• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing savage loading help

RonHam

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2008
Shoreham NY
I think the feed lips on my short action may be off. Its chambered in .243 and I usually am single round loading. If I just drop a round in it will not feed and the tip usually hits the barrel shoulder and does not enter the chamber. If I press the round down to snap into the feed lips as the bolt goes forward the round angles up but takes a hard swing to the side and jams up again at the barrel shoulder. Sometimes the round will just pop straight out and Im back to square one or worse, like a stove pipe.

Any ideas from the savage gurus?

TIA

Ron

Re: savage loading help

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RonHam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the feed lips on my <span style="font-weight: bold">short action may be off</span>. </div></div>

Short

Glad to try.

One more thought....
Have you checked to make sure the magazine follower spring is sitting flat in the stock?
Sometimes when the action is assembled with the stock, it can get put in with the spring crooked. That can affect loading and feeding.

I just checked the operation of mine.
The round is sandwiched between the lobe in the follower and the right feed lip until the bullet enters the mouth of the chamber.

If this is not happening on yours, I would blame the right lip, the follower installation, or the follower.

Before messing with the feed lips. Check to make sure the follower is installed with the lobe nearest to the rear of the action, and that the spring is sitting flat in the stock.
Also check that the box is installed correctly and both ends are captured in the slots of the action.
If all this is correct, tweaking the right lip may help.

I don't know for sure that these suggestions will work since I have never had this problem. Just giving you my best guess.