• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Scope and Max range for mp10 6.5

Hostile_SS

Private
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2017
Hi there!

new to this forum but not new to shooting. 12 years/Marine so i am familiar.

While doing research for a scope for my newest toy.

M&P 10 as a 6.5 creed.

trying to pick a good solid scope and after much reading figured if i was going to spend 2k.. why not 2500.. and so goes the slippery slope.

Was decided on the Niteforce atacr (think that the right acronym) 7.5 - 35.

was ok with the 5-25 of same class.

I am of the thought that.. its only alittle more.. i may never use or need that much scope.

But in calling around to see if any gunshops had one i could look at in person, the guy said that maybe that is to much scope for the gun.

I didn't consider that.

So... it is? torn between the 2. the beast is 1k more then i could need.

i might later on in life.. (ok,, later in wife) get a better rifle.. but for now just rather pay now.

any thoughts and great forum. learning more then i did in the Corps. (except the fundamentals!!)

thank you.

EDIT:

I need to learn to read before speaking:
  • What is the platform for the scope? SEMI AUTO ART 10 MP 10
  • What cartridge are you shooting?
  • 6.5 creed.
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Initially just to hit crap at max range. (offhand!) Maybe some type of long range testing of skill.
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Daylight normally.
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? Initially it will be at a local 100 yard range moving up to a 800 yard (Pala) longer range once i get better
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like?
  • What is the price range you can afford? looking at around 3k.

The 7-35 IMHO is way more scope than you need for a 6.5. Same with the BEAST IMO. The NF 5-25 with a mil-c reticle would be a really great scope for that caliber. The ATACR is a great scope. In the price range you seem to be open to however there are quite a few really excellent choices, it's really a matter of sorting out the features & reticle you want. It's kinda hard to make recommendations w/o knowing your plans for the type/distance of shooting you plan on doing though. There is some very good glass out there for less too. You'll undoubtedly get enough varied recommendations it will not make your choice necessarily any easier. Most "stores" don't stock these higher end type of scopes so getting a chance to look through some through friends, at the range, at a competition, etc is always helpful. Most of us buy through tried & true "hide" Internet dealers for the best prices and customer service.

I agree with checking out some of the Hide vendors, but also browse the Optics PX here as I've gotten many good scopes that were essentially new, but at a very discounted/not new price point. At a budget of $2500 for glass, you have a ton of options, minus the TT and Hensoldt. Just like fursniper said though, at that level of scopes, it's mostly gonna boil down to your preference of reticle and other features....locking turrets, zero stop, 2nd rev indicator, etc.

A friend of mine got one of these and it is a very nice semi-auto. After some reflection, I set him up with a nice 3-15x50 and to me this is an excellent magnification range for an accurate semi-auto. TO each his own, of course, but I would be looking at 3-15x50 from Minox or TT, 4-16x42 ATACR F1, or something along those lines.

ILya

Yea check out the Optics Px section on here. If you're looking for a tank of a scope with high end magnification then I have two USO ER-25s for sale. But for that size gun and that caliber, I don't think you need something as big as the ATACR or the BEAST.

WOW.. Thanks everyone.. great insight. At this point looking at moa (still trying to get mil to be as easy as that calculation...lol).

The specific reticle, still deciding.

As i said it ended up being a slippery slope. With veteran discount the vortex seemed doable. But what i was paying i was like.. alittle more and..

then NF discount seemed ok also.

lol..

i will look around. for the time being i got some iron sights and a cheap vortex (so cheap its SFP) for now.

saw a post on the 7 x 35.. or was it the 5 x 25. and the 5 got some concern but not like i am trying to shoot 1000+++

(at least not yet)

i just hadn't considered the weapon in my calculations.

will read up more and again

Thank you all!!!

Last edited:
As i said it ended up being a slippery slope. With veteran discount the vortex seemed doable. But what i was paying i was like.. alittle more and..

then NF discount seemed ok also.

lol..

This is how it happens to me, every time. "But for only a little more..." Then stop getting cheeseburgers every Friday for lunch and all of a sudden BOOM I can afford that!

I think it's awesome that you're doing your research first. So many folks buy, then come looking for answers. Maybe I can help. I have a GA Precision GAP-10 in 6.5 CM. I also have an AI AT in the same caliber. I say this to let you know that I understand about semi's and shooting long distance with the 6.5 CM. The round itself is amazing to me, makes me giggle when I'm taking cold bore shots at 500-600 yds. It's just click, bang, tinggg (impact on steel). I love it.
Now, on to your glass. The unknown factor is how is the accuracy of the rifle? I have no time behind a S&W M&P 10. I've shot their 5.56 gun, and it was ok. No laser, but ok. If it's a MOA gun, then cool, better to have enough scope. 8" at 800, or 10" at 1000, will get hits on "man sized" targets out as far as it sounds like you'll be going. BUT.....here's the thing: you may very well upgrade your shooting platform later. Better to have the awesome glass now, and it will be enough to grow with you if you upgrade. Think long term about your investment. Can't hit what you can't see. Certainly the 6.5CM is easy a 1000yd gun, and heck, the M&P may be as well. I say get ALL the glass you want. Then, you'll always have it down the road. The glass can cover anything you MAY change it to. I had a S&B PMII 5-25 on my GAP-10. I knew I had enough glass for whatever I would do. When I got my AI in 6.5CM, I transferred the scope to my AI, and it is phenomenal. Now, I'm mounting my new S&B PMII 3-20 on my GAP-10. To me, for what I want and do, the 3-20 is tailor made for a super accurate gasser. Plenty of top end to get to 1000+, yet the 3 on the bottom is perfect for up close work. That power range is the cat's a$$ for me on a semi auto.
Sorry for the long post, I just want you to buy once, and be happy long term, instead of "I wish I would have...." down the road.
Platforms change, great glass can be forever.
I would definitely be looking at the NF ATACR F1 5-25. I personally think that's a great scope. To me, just my opinion, the BEAST doesn't do enough more to justify the cost increase. Just me, just my opinion. YMMV.

Thanks Vegas and others!!

yes that is what my train of thought is. I only have access to max 1k (north LA) but closer to home is 800 or so. From what i gather semi auto are not really precision shooters. (compared to bolt action).

but i like the challenge of using my old skills.. (the mind still works but the body is fighting it!!

i saw the video with mil vs moa.. i have time. i am just "use" to inches. maybe i'll pick up a mil to test out on my ar 15.

its either 5x25 or the 7. i don't plan on having a need for less..

and yea the beast is nice.. not 1k more.. shoot the scope costs more then the gun..

who knows long term..

again.. thank you everyone.. great forum!!

learning a lot.. i do appreciate it!!

/hostile