• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Scope Weight, how does a heavy scope affect accuracy?

Quatro1122

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2024
Missouri
There are just too many scope options out there nowadays and I am paralyzed.
I have a .308 bolt gun and the scope weighs 24oz. It was expensive and I like it. But, I bought a new barrel for my Encore and even though it is a heavy barrel this setup is pretty light being a break action.
I was reading up on the Arken EP5 and it seems to check all the boxes except that it weighs over 39oz. The price is less than 1/2 the scope I put on the .308 almost 1/3.
I have asked around and no one I know has an Arken I can look through or borrow for a test run.
I hate to purchase a dud that I am gonna hate. With all the good specs and reviews I was wondering if the weight on top of a relatively light rifle would cause buyers remorse?

The encore rifle barrel was selected based on the relatively light recoil of the 6.5 Creedmoor and generally for hunting out of a blind usually with a decent rest and target shooting with my grandson. He is just showing interest in hunting and I want something that is high enough quality that he can learn to shoot longer ranges and hunt up to deer sized game with. We can reach out to 500+ yards at our farm.
I guess that was my question really. Will the balance of the rifle suffer with a scope that is almost a full pound heavier than anything I have ever used before?
I have never shot a rifle with a scope anywhere near that heavy before.
Or will it not really be noticeable.

Not sure, have you checked where the rifle does balance? On a PRS it should balance just forward of the mag well ( barricade shooting) for hunting it depends on your stand/blind and what rest your grandson will use?

Just went down and checked. balance with the new barrel is about 2" in front of the trigger guard, no scope. I am pretty sure that is right where the win mag balanced with the Leupold 3-9x50 on it. Held the Win Mag barrel with scope on it up and that is also about the center of the scope with my eye relief. He is a bit taller than I so his eye relief might be a bit different but I can't think too much. We'll get it set up for him when we sight in. Our rest in the blind is either a window with a bag or a tripod with a bag on top in the popup blinds.

The EP5 is a heavy little hog

Not sure how it will balance but in my experience the EP5 (at least mine) suffers a lot on the low light spectrum. I have mine on my B14R which works well for daylight shooting

Thanks, the low light situation is definitely real during our firearms seasons. Sounds like I should look at other options. Leupold has always done well in low light for me. Probably staying in my lane and crying once is in order.

I appreciate you both taking the time to help me think through the possibility!

Thanks, the low light situation is definitely real during our firearms seasons. Sounds like I should look at other options. Leupold has always done well in low light for me. Probably staying in my lane and crying once is in order.

I appreciate you both taking the time to help me think through the possibility!
All part of thee SH full service plan🤣