scope for tactical rimfire matches??

Re: scope for tactical rimfire matches??

there's a bunch out there, just depends on your budget.

just because it doesn't say rimfire on the scope's box, doesn't mean you can't put it on it.

i just googled "side focus 20 yard adjustable objective, mildot scope" ...and got numerous models / manufacturers ranging from under 120.00 to 500.00, barska to leopold to nikon to bushnell, to millet, etc.

I know allot of people that shoot air rifle scopes and love them. Can't tell you about the elevation adjustment but they have the close objective and hold up to the 22 style recoil that can ruin scopes like an air rifle can. DONT GET A CHEAP FOREIGN JOB like NC STAR and the likes.

swfa SS 10x would be really hard to beat for price, quality of glass, and elevation travel.

And get at least a 20moa base no matter what scope you get.

I have a conquest 4.5-14 on one rifle and a NF 3.5-15 on another. With my NF, I have a 30 MOA base and that leaves me with a crazy 85 MOA travel from my 50yd zero...

I am a firm believer in get all the scope you can afford. Nothing more aggrevating than scope either not tracking or not enough travel. Also, I really like matching knobs to recticle. (moa/moa or mil/mil, but matching is very nice feature.)

Regards,
DT

I went with a 16X SS on my Savage and couldn't be happier. It meets all your requirements except the side focus, mine is on the rear. Not a big deal at all to me. I have around 80 min elevation to work with and I'm zeroed at 50 yards. Hard to beat a SS for the price!

I tried to put a Nightforce on top of my "tactical" .22, but it wouldn't focus down to 50 yards.

My only advice would be to try to at least see in person whatever you're going to buy. If that LRS1 that you are referring to is the Millet, it's almost going to be bigger than the rifle. I'm shooting a 6-24X PST right now, but it only goes down to 50 yards or so.

The Bushnell 3-12 x 44 FFP is mil/mil and has side parallax adjustment down to 10 yards. They have about 21 mils of elevation travel which is more than enough to get you out to 250+ yards. I'd use a canted base and/or Burris signature zee rings with offset inserts to ensure plenty of useable elevation travel (for reference, you'll need about 9 mils of elevation to get out to 225Y with Wolf match target with a 50Y zero.)

I have a pair of the 3-12 Bushnell FFPs; one sits on my .22 and one on my precharged air rifle. Because both rifles have the ballistics of a rock the elevation knobs get a lot of use and the scopes have held up and track extremely well. Glass is quite good; the Bushnell is much sharper and resolves noticeably more detail than the 4-16 Vortex PST I had for a very short time.

The only real gripes I have with the Bushnell 3-12 FFP is that there is a bit of a fisheye effect to the image at the bottom end of the magnification (very noticeable in the 3-4x range) and the eyebox gets a little tight at 12X and if you aren't perfectly behind the scope at 12X the reticle will go gray and out of focus. Neither issue makes it unusable but they're the weak spots of the optic IMO. Still a great scope for the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't be standing out there after Desertfrog's thread </div></div>

True that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kiba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Bushnell 3-12 x 44 FFP is mil/mil and has side parallax adjustment down to 10 yards. They have about 21 mils of elevation travel which is more than enough to get you out to 250+ yards. I'd use a canted base and/or Burris signature zee rings with offset inserts to ensure plenty of useable elevation travel (for reference, you'll need about 9 mils of elevation to get out to 225Y with Wolf match target with a 50Y zero.)

I have a pair of the 3-12 Bushnell FFPs; one sits on my .22 and one on my precharged air rifle. Because both rifles have the ballistics of a rock the elevation knobs get a lot of use and the scopes have held up and track extremely well. Glass is quite good; the Bushnell is much sharper and resolves noticeably more detail than the 4-16 Vortex PST I had for a very short time.

The only real gripes I have with the Bushnell 3-12 FFP is that there is a bit of a fisheye effect to the image at the bottom end of the magnification (very noticeable in the 3-4x range) and the eyebox gets a little tight at 12X and if you aren't perfectly behind the scope at 12X the reticle will go gray and out of focus. Neither issue makes it unusable but they're the weak spots of the optic IMO. Still a great scope for the price. </div></div>

My comments about the Bushnell 3-12 mirror yours.It's a great scope for the money.I like the fact that it focuses down to 10Y.Been on a 22lr,a Hunter field target PCP and a Pistol field target PCP as well as a couple centerfires shooting out past a 1000Y a couple times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If that LRS1 that you are referring to is the Millet, it's almost going to be bigger than the rifle.</div></div>

Yep, and the stock that is on the gun right now makes the scope look small. Got a good deal on it. Just need to figure out how much base to put on it for the 140 MOA scope.

I went with a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 with side focus and mil-dot reticle (but MOA knobs) for my CZ-452. Mounted the scope in Burris Extreme rings on a US Optics base that Dave Walker installed for me a couple years ago. Awesome setup. I am very happy with it. The scope parallax will adjust down to 50-yards.

Glass is clear and the knobs track well.

I put a 6500 2.5-16x42 on my TR for now w/ an EGW 20moa base.
22trainer001JPG.jpg

Mildot reticle subtends @ 10X, side focus down to 15yds, & plenty of UP (78 moa total) with the 20 moa base.

Looking forward to joining in the fun of the online rimfire matches...

For a rimfire you really want the focus adjustable down to 25 yards. Any good scope will have descent power but most wont go that focus range. Another great technique in the 10/22 is to thread the barrel into the receiver. Mine shoots all ammo like a laser.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I notice no mention of the weaver grandslam tact 3-10 mil/mil!

Any reason? </div></div>

No side focus. I've been shooting all day with that scope though, works for me out to 100 no problem.

Ive got a Bushnell 3200 5-15x40 tactical on my Anschutz. Focus to 10yds, Mildots, Target Turrets, only 40MOA of adjustment but Im going to solve that with Burris Signature Zee Rings. Great scope and only 350 USD from amazon of all places. Ive used on my 308 out to 900m so I know the scope can handle anything that rifle will throw at it.

I have a Midway/Vortex Viper HS-T Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4-15x 44mm Side Focus 1/10 MIL Adjustment VMR-1 MRAD Reticle on my CZ and it dials' down to 25 yards. There newer one is a 4-16x but is otherwise the same. The Vortex Viper PST Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 2.5-10x 44mm is also a good choice. I like that it dails down to 2x and 10x is more than enough to shoot accurately out to 200 in a tactical setting

Last edited:
If you are looking for a cheaper scope then consider Midways BSA tactical 4-14 ffp mil/mil. Best scope going in the price range.

Might be best to keep the scope I an using. Its a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x40 Adj Obj. I sent it in to Leupold and added M1 turrets and TMR recticle.

I pulled it off a 308 AR. Thinking now I should just install the SWFA SS 3-15x42 on the 308 and leave the Pimped out VX-III on the rimfire.

BMT