Scope for bushmaster AR15

Makinchips208

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2021
Idaho
Asking for a friend. My brother wants to put a scope on this bushmaster. It is over 18 years old, fired very little, and quite accurate.

For reference, he has red dots, Nightforce 1-8 and others, leupold, etc. but wants some advice for this one.

Quote from him “don’t really want a 1-8. But want a scope to get the most potential out of that weapon. Obviously a big scope would be a waste, but wanna get a good match for the bushmaster primarily for hunting. Don’t need illumination. But wouldn’t mind it.”

He asked about a NF 2.5-10x24. Thoughts?
He said he won’t buy a vortex. No offense.

• What is the platform for the scope? Semi-auto, AR-15
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 223 or 556
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Hunting critters out to the effective range of the rifle.
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Daytime. Typical hunting hours.
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 003-600 yards.
  • What is the price range you can afford? $0-$1,500
74414960258__BA9CBE42-5B31-495C-AEF6-819F87D5A6E1.fullsizerender.jpeg

Any further questions or something I missed just ask and I’ll get an answer.
Thanks for any and all replies.

Last edited:
Trijicon 1-8 LPVO in the classifieds will be way below budget, not sure what current MSRP is these days, very good glass for the price.

Id probably be looking at a Leupold MK 5 2-10 but that is going to push the budget.

Reactions: Makinchips208
Trijicon 1-8 LPVO in the classifieds will be way below budget, not sure what current MSRP is these days, very good glass for the price.

Id probably be looking at a Leupold MK 5 2-10 but that is going to push the budget.
Thanks! And if the mark 5 is too costly would the mark 4hd 2.5-10 be sufficient?

AND...give them a call in Orofino. Super nice folks work there. I had an NXS with their velocity 1000 reticle but could never get the speed i needed for that reticle. I called them, stopped by Hazen Lane on my commute to work and they swapped the reticle to the MOAR in about 30-45 minutes and did not charge me a dime. I still have that scope.

AND...give them a call in Orofino. Super nice folks work there. I had an NXS with their velocity 1000 reticle but could never get the speed i needed for that reticle. I called them, stopped by Hazen Lane on my commute to work and they swapped the reticle to the MOAR in about 30-45 minutes and did not charge me a dime. I still have that scope.
I wondered about that scope. Looks cool.

If it’s on 8x or at max power do you think it’s a bit better than the atacr1-8 or nx8 1-8 if they are on 8x?

Thanks for the replies. I see there are some good threads currently running on this very issue.

Seems an LPVO is the usual recommendation for a rifle like this.

I wondered about that scope. Looks cool.

If it’s on 8x or at max power do you think it’s a bit better than the atacr1-8 or nx8 1-8 if they are on 8x?
I'd go with that one just because it would be more period correct. I mean, it's a heckuva scope and so are the atacr and nx8. I figure he'd be ok and happy with any of them...I would. But putting it on that old Bushmaster would be more appropriate, just my opinion and you didn't even have to pay $0.02

• Love