SAC Modular Sizing Die Disassembly Help

jps24

Private
Minuteman
Supporter
Mar 29, 2012
Virginia
Anyone have tips on how to remove the decapping rod from the SAC modular sizing die? Once I unscrew the top cap from the die body I can't seem to figure out how to remove the decapping rod to disassemble the rest of the parts.

Reactions: simonp
Good question, tagged for answers.

You removed the retaining spring in the top right?

Still doesn't seem to want to come loose though

When I unscrew the top cap, the taper adapter is still snug around the er11 collet and decapping rod. So I can't push the decapping rod out through the top of the top cap, if that makes sense

Nevermind. I just had to pry off the taper adapter from the collet and everything came apart easily after that.

I was just about to tell you to take a screwdriver and put it between the collet and and cone shaped tapered piece, and just turn the flat head screwdriver to pop that piece off. But you figured it out.

Since I had the same problem today here's the official answer from SAC according to their mail:
If you ever get one of our die wrenches, they have a tool built into them to pop that right off. Otherwise, when the taper adaptor is stuck, you can grab the assembly by the pin and whack it against the corner of your loading bench, right at the little gap that between the topcap and taper adaptor.