• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Savage spotter barrel, is there enough thread

To give you a better answer, some smiths will probably agree to put a shoulder on there for a DT suppressor to index against, but that’s not something I would do personally.

Surefire 1/2x28 mounts will go on that barrel without anything special & Im pretty sure you could run something like an RC2, but I’d email them

E- Fitting that goober tube has a video on the shoulder thing

You will be able to find a smith to do the shoulder thing, but many will turn you away.

Standard threading will cost $100-150, most will up charge $50-100 for the shoulder thing. You’d be sinking $150-250 into a factory Savage barrel, I’d get a prefit that is already threaded

I have a stock savage barrel (223) that I want to thread. I just stuck a caliper on it and at 18” it’s .620.

Is that enough to safely cut and thread on a 223 barrel? 1/2-28 by the way.

Thanks
You can purchase a Shaw stainless 223 wylde with the muzzle threaded for 330 bucks.
The heavy magnum contour is thick enough without being too heavy.
They make a really decent barrel, I have two and bought one for my son, all three are very accurate. That's not much more than having the work done and you get a much better barrel.
You can save 30 bucks and get the cro-mo barrel, but you need to get a finish on it.

For 1/2x28, TBAC shows a minimum barrel OD of 0.600"
TBAC_Centerfire_Rifle_Thread_Guide.jpg

Reactions: R_A_W