• 12 Hours Left: Use code HIDE40 to get 40% off subscriptions

You've got until midnight to get 40% off. Pick your plan below!

Subscribe

Rifle Scopes Scope decision help!

vt_tac

@vt_rifle
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2018
Vermont
Hi everyone, first post, excited to be here.

Recently ordered a Tikka T3X CTR with a 24" barrel in 6.5 CM. Looking for an optic to top it off. Have access at home to 400 yard range, but would like capabilities out to 1000 if/when the opportunity presents itself. Will be hunting with the gun (not necessarily the primary use) so weight and bulkiness is somewhat of a consideration. FFP, MRAD preferred. Was originally in the 5-20x range, but am now questioning if the 3-18 variety would suit my needs and be in a more compact package. Any advice there is appreciated as well.

I've obviously been doing a lot of research, but its difficult to compare via other threads and other price points. I have access to some pretty decent discounts, so im trying to take the best advantage of that. Due to agency pricing "confidentiality", i'm give non-exact prices.

Budget is about $1,500. I added the Razor HD Gen 2s to the mix, but they are more than I would LIKE to spend. However, I could always flex the price range a little bit...

I have no hands on experience with any of these scopes, but have used a NF NXS 5.5-22x50 for work.

Here are my thus far contenders;

Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 FFP MRAD 5-25x50 ~$850 (Backordered for a considerable time)
Vortex Razor HD Gen 1 FFP MRAD 5-20x50 ~$1100 (This was my top contender, but it seems quite bulky)
Vortex Razor HD II FFP MRAD 4.5-27x56 ~$2,000 (Higher than ideal price point)
Vortex Razor HD II FFP MRAD 3-18x50 ~$1,800 (Higher than ideal price point)

Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 ~$1,100

Leupold Mk 5 HD FFP 5-25x56 ~$1,400

Leupold Mk 5 HD FFP 3.6-18x44 ~$1,200 (Top contender at the moment due to size/weight and features)

Any advice regarding these or any other options would be greatly appreciated. I hope my post is clear and would be happy to answer any follow up questions!

Thanks!

Last edited:
I vote for the razor gen 2 3-18. I have the 4.5-27. It’s heavy and I never dial above 15 on the magnification. Even at 1400 yards. The glass is fantastic and you won’t be disappointed

I have a Mark 4, 5 & 6 and quite a few PST's and the Mark 5 is fantastic and the one I would recommend. The Tremor 3 reticle is busy but once you learn it it is fantastic.

Thanks! I have a few follow up questions to that. Any experience with the TMR? Do you feel that the lack of illumination in the Tremor 3 is an issue for low light? Thanks again.

OP, I'd highly recommend looking at the Tract Toric 4-20x50, if you don't mind .5 mil hash reticles this one is hard to beat for the price, I just finished a review of it at opticsthoughts and compared to the Mark 5 3.6-18x44 the Tract definitely has an edge IQ wise, it is a little on the heavy side but it is short for a 4-20...
https://www.tractoptics.com/products/riflescopes?category=62

In your price range, don't dismiss the SWFA HD 5-20. I own a CTR 24" in 6.5 CM with one on top and I've taken it to 1,100 yards.

I do think the AMG and Razor Gen II 4.5-27 are both better scopes, but whether or not they're a better value depends on how much you value your money.

I do think the SWFA is a better value than the SHV or PST2 and probably better than the Razor Gen I. I can't speak to the MK 5 HD, but I've just never been a Leupold fan.