• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing savage bolt question

NWASC

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
West Fork, Arkansas
im relatively new here and have searched but havent found anything to answer my question.. im attempting to change bolts knobs on my savages my older pre accutrigger 110 bolt knob retaining bolt came right off but my newer 10fp will not budge i have bent 2 allen wrenches what am i doing wrong?

Re: savage bolt question

The screw was tight on my new 111...I used an allen socket and a long socket wrench to get off, so you might try that. Also, I stripped an allen wrench first and it was one of the silver ones. There are black ones that have harder metal so you might try that too if you have the same problem.

i havent hurt the allens other than bending them and that will get taken care of by the snap on man i think ill try the allen sockets and breaker bar if that doesnt do it its goin to the smith... does anyone have one of the older bolts that use a large slotted screwdriver instead of the allen?

Use an Allen socket with a breaker bar, and if that doesn't do it get ahold of an impact driver. The knid that you hit with a hammer like motorcycle mechanics use.

There's no reason that the bolt won't come apart, unless somebody used some green LocTite on the threads. I've disassembled at least a dozen of these bolts, some broke loose easily while others needed a bit of persuasion.

for any future problems with getting the bolt screw out you can soak the rear of the bolt in atf or use kroil(24)hours.
i had a similar problem with mine when i changed it over to a sharp shooters supply tactical handle

Someone else gave me this tecnique but it worked like a charm. Put an allen wrench into the bolt head, so that it makes about a 120 degree angle with the bolt handle, then set the bolt on a towel, put a towel on top, and stomp on it with your heel. after struggleing with mine, this popped it right off. Just make sure that the stomp loosens the bolt, not tightens it!!!

Another trick is to try to loosen it while in the gun, not cocked. (make SURE its's not loaded) When in the cocked position, the firing spring pushes against the rear bolt causing a lot of tension on it. In the fired position the spring tention should be less and might help a little. Once you have it loose, remove the bolt from the gun and replace the handle.

Also, there is no reason to put locktite on it when you re-install your handle. Certainly not RED locktite! Maybe a small drop of the blue stuff but that's only for peace of mind. I have never had one come loose ever.

Mike

Take a heat gun to the bolt handle next time and you don't have to soak it in anything, put a big breaker bar on it, etc.

The heat will break down the red loctite, just be patient and heat it some, then let it sit for a minute, then heat it a little more, then let it sit. Your goal is to get the whole thing nice and warm without hurting the finish on the bolt. You need the metal to soak the heat through to the loctite.

Works like a charm on all sorts of things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DogFace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Someone else gave me this tecnique but it worked like a charm. Put an allen wrench into the bolt head, so that it makes about a 120 degree angle with the bolt handle, then set the bolt on a towel, put a towel on top, and stomp on it with your heel. after struggleing with mine, this popped it right off. Just make sure that the stomp loosens the bolt, not tightens it!!! </div></div>

works every time for me, put it back on the same way

LongArm