• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

scope for 17 hmr

Re: scope for 17 hmr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shedhorn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for under $400 what whould be the best scope and brand for my 17 hmr </div></div>

What is it for? Targets? Small game? Both? What kind of reticle do you like? Do you want target/tactical turrets?

There are lots of scopes for under $400. One that is tops for hunting may not be suitable for a match shooter.

it is for hunting small game. iam not sure what kind of reticle i want. i was thinking about puting a lepold 3x9 on it and calling it good but i have been readind alot the last few weeks and have heard alot of bad things about lepold. as far as turrets i think target whould be fine. thank you for your reply

There is nothing wrong with Leupold scopes. They're just not as top end as some might believe (though they certainly are not junk either). I would mount one on my rifle any day.

a 3-9x is probably a great range for hunting small game, though something like a 4-14 may prove a bit more versatile, especially if you're trying to hit small critters at 150 or 200 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shedhorn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">other than lepold what brand would also be good? </div></div>

Bushnell
Falcon
Nikon
Nightforce
Trijicon
About a million others

I would likely skimp a bit (read: not spend too much) and get something in the Bushnell/Falcon/Nikon range.

I found the caliber was more limiting than the scope after I realized the limitations of the caliber in the wind and in power. It doesn't take much of a cross wind to make those little bullets drift at 100yds. I thought I would be able to hunt with it out to 300yds, but some real world trials proved other wise for me. I lessened my expectations of the scope once I saw this. I try to keep shots on small game to 150yds or less and try for heads if I can get them at that. If the wind is blowing at any decent rate, mine stays in the truck. They are a blast to shoot though.