• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Range Report Savage 10FP Choate Tactical A5 Range Report (pics)

el gordo2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
San Antonio, Tejas
I bought this rifle after finally succumbing to "you have to give Savage a try" thing. Bought the 10FP that came with the Choate for $600+tax.

I shot it in it's factory configuration 26" barrel at first working up loads with IMR-4895 and R15 using 168 SMK's and Amax's. While the velocities were good at 2750 ish the accuracy wasnt there. I tried many combinations but to no avail. I was bummed as my FN SPR and Rem spsv shot great right out of the box, the Rem by the way with no work up, it really shot well straight from the box. The best this savage would do was 3/4"-1" consistant 5 shot 100 groups.

DSC05435.jpg

I didnt have anything to lose in my book and decided to chop the barrel back to 20 inches, recrown and threaded it for a Thruster brake. While I had the barrel in the lathe for work I decided to go ahead and skim bed the "V" block. After doing the rifle shot about the same, maybe a tad bit better.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago and I found some Varget and right away went to work. It didnt take long to see favorable results with the 168 Amax so I switched to the SMK to see what they would do. The Sierra shoots slighty better than the Hornady and with 1/2 gr less powder to get the same speed.

After shooting several 3 shot groups that grouped tightly I settled on 45.0gr of Varget in a Fed case and 210 primer with a 2.840 OAL with the Sierra Match King. This is averaging 2650fps out of the 20"tube and isnt max but shoots ok.

I shot these 5 shot groups back to back to confirm my load.

MeasuredSavageGroup.jpg

I then took it to 400 yards and came up with these. Had to dial up 8 clicks. Notice how simular these group are to one another, I mean the arrangement of the holes.

Savage400yd168grSMK450grVarget.jpg

400ysavage1010.jpg

I did a little dozer work and was able to extend my reloading room range to 600 yards a couple of days ago and have been banging a steel target I made.

After dialing in +15, this was my first 600 yard 3 shot group.

IMG_1520.jpg

600ydSavagegroup3.jpg

Shot a few more but with 5 shot groups. This one was right at dark and could barely see .

600ydSavagegroup1.jpg

A couple more...

oct17600ydSavagegroup1.jpg

600ydSavagegroup2.jpg

This is my last group I shot, I dont exactly know what I did but I blew the last shot by dropping it at 6 o'clock, spoiled a 2 1/2" groups that was actually pretty centered.

oct17600ydSavagegroup2.jpg

I am now pretty happy I did not give up on this rifle. I was skeptical just like anyone about the Choate stock. It's a decent cheap alternitive in my opinion.In reality after painting it, adding weight to it and texturing the grip the stock is pretty darn solid. I have seen plenty of more expensive rifles here do the same thing and better but for the money spent, at the end of the day this Savage does well in my book.

Re: Savage 10FP Choate Tactical A5 Range Report (pics)

Glad to see everything tightened up for you. I've been teetering on the fence about picking up a choate tactical for my 10fp. The price tag is just so damn appealing on those things and the original intention for me getting the savage initially was a budget gun. THanks for the range report.

I would venture to guess that the primary improvement was the recrowning. When a new rifle won't shoot well, that's always the first place I look for improvement.

I would also venture to guess that all of the improvments you made were useful and valuable, because they resulted in a rifle that more properly suits your needs and wants.

If the owner thinks it needs doing; it needs to be done, no arguments. Life's to short to settle.

Greg

Breathe, I purchased the rifle at Cabela's, I think that's the only place that has that package, it was $600 on sale at the time.

The target can be found here. I am on the way to church right now. Do a search on group target or shot drills.

someone who just got one of these said he had one or two cheek rests in the box to try. choate is choate so id say its the same one across the line. nice results gordo

El Gordo that OnTarget thing is sweet!! Glad I took a look at this!!

All of these positive Savage posts has got me to thinking I need to try one out. I did look at the savage with the HS Precision stock last week and was very impressed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mmedearis509</div><div class="ubbcode-body">El Gordo that OnTarget thing is sweet!! Glad I took a look at this!!

All of these positive Savage posts has got me to thinking I need to try one out. I did look at the savage with the HS Precision stock last week and was very impressed. </div></div>

I did the same thing last year with a 204 Ruger Model 12. I now have 3 barrels with it and it goes to the range (wearing the factory 223 barrel) just about every time. Shoots very well, and it's been quite a joy to own.

You'll be glad you tried them out.

El-Gordo, very nice job all around
smile.gif