• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

S&W M&P15 made by Stag Arms?

robescc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2010
Everett, WA
I went to a dealer today to look at a Stag Arms AR 15. I am interested in the Model 8. It is the same as the M&P15-OR model as far as I can tell. The dealer told me Stag makes ar's for Smith and Wesson. Is this true? If it is, why is the same gun $1150 from Stag and the M&P $850?
I have thought about doing a build but am pretty new to the AR scene and don't even know what to buy. Is there somewhere I can find a parts breakdown to just build one? Any info is helpful.

Rob

Re: S&W M&P15 made by Stag Arms?

It's amazing how some things hang on in the firearms universe. I have a feeling that somewhere out there is a person who tells others that Springfield Armory products are still being manufactured in a national arsenal in MA. The very first S&W AR's were produced by Stag Arms. S&W has been building them in-house now for several years.

I have no experience with the Stag, but I have no reason to doubt they are anything but good, reliable, rifles. My dept has been running M&P15A's for over 4 years and they have been very good performers. I doubt you will be disappointed with either.

HRF

To answer your question about a part break down, I have found that Midway USA has a nice parts breakdown linked to the part on thier website. I'v used this feature for both my AR and 1911 to find parts that I'm not sure exactly what the official name is. I've also used it to put a build list together.

But just a heads up, in my research it was way not feasable (cost) to build a complete gun. My initial complete price was running up around $1600 for what I wanted. I found it cheaper to just modify my M&P15.