• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Savage 516, bolt action pistol, 308.......

michael sr.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2008
Omaha, Nebraska
Savage 516, 308 pistol.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a chance to buy a Savage 516, 308, bolt action pistol.

The 516 has a muzzle brake.

I have a Suppressor, requiring 5/8x24 threads.

If I remove brake are the threads 5/8x24?

====================

I called Savage.com, customer Service: tech questions and the answer I got was: ????

Re: Savage 516, bolt action pistol, 308.......

Is it the adjustable (on/off) brake? If it is, it will be the 9/16-28.

The only brakes that Savage used "normal" threads are on the one the newer models with the baffle style brakes.

Darn, looks as if I might as well have it re-threaded or cut and re-threaded....since no one makes an adapter for those 9/16 to 5/8x24...

I do think it would be a unique set-up tho!

still not sure if I want to get the 516/308....

Buy it and put any bbl you like on it . I got a bargin on one in 22-250 ,converted it to rear grip,put a McGowen 15'' bbl in 260rem on and shot the bbl out at around 3500/4000 rds ,put a CBI bbl in 260rem on , put it in a XLR pistol set up [no buttstock] am now working at shooting this one out this yr in our steel match's to 1000yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dwt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy it and put any bbl you like on it . I got a bargin on one in 22-250 ,converted it to rear grip,put a McGowen 15'' bbl in 260rem on and shot the bbl out at around 3500/4000 rds ,put a CBI bbl in 260rem on , put it in a XLR pistol set up [no buttstock] am now working at shooting this one out this yr in our steel match's to 1000yds. </div></div>
=================================================================================

I picked it up today for a good bit less than 500 when they were asking price 550.00: with Burris scope rings and bases and a cheapO Simmons scope....but I'm gonna sell the rings, bases and scope, and get some good stuff! Then I'm gonna try and figr out how to remove the break, then check the thread pattern.

I think this is gonna be a neat set-up with my Sandstorm...