Minuteman
Jul 18, 2023
Texas
Good morning gentlemen.
I’m looking for advice on a scope.
About me:
65 years old, 20/20 corrected vision with bifocals
Never been in the military, no idea how mils or MRAD works
The rifle this is going on is an 18” .223 wylde AR mostly to be used for hunting hogs, coyotes and god forbid a 2 legged critter. I have bolt action rifles for deer.
I will put a red dot on this rifle for the up close work.
I’m looking for something in the 800 dollar range any recommendation is appreciated

Intended hunting range is going to be huge here.

My backdoor coyote rifle (.223) wears a 1-8x. It is great for hogs and yotes for the typical ranges I shoot them at (250 and in, and usually in the 75 - 125 yard range most of the time).

Past 250, the effectiveness of the .223 round starts to fall off pretty rapidly, so getting a scope with a high top-end magnification is not a priority as much as getting something that you can bring up to the eye quickly.

Reactions: mrmarklin
That’s where I was thinking also, I’ve been looking at the various 1-8 and 1-10’s. Not opposed to the Christmas tree reticles with either fire rings or dots just unsure of how to use and difficulty of learning

That’s where I was thinking also, I’ve been looking at the various 1-8 and 1-10’s. Not opposed to the Christmas tree reticles with either fire rings or dots just unsure of how to use and difficulty of learning

One thing I learned several years ago shooting an 18", .223 at critters: Most 62-77gr ammo will drop right around .75 - 1 Mil @ 250 yards. Since I don't shoot past that at living stuff, it makes it pretty easy as I just hold 1 Mil at my max range and let fly (1/4 mil off is 2-1/4", so still hitting vitals). I go halfway between the center crosshair and the 1 mil for 200.

Windage in a 10MPH crosswind is about the same as trajectory too. Keeps it simple as usually I'm catching them off guard and I don't have time to play with dialing.

A very simple reticle with half-mil marks works great here.

One thing I learned several years ago shooting an 18", .223 at critters: Most 62-77gr ammo will drop right around .75 - 1 Mil @ 250 yards. Since I don't shoot past that at living stuff, it makes it pretty easy as I just hold 1 Mil at my max range and let fly (1/4 mil off is 2-1/4", so still hitting vitals). I go halfway between the center crosshair and the 1 mil for 200.

Windage in a 10MPH crosswind is about the same as trajectory too. Keeps it simple as usually I'm catching them off guard and I don't have time to play with dialing.

A very simple reticle with half-mil marks works great here.
That’s what I was curious about. I know 1 Moa equals 1.047 inches but seems to me that mils would be easier to do the math on the fly as it is 0.1 increments dialing in 10 would equal 1 mil.
Would you get FFP or SFP reticle. And is the Sig Romeo 1-10 a good scope?

I do not run anything high-speed. On my ranch rifle (18", .223) I run a Burris XTR II 1-8. I'd happily get rid of it, but the damn thing just takes constant abuse riding around the ranch in the SxS and refuses to quit or lose zero. When it dies I will replace it with something a little better. The glass isn't great, and it has a lot of fish-eye effect at 1x. I've killed dozens upon dozens of hogs and coyotes with it though.

I also use a 1-6 Vortex PST Gen II with the MRAD reticle. The glass is better than the Burris by a lot, and it performs solidly as well.

I also run a Trijicon Credo 1-6 on my "home offense" rifle. It is my least proven LPVO, and the segmented circle is a BDC.

Reactions: Jughead