear from the 4506 owners the likes
and not so likes about the gun. To my knowledge there were
the 4506 and the 4506-1. I'm interested in the 4506 mainly.
The last one I saw was in 1993 when I worked for the town
Police Dept. I remember being impressed. I alsp remember it
weighing 40 ounces if memory serves. I would imagine there
were improvements made to the 4506-1 such as the rounded
trigger guard but, I really like the looks of the 4506 and, its
squared trigger guard. I also hear these were very accurate out
pf the box. Thx for your time and comments fellas.

Re: S&W 4506

Cool. I've always carried a P220 but, just really love the looks
of the 4506. I know for sure the P220 will shoot. And, I'm really glad to hear
the 4506 is a good out of the box shooter as well.
on a side note, I saw a brand new 1006 listed on gin broker
the other day. Man, that right there was MIGHTY tempting.

Love mine. Accurate, dependable, all around great pistol. Weight is a couple ozs more than a full size, steel 1911. The 4566 is my favorite .45 3rd gen Smith. Think full size vs. commander 1911.

The 1006 is a beefed up version to handle the 10mm.

The 4566 has a 4.25" barrel. I am fairly certain the frames are the same, only the slide assemblies differ in length.
Here is a pic showing the differences. Doesn't seem like much but, I think the 66 balances out better.
DSCN0030.jpg

They are great guns as are all of S&W's 3rd gen autos (imho. I ended up with a 4516 which is like a mini-me version of the 4506 as it has a 3 3/4" barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LOBO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are great guns as are all of S&W's 3rd gen autos (imho. I ended up with a 4516 which is like a mini-me version of the 4506 as it has a 3 3/4" barrel. </div></div>

I agree all the 3 gen guns are great. I have the 4506's daddy the Sonny Crockett 645 totally tricked out by Novaks Shop.
Love the old bastard to death.

I love the 3rd gen. Smiths, especially the big ones! These pistols are at the bottom of the cost chart, but pretty high up on the quality and performance charts...

I have a 1006. The 1006 is the 10mm version that the 4506 was modeled after; they are almost identical in all respects. Considering that the 1006 is THE tank of the 10mm world, I'd reckon that the 4506 is likely the most well built .45ACP on the planet. I'd give anything to see how much it would take to blow one up, in either caliber!

Also, nothing screams "Big ass handgun!" like the 10 or 45 -06. Nothing weighs as much either.

Accuracy... It isn't too bad with the right load, but it isn't custom 1911 accurate either. I bet in .45 it may even do better than 10mm in these particular pistols, but I don't know. The only hang up about them really, and I don't know if this applies to .45, is that the 1006 is prone to jamming up from time to time. This can be alleviated somewhat to a greater or lesser degree by selection of ammo, recoil spring, and just general fine tuning --if something is in the way or not working right, fix it. In case anyone cares, the reason the FBI dropped the 1006 is because of this, not because of the round or women being too small (though that should have been obvious with the 1006). Had the weapons been hand fitted after assembly, they likely wouldn't have had this problem, but it would have made them much more expensive at a time when plastic frames and stamped parts requiring no fitting at all were coming onto the market. If you take this pistol to a reputable gunsmith worth his salt, he can likely get it running quite smoothly.

The crunchenticker trigger... Some are okay, some aren't. I bought two 1006's, and, a la "Good, Bad, Ugly", I proceeded to tear them down and mix and match parts. I then stoned the parts I chose, and put the rest in the other pistol and sold it. The one I sold has an okay trigger. The one I kept is, well, phenomenal for a 1006. Usual pre-travel, almost no over travel. Smooth and crisp. The other one left a lot to be desired. It seems like they didn't do anything to fit them at the factory, so most are in dire need of some kind of smoothing. For instance, the trigger bar is rough as sandpaper! Just smoothing that out makes it feel ten times better. This kind of attention to detail would have made these pistols worth more I think, you can certainly tell the difference between a worked 1006 and one that hasn't been.

Don't bother sending it in to Smith to have this work done. They don't do much of what needs to be done to it, to these kinds of pistols, and they'll also change your parts out if modified (sometimes) as well as re-install the magazine safety plunger (which I removed from mine --I HATE magazine safeties!). If not comfortable doing it yourself, find a competent gunsmith.

Sights. I like the adjustable ones, only way to go. The other one I had came with the Novak sights, just not for me. Those adj. Smith sights are unique. Tough as hell and NOBODY makes 'em like that anymore. The only other weapon I've seen with sights protected like that is the SAW. I think both were made that way because both were designed to have the shit beat out of them. When these pistols came out, remember, many cops including NYC if not mistaken, were still carrying Smith Model 10's and such. These things were old and beat to shit. Been used forever and were ready to be replaced. Smith got some departments with the 4506 and others. Smith was likely expecting the 4506 to have the same run as the Model 10. Until Gaston Glock came along.

If you like the adj. sights, make sure you get the pistol that way, don't compromise. It requires a whole 'nother slide to change them out, and the sights themselves aren't cheap either. If you like Novak sights, go for it, but don't get the Novak model and expect to be able to put regular adj. sights on, they don't work. There are adj. sights that fit those cuts, but they aren't the same thing. Also, it costs almost as much to replace the entire adj. sight assembly (wings and all w/Trijicon sights) as it does to just buy another pistol. No joke. 3rd gen Smiths are THE most undervalued quality pistols on the market, period, no arguments.

If you are gonna IWB carry one of these, might I suggest the Milt Sparks VM2? Spreads out the weight and carries quite well for how heavy it is in that holster (but I like that holster for ALL IWB carry, regardless of make or model of pistol). Just here it seems to stand out. You wouldn't think it would make a good IWB carry piece, but it actually does.

If they made an aluminum frame version, I'd get that. Not sure if they made one in .45. They never made one for 10mm, but I know of folks that have modified 4013's into the "1013", the 10mm Smith that never existed.

These pistols are the best bang for the buck by far, so, so undervalued!

I'm not trying to start a huge debate, but I've been around long enough to remember when the FBI adopted the 10mm cartridge and the S&W 1076 pistol (not the 1006). I've talked to people from Smith & Wesson, and I've heard from former FBI agents. I can tell you that both groups point fingers at the other as being the culpable party in the debacle that culminated with the unceremonious return of many of the 1076's to Smith. The crux of the matter was purportedly an ill advised modification to the pistol's design. The standard 1076 was, and is, a highly reliable firearm. Not surprisingly, there was a great deal of politicking that also played a role in the whole affair. In any case, this is all ancient history now. I just wanted to interject a little food for thought .

HRF

I've been a LE armorer for 15 years and seeing your post reminds me, ive never had someone bring me a broken all metal Smith, 4506/4566 etc. I've seen the inside of them in armoere school and nowhere else. I guess they are pretty well built.

You are right. I've been an armorer for our department since 1992 (however many years that is). From that year until 2000 (when we transitioned to the SW99) I maintained our 3rd Gen pistols. They were very good, reliable, pistols. With very few exceptions, the problems that did crop up were shooter-induced. I remember replacing a broken draw bar once, in a pistol with several thousand rounds through it. Otherwise, just the occasional spring replacement was about all the maintenance they needed.

HRF

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strykervet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the 3rd gen. Smiths, especially the big ones! These pistols are at the bottom of the cost chart, but pretty high up on the quality and performance charts...

I have a 1006. The 1006 is the 10mm version that the 4506 was modeled after; they are almost identical in all respects. Considering that the 1006 is THE tank of the 10mm world, I'd reckon that the 4506 is likely the most well built .45ACP on the planet. I'd give anything to see how much it would take to blow one up, in either caliber!

Also, nothing screams "Big ass handgun!" like the 10 or 45 -06. Nothing weighs as much either.

Accuracy... It isn't too bad with the right load, but it isn't custom 1911 accurate either. I bet in .45 it may even do better than 10mm in these particular pistols, but I don't know. The only hang up about them really, and I don't know if this applies to .45, is that the 1006 is prone to jamming up from time to time. This can be alleviated somewhat to a greater or lesser degree by selection of ammo, recoil spring, and just general fine tuning --if something is in the way or not working right, fix it. In case anyone cares, the reason the FBI dropped the 1006 is because of this, not because of the round or women being too small (though that should have been obvious with the 1006). Had the weapons been hand fitted after assembly, they likely wouldn't have had this problem, but it would have made them much more expensive at a time when plastic frames and stamped parts requiring no fitting at all were coming onto the market. If you take this pistol to a reputable gunsmith worth his salt, he can likely get it running quite smoothly.

The crunchenticker trigger... Some are okay, some aren't. I bought two 1006's, and, a la "Good, Bad, Ugly", I proceeded to tear them down and mix and match parts. I then stoned the parts I chose, and put the rest in the other pistol and sold it. The one I sold has an okay trigger. The one I kept is, well, phenomenal for a 1006. Usual pre-travel, almost no over travel. Smooth and crisp. The other one left a lot to be desired. It seems like they didn't do anything to fit them at the factory, so most are in dire need of some kind of smoothing. For instance, the trigger bar is rough as sandpaper! Just smoothing that out makes it feel ten times better. This kind of attention to detail would have made these pistols worth more I think, you can certainly tell the difference between a worked 1006 and one that hasn't been.

Don't bother sending it in to Smith to have this work done. They don't do much of what needs to be done to it, to these kinds of pistols, and they'll also change your parts out if modified (sometimes) as well as re-install the magazine safety plunger (which I removed from mine --I HATE magazine safeties!). If not comfortable doing it yourself, find a competent gunsmith.

Sights. I like the adjustable ones, only way to go. The other one I had came with the Novak sights, just not for me. Those adj. Smith sights are unique. Tough as hell and NOBODY makes 'em like that anymore. The only other weapon I've seen with sights protected like that is the SAW. I think both were made that way because both were designed to have the shit beat out of them. When these pistols came out, remember, many cops including NYC if not mistaken, were still carrying Smith Model 10's and such. These things were old and beat to shit. Been used forever and were ready to be replaced. Smith got some departments with the 4506 and others. Smith was likely expecting the 4506 to have the same run as the Model 10. Until Gaston Glock came along.

If you like the adj. sights, make sure you get the pistol that way, don't compromise. It requires a whole 'nother slide to change them out, and the sights themselves aren't cheap either. If you like Novak sights, go for it, but don't get the Novak model and expect to be able to put regular adj. sights on, they don't work. There are adj. sights that fit those cuts, but they aren't the same thing. Also, it costs almost as much to replace the entire adj. sight assembly (wings and all w/Trijicon sights) as it does to just buy another pistol. No joke. 3rd gen Smiths are THE most undervalued quality pistols on the market, period, no arguments.

If you are gonna IWB carry one of these, might I suggest the Milt Sparks VM2? Spreads out the weight and carries quite well for how heavy it is in that holster (but I like that holster for ALL IWB carry, regardless of make or model of pistol). Just here it seems to stand out. You wouldn't think it would make a good IWB carry piece, but it actually does.

If they made an aluminum frame version, I'd get that. Not sure if they made one in .45. They never made one for 10mm, but I know of folks that have modified 4013's into the "1013", the 10mm Smith that never existed.

These pistols are the best bang for the buck by far, so, so undervalued! </div></div>

If you really want your third or second generation S&W to shine. Send it to Wayne Novak's shop in Parkersburg WV.
His people can do complete trigger, carry, reliability packages for all.

Ok guys, got my 4506 a few days ago and, thus far have put hust ovee a hundred rounds thru her. I must say I couldn't be more pleased. She's a big smooth shootin Caddy imo. I like her as good as my 1994 P220. This 4506 was made in April 1990. I liked the 4506 so well, that tomorrow I will be picking up a 1006. It too is an April 1990 pistol. Has had 39 rounds thru her according to the original owner - a retired police officer. I really feel these 3rd gen Smiths are the best value on the used market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulL01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I really feel these 3rd gen Smiths are the best value on the used market. </div></div>

Shhhhhhhhh....
cool.gif

What is not to love about the 3rd gen Smiths. Ruggedly built and will handle about any load you want. I have had several. The 4506, 4516, and a 457. The 457 was really an underrated shooter and carry piece. They are a little heavy but you won't find a more solid gun. The 1006 was my first one. Wish I had not gotten rid of it. A SH member above mentioned a 1013 which is a 4013 converted to 10mm. Thought you all might like to see one (compared to a G29) -

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulL01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool. I've always carried a P220 but, just really love the looks
of the 4506.
on a side note, I saw a brand new 1006 listed on gin broker
the other day. Man, that right there was MIGHTY tempting. </div></div>

Tell me more about this gin broker thing. Can anyone be a member
wink.gif

Just funnin' ya!
What I like about 4506
Built like a tank!
What I don't like about 4506
Same thing.
I have owned a couple in the past but M&P is the "go to" now. It is a polymer, striker fired world unless you're a NCIS fan
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulL01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I really feel these 3rd gen Smiths are the best value on the used market. </div></div>

Shhhhhhhhh....
cool.gif
</div></div>

Thats a big 10-4! Seriously, Im now wanting to look at the carry and smaller versions too. These are serious pistols.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hrfunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are right. I've been an armorer for our department since 1992 (however many years that is). From that year until 2000 (when we transitioned to the SW99) I maintained our 3rd Gen pistols. They were very good, reliable, pistols. With very few exceptions, the problems that did crop up were shooter-induced. I remember replacing a broken draw bar once, in a pistol with several thousand rounds through it. Otherwise, just the occasional spring replacement was about all the maintenance they needed.

HRF</div></div>

I feel your pain, we went from the ultra reliable 5906 to the single biggest piece of shit SW ever introduced, the 99. Did you go through the mag recall and have all the mim parts replaced? I have never seen so many broken guns with so few rounds through them. We lost 40% to parts breakage in the initial 500 round training class.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hrfunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not trying to start a huge debate, but I've been around long enough to remember when the FBI adopted the 10mm cartridge and the S&W 1076 pistol (not the 1006). I've talked to people from Smith & Wesson, and I've heard from former FBI agents. I can tell you that both groups point fingers at the other as being the culpable party in the debacle that culminated with the unceremonious return of many of the 1076's to Smith. The crux of the matter was purportedly an ill advised modification to the pistol's design. The standard 1076 was, and is, a highly reliable firearm. Not surprisingly, there was a great deal of politicking that also played a role in the whole affair. In any case, this is all ancient history now. I just wanted to interject a little food for thought .

HRF</div></div>

Yeah, it was the 1076. I have the 1006. The other is a bit shorter. Anyway, I've heard all the rumors too, but there was an article in the NRA magazine where the guy responsible for FBI ballistics (for a LOOOONG time too) talks about it (very briefly, it was mostly about how they tested ammo, weapons in general, etc.). This guy apparently was the go to guy for ballistics at FBI. Before him, it was all rudimentary. He brought the science into it. Good read if you can find the article.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulL01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speaking on the 10MM and jamming. I was told to get a Wolf 22#
spring. I got that along with a variety box of 10MM ammo from Double Tap.
Which btw I, highly recommend. </div></div>

I have a box of springs of all weights. I think it has the 22 or the 24 in it now. I was running some hot shit in it and needed them. BTW, haven't had any problems with mine.

"Cadillac" is a good way to describe these pistols.

Yeah, they are the best deal on the used market. Go find another $200 9mm worth carrying daily and I may change my mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulL01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Called Novak. They aren't doing anymore custom work.
All they would do is put sights on it. </div></div>

Crap, had me going for a second...

Cylinder and Slide did 3rd Generation stuff for a while but I dont know of a lot of smiths that did anything. I think one reason is they were so damn reliable, feed ammo, little lube on the rails and you were good to go.

If I could add a rail on mine for a light I would still be carrying it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cylinder and Slide did 3rd Generation stuff for a while but I dont know of a lot of smiths that did anything. I think one reason is they were so damn reliable, feed ammo, little lube on the rails and you were good to go.

If I could add a rail on mine for a light I would still be carrying it.
</div></div>

Right. Thats the impression I got as well before Novak was mentioned

The 4513TSW came with a rail. They are a nice weapon. I just could not shoot it well. The Sig P220 compact is essentially about the same size and has a rail for mounting accessories.