• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Safety first....

HeavyAssault

Dog-Face One-Horse Pony-Soldier (AVN RGT)
Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2011
    Florida
    Knowing what I know, and seeing plenty of the typical Military safety training videos this wasn't a painless way to go out.

Knowing what I know, and seeing plenty of the typical Military safety training videos this wasn't a painless way to go out.

( Tires ) are no joke, and we never even got to play with 777 tires...LOL . we were kids, a common 'wheelbarrow tire' almost killed with using zero brains and hitting the wheelbarrow tire with a 200 psi garage shop compressor. lead to Hospital and arm broken in 7 places.

I gotta say, I'm quite curious as to what/how this happened. We're not dealing with 'untrained teenagers at the local gas-station' and nor are we dealing with 'random machinery hacked-together with binder-twine and duct-tape'.

A family friend whom was an Airport Fireman explained to us some of the exotic metals and situations that can be found in "landing gear" and whatnot..... so this is a "curious" situation.

Last edited:
    Reactions: HeavyAssault
    Years ago I saw photos of an airman in the aircraft tire shop that was killed when the split ring wheel came apart. He likewise came apart, literally split wide open. Only good thing was he never felt a thing.

I blame a lot of workplace mishaps on companies that insist on rotating schedules for the work crew. Only giving one or two days off to adjust for the dayshift to nightshift transition is not enough. This leads to sluggish and incomplete thinking on critical jobs.
    i saw this many times working in hospitals. staying on shift,even nights could be adjusted to. i did. but some place,VA at 1 time forced shift time changes. now there is nothing in nursing or most hospital jobs but 12hr shifts. the error rate is well documented to increase greatly after 8 hours in work that requires attention and alertness. administration does not,never did give a shit 12hr saves them huge $. i have heard that 24hr shifts for emt,fire are +/- depending on where,when and how busy. can't imagine anyone being effective at the end of a busy 24. would imagine the same would apply to cop shift hours.

i saw this many times working in hospitals. staying on shift,even nights could be adjusted to. i did. but some place,VA at 1 time forced shift time changes. now there is nothing in nursing or most hospital jobs but 12hr shifts. the error rate is well documented to increase greatly after 8 hours in work that requires attention and alertness. administration does not,never did give a shit 12hr saves them huge $. i have heard that 24hr shifts for emt,fire are +/- depending on where,when and how busy. can't imagine anyone being effective at the end of a busy 24. would imagine the same would apply to cop shift hours.
    Staying on a shift is the only way to ensure maximum alertness. Permanent nightshift is my preference. Let morning people thrive on dayshift. Let night owls thrive on the backshift.

I dunno, but my favorite shift when I was working maintenance out West, was the 4-12's..... 2 days then 2 nights then 4 days off. (3.5ish, but you get the jist)

That break in the middle made all the difference in the world. Especially when you had to work past the 12, on the day shifts. The training required to 'flip' from day to night and back again, does take some practice. And fortitude. But when you have that worked out, it sure is smooth.

I blame a lot of workplace mishaps on companies that insist on rotating schedules for the work crew. Only giving one or two days off to adjust for the dayshift to nightshift transition is not enough. This leads to sluggish and incomplete thinking on critical jobs.
    Yeah, my brother used to do that working for Michelin for a while when he wasn't working for uncle Sammy and that crap for sure leads to major issues. A week on nights, then 2 days and a week on days ect. Gets to you and causes issues

A very good buddy of mine (son of a very well known drag racer that will remain nameless here) was doing a tire change on the car hauler semi....using the required safety gear cage etc.
    The tire/rim blew apart and ripped thru the cage and he got hisself fucked up pretty good from the ordeal, about a 10-12" long scar along the entire right side of his face and quite a few surgeries to repair some fucked up bone structure.
    He's disgustingly rich now after a bunch of legal wrangling with the cage maker, but would rather have his original face back.

This shit is no joke, if that cage had deflected or ripped apart just a tiny bit differently he would have a head that was nothing more than the fabled red mist.
    I'm sure if you wanted to you could find out who he is....but be nice and respect that the dude has suffered enough already, plz ?

As already spoken about the tire cage is there for a reason. We had a STUPID “on airframe” tire/wheel cage for our aircraft, a design so bothersome it was literally making people not use it. In the end they undertook the effort to make use mandatory (threats or Article 15) along with forcing the Program Manager to create a better “user friendly” solution. Some other detail : Taking a wheel/tire off to just add 5-10 PSI nitrogen was time consuming. Either undertake the whole removal process or get out the tire cage. It always took time…something very valuable to us on mission status.

Whatever the reasoning for not using a safety device all it takes is one recent example to “reset” the mindset at the brutal cost of personal injury or death. I’m not here to defend the management, or criticize the workers. It’s ALWAYS about time…time is money.

Reactions: AmmoFort
    I was an acft mech for the majority of my life. Spent a couple decades at a large luxury biz jet manufacturer in Sav GA. One of the off-shift mechs was filling a nose tire but didn't pay attention to which cart he was using. He connected a 3000 psi (yes, 3000 psi) nitrogen bottle to a tire. Blew the tire and wheel assy (magnesium), in half. Took out part of the nose strut, his foot, several tool boxes and a couple work tables stationed around that acft.

He's is very lucky he wasn't squatting down right in the release path like so many people do without thinking, what if...

They never let him touch an acft again.

Morbid curiosity. What kind of psi are they using. When I was naive I worked in a shop where we did tires and rims fairly often, including split ribs, and never even knew what a cage was. I shutter at some of the things we did.

I was an acft mech for the majority of my life. Spent a couple decades at a large luxury biz jet manufacturer in Sav GA. One of the off-shift mechs was filling a nose tire but didn't pay attention to which cart he was using. He connected a 3000 psi (yes, 3000 psi) nitrogen bottle to a tire. Blew the tire and wheel assy (magnesium), in half. Took out part of the nose strut, his foot, several tool boxes and a couple work tables stationed around that acft.

He's is very lucky he wasn't squatting down right in the release path like so many people do without thinking, what if...

They never let him touch an acft again.
    What psi do they think the tire or rim failed at

Staying on a shift is the only way to ensure maximum alertness. Permanent nightshift is my preference. Let morning people thrive on dayshift. Let night owls thrive on the backshift.
    To really drive that point home, there are studies that show students test scores drop when simply switching desks from when they are learning to when taking an exam.

Now you're changing someone's entire day, routine and life around.

Last edited:
    Reactions: mosin46
    Somehow this randomly showed up in my Spewtube feeds...

Not that "telemetry" or Google/Microshaft spying had anything to do with it......of course not, they are good boys and would never....

It is fitting to this thread though and quite fun to watch.

Reactions: missed
    Somehow this randomly showed up in my Spewtube feeds...

Not that "telemetry" or Google/Microshaft spying had anything to do with it......of course not, they are good boys and would never....

It is fitting to this thread though and quite fun to watch.

Damn that guy had his foot on it seconds before that. Lucky to just walk away with a TBI.

Knew a guy that had his face about ripped off, he was lucky to survive. They literally had to reconstruct the front of his skull. I consider myself lucky to still have all 10 digits and 2 eyes...