Sabatti STR 6.5CM

Biscuits

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2020
Planning in the next 2 months on getting a 6.5 Creedmoor for medium->long range target shooting. Starting to think about which rifle and I've read a few good things about the Sabatti STR. Cost is about the same as a Tikka TAC A1.

Any user reviews on here?

The Sabatti website doesn't really give me that much confidence in attention to detail: in the English language specs, some in a list of English language info, some stuff is still written in Italian. There are loads of dead links on their website. https://www.sabatti.it/en/products/sport-shooting But maybe their gunsmithing is better than their website skills. There are a few odd things about the rifle, e.g. AFAIK it comes with a 7 round magazine.

Final question - this is one of the few factory rifles in 6.5CM with a 26 inch barrel. Do you get much benefit out of 26 vs 24 inch with a 6.5CM?

I picked up a Sabatti Rover Tac a few years ago. It was new in the box, my FFL was on the owe to me for some work I had done on one of his motorcycles so my cost was zero.

This one is in 308, and it is very very accurate piece, with just minimal load development. 45.4 grains of Varget and a 168 SMK .060 off the lands Lapua brass is yielding me 2870 fps at ~ 6000 feet above sea level and a 6 x 5 target set will agg in the .5 to .6 range . These MRR barrels are really fast, and picking up speed the more rounds down range. Sabatti recommends 'polishing' the barrel after a couple hundred rounds, which I have not done yet, as my total round count is only at around 250 or so. Cold bore is spot on. My buddy was so impressed, he bought a Rover in 6.5 Creed and is seeing the same accuracy as I, with factory match ammunition.

Quite a few niggles with it. 700 'pattern' but its all stupid one off, so no customization. Factory bedding is a joke, trigger is average. Mines a 26 inch, and MTU sewer pipe type contour its heavy, its more of a stationary artillery piece. Stupid off size scope mounting pattern, and lame magazines.