Scope Cover Recommendations

mmiloshoff

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2018
What scope cover do you guys use? I’ve seen a few guys just use a neoprene scopecoat, but I’m not too familiar with their build quality. Looking to get a new ATACR 4-16 and want to keep it decently protected when not in use.

Honest to God I use the Butler Creek bikini covers on my two ATACR's, a 4-16 and 5-25. I wasn't too big of a fan of the Tenebraex covers so I took them off and haven't really regretted it since then.
Really? Why's that? I've never been a big fan of the butler creek ones as I find them too stiff and brittle. I end up breaking mine all the time plus sometimes it's a major pain that they dont flip back far enough to be flush with the scope. I've never owned tenebrax caps so maybe I'm overlooking something here.

I've been a big fan of Vortex defender caps since they're moderately priced and extremely hard to break. Plus, you can store a dope card in the front cap.

Side note, don't all nightforce scopes come with tenebrax covers to start with? maybe try them to start with and move to something else if you don't like them instead of buying something right off the bat.

Really? Why's that? I've never been a big fan of the butler creek ones as I find them too stiff and brittle. I end up breaking mine all the time plus sometimes it's a major pain that they dont flip back far enough to be flush with the scope. I've never owned tenebrax caps so maybe I'm overlooking something here.

I've been a big fan of Vortex defender caps since they're moderately priced and extremely hard to break. Plus, you can store a dope card in the front cap.

Side note, don't all nightforce scopes come with tenebrax covers to start with? maybe try them to start with and move to something else if you don't like them instead of buying something right off the bat.
Yeah they come with the Tenebrax caps, but I’m I guess I’m talking more of an actual cover for the scope while it’s in the safe to prevent from rash and whatnot.

I'm not talking about Butler Creek flip up covers, I'm talking about the one-piece rubber bikini covers. I ditched the Tenebraex covers because the rear one always seemed to pop off easily so I just pulled them both off. The bikini covers will still protect the lens and they're easy enough to get on and off.

Reactions: DairyDictator
Yeah they come with the Tenebrax caps, but I’m I guess I’m talking more of an actual cover for the scope while it’s in the safe to prevent from rash and whatnot.
I see what you're after now, I guess my next question would be why? Considering the hard anodizing nightforce scopes come with, it seems to me like rash shouldn't generally be a problem until you take it out in the field and drop it on a rock or something. The glass will be protected by the flip caps.

The Armageddon Gear Trojan might be worth a look into. A buddy of mine has one and loves it. Protects the scope and doubles as a carrying mechanism.

i am using a ScopeShield.
big strap makes it easier to put on and take off.
you can wrap the strap around your rifle if you use it hunting in the field to protect it from the weather.

under 20 bucks.

31Z8x9-4wtL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_PIAmznPrime%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C-5_PIStarRatingFOURANDHALF%2CBottomLeft%2C360%2C-6_SR600%2C315_ZA(133%20Reviews)%2C445%2C291%2C400%2C400%2Carial%2C12%2C4%2C0%2C0%2C5_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

not affiliated with the company.

I see what you're after now, I guess my next question would be why? Considering the hard anodizing nightforce scopes come with, it seems to me like rash shouldn't generally be a problem until you take it out in the field and drop it on a rock or something. The glass will be protected by the flip caps.

The Armageddon Gear Trojan might be worth a look into. A buddy of mine has one and loves it. Protects the scope and doubles as a carrying mechanism.

if you're hunting in the rain and snow...you might want to keep it out of the weather until you are ready to take a shot.

Reactions: mmiloshoff

I figure that if I’m spending the money on the scope, I might as well make sure I keep it protected. Especially if there’s a relatively cheap way to do so.

Reactions: DairyDictator
Exactly. If I’m spending the money on the scope, I might as well try to keep it protected as much as I can.
of course. i have never spent this kind of money on a hobby before. i was saving for my kid's college.

but this isn't just about getting a little water or snow on a waterproof scope.
this kind of cover is quiet and quick compared to flip ups
if you hunt all day and your one chance at a shot is ruined by a drop of water on your lens, well fuck that if you can help it.
i also like extra protection when it is packed for travel, because i might have to sell it to somebody that cares about cosmetics. ?

My Kahles came with a cover. At first I thought I wouldn't care for it. But I like it now. But I don't hunt with that rifle.
If you like end cap covers check out aadmount.com

Snag yourself a scope and crown cover from Blackhawk, Eberlestock, etc. you can disconnect the crown portion (it unclips easily) if you don’t need it on there. They are both padded and will protect your optic from drops, riding in the back of vehicles, being strapped to a pack and falling, or just chilling in the safe. The Blackhawk and Eberle have a top handle to carry the system like a suitcase, but I don’t agree with carrying a system like that.

Scopecoat XP6 is my choice for the 525 atacr. I have them on my of my optics and been using them for years. No complaints. I was about to win some Phoneskope neoprene covers this year. I test fit them and when tested, looked very promising.

I have the Armageddon Gear Trojan. I like it a lot. It's not cheap at $87.99, but it is very well made. It's sturdy enough with straps and Velcro attachments to carry your rifle with the carrying handle. I keep it on when it's in the safe for a little extra project and use it at the range just to cover my scope up when not shooting. I think it's a good investment to protect our expensive scopes. PS watch the video.

I use Butler Creek tactical cover for my eye piece.

Been planning to replace the objective side standard semi-plastic Butler creek cover with vortex or any other quality flip-up but so far the it has held on.

Tactical model being 100% rubber, the hinges are nearly indestructible. The hinge is the number 1 weakness on other scope covers as you may have also noticed.

They are also very silent to use and non-reflective by nature.

And having rubber to rubber contact when closed, it held water easily away.

Also being quite soft rubber they also soften any hits directed at the optic.

I cannot find them anymore on their website, it seems they have discontinued it?