• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Savage Mk II "Sings"

Josh Smith

Mosin Fan
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2009
Wabash IN
smith-sights.com
Hello,

I have a Savage Mk II BTVS left hand in .22LR.

When I fire, something vibrates through the stock. It sounds like a spring.

It does have a bipod, but I eliminated those springs as the source of the sound.

I thought maybe it was the barrel until I put a Limbsaver vibration dampener on it. Even then, I held on to the barrel for a couple shots - still rang.

That pretty much leaves the striker spring.

Does anyone have experience with this? I really don't care that it vibrates, unless it's transmitting to the barrel. It doesn't seem to be, but I don't see how it could <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> be, if that makes sense.

Does anyone else have this happening, and if so, what have you done about it? Or does it even need messing with?

I really like the Mk II and this would be perhaps the only shortfall I've noticed thus far. It's extremely accurate even without target ammo, and I find the thumb hole stock to be very comfortable.

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Josh <><

Re: Savage Mk II "Sings"

Does it happen when you have rounds left in the magazine?

If not, it is the spring in your magazine. My .308 does that too -- I like it, I can always tell when I just fired the last round.

Hello,

I have this up on a couple different forums, and it seems mine is not an isolated incident.

At this point I'm thinking it's the striker spring.

I do believe I'll leave it alone so long as it doesn't affect accuracy.

Thanks,

Josh <><

We airgunners find that the proper amount of grease on the mainspring de-twangs the gun to a significant degree.

Grease your striker spring, unless it's REALLY cold.At least you'll KNOW.