New tee just dropped. Shop now!

Grab yours

Sako vs Tikka vs Sauer and cutting Barrels

k80titus

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2021
ny
Hi, First post! Just amazed at the level of knowledge. Thank you in advance for your time and sharing your wisdom.

Here are my questions

Because of rifle and ammo shortages/availability, one is forced to be flexible or wait.
Plan A is buy a Tikka ctr in 6.5cm 8 twist or 308 11 twist 20 inch. Hang a can on it and have a great all around that I can grow into
Plan B is Tikka lite in 6.5 cm 24.3 barrel and hang it on a bravo stock-Cut it down? or rebarrel in 308 and that way I have 2 calibers? What is the downside?

Plan C is consider a Sako s20
Plan D is a Sauer 100

How do you think Tikka vs Sako Vs Sauer debate shakes out in terms of quality, modularity?

Again, thanks in advance

Depends what you are intending to use it for.
Big difference between a light barrel and the CTR.
If it's short to mid range hunting, S20 is a beautiful rifle.
Longer range varmint and steel plinking, go the heavier barrels.
I've got the Super Varmint in 6.5 Creedmoor, it's very accurate.
Don't forget good quality scope, it makes all the difference.

Got to shoot an s20 this last weekend.

Until the aftermarket catches up I won’t hand over my tikka in a krg for one. The ease of getting a barrel to ur house in 3 days in a plethora of cartridge selections.. run a couple different magazine options (single stack aics, CtR and also the factory single stack), swap bolts etc etc.. and they are 500$ all the time.

The only negative I have with factory 6.5 creeds from tikka is how slow they are with factory fodder. It doesn’t quite even put the playing field but a 147 at 2575 in factory fodder isn’t outpacing say Berger 155gr 308 ammo at 2890 that it does in my gun.

Not apples to apples, just a comparison. If i’d Go with a switch barrel i’d get a factory 308 ctr and get a custom cut rifle 21” 6.5. Ymmv

The s20 is a nicer rifle, but it doesn’t shoot tighter groups, nor do I think reliability will be an improvement. For a what you see is what ya get, the sum is greater then the parts.

The sauer s100 is a good gun. I really like how the bolt cycles. It doesn’t feel notchy at all. It has to be the best on any sub 1000$ gun. I’d assume they make good barrels. Stock has reverse comb. Mags double stacked. For a hunting type of rifle, what you see is what you get they seem to be real decent.

But you can’t throw it in a krg bravo. Or whatever custom stock you desire. No pre fits readily available, can’t swap bolts etc etc