Scope Height - Bell & Carlson A2

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I would like to buy a scope and rings for a rifle build I am doing and it would be helpful to know what height rings (and brand/model) have worked for others when using the Bell & Carlson Medalist A2 stock. I will be using a 30mm tube. Shooting is done off a bench, while seated on a stool.

Thanks.

- Phil

Re: Scope Height - Bell & Carlson A2

Seekins 30mm Medium (.87 height) or Medium High (.92 height) depending on whether or not you like to use a stock pack/cheek piece.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Special Delivery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depends on scope objective, 50mm I would go with medium rings, anything less I would go with low rings. </div></div>

+1

Here is my savage specs

short action
Krieger CBI full contour 28"
EGW 20MOA base
SS 5-20X50
Seekins LOWS
B&C A2

Appears to be enough clearance for butler creek caps. Rings any higher and bad cheek weld. I still need a small bit of rise to the comb for better weld but the stock isn't too high on my shoulder. Pretty comfortable.

Hope this helps.

Mount the scope as close to the barrel as possible for proper cheek weld on that stock. It really depends on what barrel diameter, the height of your scope base and ring height. It can be a tricky proposition to say what ones will work unless someone has the exact same barreled action and scope as yours.

This info helps. I prefer a lower mounted scope, which will be a 50mm with caps. The action is a Howa 1500 which I do not have yet, so best to wait until I receive for best fitment. Especially if the B&C A2 presents a cheek weld problem if scope is a tad too high.

- Phil