Saw my first hit at a mile was fun

atepointer

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    @Mike Casselton on 3rd or 4th shot can't quite remember, but from the target cam voila this hit was perfect elevation and considering full value wind 12-15 dead out of the east I let out a WHOOOOO when he chipped the paint at 9 o'clock! 6.5 24" barrel 140g ELD....so much fun to see. Atta boy mikey

IMG_1677.jpg

Liar, liar! 😁

It was a Berger 140 Hybrid.

41.5 H-4350
    Fed 210m
    Lapua LRP brass
    2700fps

Rifle is a factory Rem 700 24" threaded.
    MacMillan A4
    Harris 9-13" bipod
    Form-1 8"x1.5" can
    Bushy ERS 4.5-30 H59 set on 25x

Winds were tricky, but manageable.
    We had been doing really well on the 1K targets so, why not...

Here's what Hornady DOF said:
    Screenshot_20201106-193059.jpg

It was off a little. I needed another 1 mil up and another 1/2 mil right, but otherwise, it was decent. I haven't done any truing of the app.

Hit on 3rd shot.

My new goal will be a cold bore center hit at the mile.

"My new goal will be a cold bore center hit at the mile." Thats the money shot and when you can make the big bucks for your clients.

@Mike Casselton on 3rd or 4th shot can't quite remember, but from the target cam voila this hit was perfect elevation and considering full value wind 12-15 dead out of the east I let out a WHOOOOO when he chipped the paint at 9 o'clock! 6.5 24" barrel 140g ELD....so much fun to see. Atta boy mikey

View attachment 7464751

where are you guys shooting a mile at? that looks like beach sand

Thats awesome man, a mile with the 6.5 is tricky, but its pretty damn cool when you connect.

I was out at Thunder Valley Precision in Ohio a month or so ago and connected at a mile. Had a weird head wind that was switching back and forth, but elevation seemed to be on every shot.

Savage 24" factory barrel in a B&C stock
    147 ELDM over 41.8gr H4350
    CCI 450's in Starline SRP brass

I ended up at 25 mils elevation and about .5-.6 mil wind when I connected, but kept going back and forth on me.

Thats awesome man, a mile with the 6.5 is tricky, but its pretty damn cool when you connect.

I was out at Thunder Valley Precision in Ohio a month or so ago and connected at a mile. Had a weird head wind that was switching back and forth, but elevation seemed to be on every shot.

Savage 24" factory barrel in a B&C stock
    147 ELDM over 41.8gr H4350
    CCI 450's in Starline SRP brass

I ended up at 25 mils elevation and about .5-.6 mil wind when I connected, but kept going back and forth on me.
    That's crazy on the wind hold. I'm starting to get a feel for what large differences in performance there are in projectiles. Reading about it is one thing, but seeing it side by side with buddies using better bullets....yea I get it now for sure. I shoot the cheap SnB 6.5 140g FMJ and yesterday at 1000 I was holding 2-2.2mils wind....Mike with Berger was holding ~.7-.8 less wind and well over 1mil less elevation. I start my reloading journey today as the press is getting bolted on to my work bench going to use the American Gunner HPBT 140 with H4350.

Reactions: lash
    Don’t you know that you can’t hit anything with a factory Remington or a Harris bipod ?? 🤣

Good shooting, sounds like you both had a blast

That's why I mentioned the Harris.
    Some time during our "winter" I'm gonna try the 1k with my old Savage 7-08, 140 Ballistic tip running a sedate 2675. IMR 3031 and unworked brass.
    It'll have some cheap assed scope on top in cheap assed rings.
    Oh, and I'll use a Caldwell bipod.
    Heads will explode. 😁

Some time during our "winter" I'm gonna try the 1k with my old Savage 7-08, 140 Ballistic tip running a sedate 2675. IMR 3031 and unworked brass.
    Heads will explode. 😁
    My first 1000 yard combination
    B3916070-0EDF-4160-8CEA-9DB9249E0BA6.jpeg

Heads will explode. 😁
    Hair-is bipods r inferior to my Ultra Tight Groups byepots.

Reactions: DMP
    My how you have progressed through the years...from non-alcoholic beer to the awesomeness of the Tactical Tangerine....I bet your skill level and achievements are directly correlated with the discovery and implementation of the family of ninja fruit.
    I’m not up to ninja fruit level yet.
    Still in magical muffin mode.

Reactions: lash