• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Savage 93

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
www.patriotvalleyarms.com
I had one in 17 HMR which I sold because I never got used to the LH bolt (even though I'm a southpaw) and the 17 ammo was far more expensive than the novelty was worth to me.

I need to get a 22 mag for pig hunting in SC and I'm thinking about getting another 93 again. The trigger was especially nice considering the platform (unlike Marlin's factory triggers)

Does anyone have any reason that a 93 in 22mag is a bad idea? The 17 shot very well, I just didn't know of any recurring issues that might arise.

The factory plastic stocks seemed lousy to me when I handled one months ago, and I generally go for the wood ones for personal taste, but the nagging reminder of tromping around in the swamp after hogs is making me think twice about the tupperware.

Re: Savage 93

i'm a big fan of the .22 mag, however if your going to get this rifle for just pig hunting i'd use something with more "umph" as a dedicated pig rig.

if you do go with it, i'd suggest a fmj ammo to get through the hide or bone to find the vitals or brain.

but i think i'd go with something heftier caliber wise.

The 17 HMR would be more suitable, though I'm not sure that any rimfire is what you're looking for. The 17 has more terminal power until the bullets pass nearly 400 yards when the 22 finally catches up (long out of the effective range of either I might add).

I would get another 17. The ammo is not too bad (can get 50 for about $12), and it is easily the best rimfire cartridge made.

I had the Savage 93 in .22 magnum. It was a nice rifle, but I didn't find the accuracy to be what I was hoping for. I traded it for my Marlin 917vr .17 HMR. The .17 HMR is my favorite rifle out of all I've ever had. I normally shoot at 100 and 200 yards, but I have shot from 300 yards with accuracy. I hear nothing but good things about the Savage in .17 HMR too.

The ranges that I'm looking at with this rifle is 10-50 yards. Unfortunately SC mandates .22 rimfire or smaller bore for any hunting not during deer season. So any centerfire is out of the question. I even thought about a Vetterli or Spencer rifle in one of the late 19th century rimfire BP rounds, but the .22 calber clause in the DNR regs stops that.

I really like the way the 17 shot, but I found myself using it for plastering crows or other little nuisance critters instead of shooting it all that far. On calm days it was almost boring cracking clay birds on the 200y bank with it.

I just don't have much trust of a 20gr FMJ penetrating a hog skull when the MV is only 175 fps faster than the 40gr FMJs you can get in 22 mag. I did chrono the 20gr FMJ ammo from Hornady adn they were a full 100 fps slower than the advertised MV.

I'm looking for MOA accuracy out to 50y, which I don't think is unreasonable for a 93, no?

"Unfortunately SC mandates .22 rimfire or smaller bore for any hunting not during deer season."

WOW that comes as a shock to me. so legally, you can't take a .223, 22/.250, .243, shotguns, etc. for coyotes and/or varmints?

stupid question ----> can you still use shotguns for small game?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Unfortunately SC mandates .22 rimfire or smaller bore for any hunting not during deer season."

WOW that comes as a shock to me. so legally, you can't take a .223, 22/.250, .243, shotguns, etc. for coyotes and/or varmints?

stupid question ----> can you still use shotguns for small game? </div></div>

No shotguns, or I'd be taking my 12ga with 00Buck

I'm a non-resident hunter. Technically you can hunt Coyote with centerfire all year round since there's no closed season, and pigs are stated as "anytime there is an open season for game animals you can hunt pigs with the approved calibers for that game season."

The loophole hasn't been challenged in court though, and as a non-resident I don't want to be fighting the legal battle.

The accepted method of enforcement by DNR officers is that it's OK if it's 22 rimfire or smaller. Otherwise, it's ticket time.

I have a 93 in 17hmr and it shoots really well. Never shot pigs, but i think it could be done.

I vote for the 93 platform for shots at that distance. I dont see why you couldnt tap the brain pan every time if your 93 would shoot anything like my 17. Honestly you could probably pick your headshot zone and minimize penetration woes at that distance. Maybe some penetration tests are in order? Id be happy to shoot a little and document if you have any ideas and no one else has any better experience with this.