Scope selection

Longgun-308

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2019
I was wondering what everyone is running for scopes on 1000 yard plus rifles. Im looking for something that has the best glass possible. I understand nightforce an vortex have the same glass, from LOW Japan. I plan on shooting past 1400 yards and I’m looking for something that’s clear in in all weather conditions.

Ive been looking at tangent theta, is there glass any better than vortex? And I’ve had some experience with s&b in the marine corps. I like their glass I’m not a huge fan of the functionality of it though. Really great scopes
Have you had a look through the gearlists of King of 1 mile / 2 mile ?

I am a nightforce junkie through and through. I own a beast 5-25, atacr 7-35, nx8 4-32, nxs 12-42. between price point, glass quality, features, reticles, etc. its just what i prefer.

i’ve peered through a decent amount of high end glass (being i live an hour from euro optic)

IMO, you will get to a point where the glass quality gets good enough that i doubt 99% of people could shoot the difference.

best glass possible? probably the new tangent 7-35 (not sure on eta)

personally? for the price tag i’d rather get 2 ATACR 7-35’s in second focal for all out ELR.

i’d suggest finding somewhere you could fondle these scopes and see how you like the reticles, feel of the clicks, and other features. for example, i dont like the vortex razor turrets and how they zero. s&b 5-45? i hate the super thick reticle because of the FFP. the only way i would have known is unless i handled them personally. take these suggestions and go with what feels and looks good to you.

another good option i didnt see mentioned was the new zeiss scopes.

my buddy brought over a lrp s4 4-25 and i was very impressed by the glass clarity, reticle. 160 moa elevation. price point is there too.

good luck with your choice!

ps i attached some sample glass photos at long range for you to look at (not mine). unless you trying to resolve a gopher head peeking out of the grass at a mile away, it wouldn’t be justifiable

Attachments

• ED4C1ED0-D211-4478-846A-1FF7A9B6BD11.jpeg
    ED4C1ED0-D211-4478-846A-1FF7A9B6BD11.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 11398C5A-748A-4FEB-B053-0A868176F05E.jpeg
    11398C5A-748A-4FEB-B053-0A868176F05E.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 91EE17CE-8068-4C41-B49F-30EB28530010.jpeg
    91EE17CE-8068-4C41-B49F-30EB28530010.jpeg
    292.9 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
@Sigma I actually can't believe that I can tell a noticeable difference bettween the TT and PM2 in your pictures. I wish you had a ZCO up there also. ZCO is coming out with a new model with 10 mil revs and supposedly the turrets feel as good or better than the TT, That is what I would do if you can wait.

That’s an awesome comparison, I really appreciate it, thank you.
I am a nightforce junkie through and through. I own a beast 5-25, atacr 7-35, nx8 4-32, nxs 12-42. between price point, glass quality, features, reticles, etc. its just what i prefer.

i’ve peered through a decent amount of high end glass (being i live an hour from euro optic)

IMO, you will get to a point where the glass quality gets good enough that i doubt 99% of people could shoot the difference.

best glass possible? probably the new tangent 7-35 (not sure on eta)

personally? for the price tag i’d rather get 2 ATACR 7-35’s in second focal for all out ELR.

i’d suggest finding somewhere you could fondle these scopes and see how you like the reticles, feel of the clicks, and other features. for example, i dont like the vortex razor turrets and how they zero. s&b 5-45? i hate the super thick reticle because of the FFP. the only way i would have known is unless i handled them personally. take these suggestions and go with what feels and looks good to you.

another good option i didnt see mentioned was the new zeiss scopes.

my buddy brought over a lrp s4 4-25 and i was very impressed by the glass clarity, reticle. 160 moa elevation. price point is there too.

good luck with your choice!

ps i attached some sample glass photos at long range for you to look at (not mine). unless you trying to resolve a gopher head peeking out of the grass at a mile away, it wouldn’t be justifiable
That’s an awesome comparison, thank you for that. So you prefer nightforce over tangent? Why?

Reactions: Taylorbok
That’s an awesome comparison, I really appreciate it, thank you.

That’s an awesome comparison, thank you for that. So you prefer nightforce over tangent? Why?
the tangent costs near double of a nightforce, but does that equate to a 2x performance increase in hit percentage?

I sure don’t believe it would, and if it did, the difference would likely be sub 1% if i had to guess.

I would bet I would personally do worse with a 25x tangent vs my 35x nf for long range precision work. many elr shooters value mag over glass clarity (to an extent), if the tangent offered any sort of advantage over NF then thats what the top people would be using.

I think nightforce, as a whole package, offers the best of everything (in my opinion) for the price point.

Attachments

• 7E4AE6FB-FD12-471C-8911-CCA7751CF875.jpeg
    7E4AE6FB-FD12-471C-8911-CCA7751CF875.jpeg
    504.9 KB · Views: 60
the tangent costs near double of a nightforce, but does that equate to a 2x performance increase in hit percentage?

I sure don’t believe it would, and if it did, the difference would likely be sub 1% if i had to guess.

I would bet I would personally do worse with a 25x tangent vs my 35x nf for long range precision work. many elr shooters value mag over glass clarity (to an extent), if the tangent offered any sort of advantage over NF then thats what the top people would be using.

I think nightforce, as a whole package, offers the best of everything (in my opinion) for the price point.
I always run mag backed out a bit and In my experience most do. You aren’t fighting Mirage as bad which makes it easier to see splash.

In almost any tech area, the cost versus benefit analysis is not linear. The best is still the best and if you put in the time and effort, you may be able to appreciate the best. It gets subtle, so it takes experience to really see the whole difference. If money is not an object, why not drop the coin on a TT or ZCO? If you like having the best and you have lousy vision, you won't shoot the difference, but there's nothing wrong with wanting to own the best. If money is an object, midrange optics have gotten much better, so it's not like an Atacr is a piece of shit. In fact, it's a great quality scope that will get you close to the best.

Out of scopes I’ve had
I would say
TT Zco
S&b pmii, Zeiss lrp s5,
Nightforce atacr, Steiner m7xi
I didn’t notice a huge diff from tangent to the Steiner all are top quality in my eyes can’t go wrong any
And best in a budget would leupold mark 5

In almost any tech area, the cost versus benefit analysis is not linear. The best is still the best and if you put in the time and effort, you may be able to appreciate the best. It gets subtle, so it takes experience to really see the whole difference.
I often use the phrase “I am not good enough yet to notice or take advantage of the difference.”

-Stan

I agree with 100% with the high end scopes I’ve had I decided I’m not a good shooter to really know what makes better then the other and the top tier all seem so close to me
And my other context is, if I wanted to put in the time to get good enough to notice or take advantage of the difference, I would end up sacrificing more important things in my life during this quest.

-Stan

I often use the phrase “I am not good enough yet to notice or take advantage of the difference.”

-Stan

I agree with 100% with the high end scopes I’ve had I decided I’m not a good shooter to really know what makes better then the other and the top tier all seem so close to me

thats because its not really all that important as some would lead you to believe.

if tangents and zco’s were that much better then you would see them on all the top ELR shooters rifles.

those people shoot much better than i do, and if they can’t see an advantage than neither will I.

thats just my opinion, although with the new 7-35 tangent coming out i believe that may change.

Reactions: stanley_white