• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Scoping advice for a Savage mk II TRR

Doc_Navy

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2010
Florida
Hi guys...

I just bought a Savage Mk II TRR (the one with the accessory rail) and am looking for a decent scope to mount on it.

What I plan to do with this platform:

I'm setting this rifle up as a trainer for a Savage 10 FCP McMillan. My plan is to work at sucessive 50yd increments, staying at one range until I can make acceptible shot groups then move out to the next 50yd increment and repeat until I am at 250+

That said, I have read that one of the main problems with shooting .22LR out past 200 is that it's tough to dial it in on your scope as many tend to run out of clicks.

Any scope suggestions?

Hansii

Re: Scoping advice for a Savage mk II TRR

I have a TR and put a Tasco 6X24 Milldot Target on it and I love it. I know I can get it to 200yds without a MOA base not sure about 250. I'm looking @ the Rimfire Technologies 25 MOA base for mine but it wouldn't work on the TRR. Maybe you could shim the back of the rail to get you past 200.

Hansii,

I am sure you get many opinions. You mentioned that you are using this as a trainer to match another rifle. I did the same and took into consideration what optics I have on my .308. It is a USO with a Canadian Mil Line reticle. I wanted something very close to this. I ended up choosing a Falcon Menace scope which I bought used for $300. Nice thing is Parallax focusing goes down to 25 yds. Great for Appleseed project which I am doing on Saturday but definitely had enough clicks to get out to 200 yards with a standard base. I have since changed the base to a Rimfire technologies since I have the TR only. This scope does double duty between the TR and my AR-15.

When searching for your scope take into account that when utilizing Match ammo at 1050 fps you are looking at 55" or 27.5 MOA drop at 200 yds and 97.5" or 39.25 MOA drop at 250 yds. That should give you the appropriate numbers to determine if the scope will work for your needs.

Juan

I use the same Tasco 6-24 Varmint/Target scope, mounted in simple Tasco medium rimfire rings. My rimfire trainer rifle is the absolutely most basic Savage MKIIF.

Mine has worked fine without any base slope (75+MOA of elevation adjustment available), but tends to run o/o elevation beyond 200yd. You can still hit at 250 using a couple of mildots for holdover.

Though I have been a champion of using the .22LR at extended distance as a representative LR trainer; my own LR shooting ceased a couple of years back, and now I mainly shoot C/F at 200yd, and simulate it with rimfire on 1/2 sized targets at roughly 80yd. Pretty near identical Time of Flight and drop, acceptable drift, and reasonable overall performance.

I admire the goal of reproducing the ergos of a respectable C/F rifle, but my own experience is that the very barest bones basic rimfire trainer approach will deliver just as good a training experience. I'd rather save the monetary difference and invest it in decent rimfire ammo.

Good ammo's just not getting any cheaper, and I prefer to put my meager bucks where they'll do me the most good.

Greg

I have a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-25x50 on my 10/22 built on a NoDak Spud reciever. I think my 10FP needs a new scope because I'm not taking the Bushnell back off the 10/22. It makes shooting a .22 at longer ranges fun. The new Bushnell Elite 4200 3-12x44 mil/mil scope looks nice for the money. They have 80moa which should let you dial to 300 yards.

bushnell 3200 fixed 10x. Mildot reticle, 80 or 100moa internal adj. cant remember. my friend runs one and shoots at 300 all the time with his savage .22

I have the Savage 22 Mark II synthetic stock(plastic s#!7) with a Tasco target varmit.......was shooting a 55gal drum at 500yds (with hold off) - two weeks ago- lotta fun...had the scope since last summer, its had a few knocks and bumps, nothing serious, but I can't complain..

Hi Guys,

Firstly, I really appreciate the advice given by the commenters. So far the overriding opinion seems to be the Tasco Varmint. (Which I have checked out.) I had a friend make me look at a sheppard scope for a .22LR, but I just can't see myself spending upwards of $600 for a scope I can't mount on anything other than a .22

I'll be looking hard at Tasco, if there are any other suggestions I'll look. thanks again for all your help so far.

Hansii

I've gotta second the Mueller APT & either of the available sloped bases, and as odd as it may sound, for as cheap as it gets the centerpoint 4-16x40 that walmart sells for $70.I have one on my Savage 64 and it is great from 25 out to 100yds though I suspect it wont have enough elevation without a base to get out much farther than 150yds. Its clear and dead on repeatable. The APTs only advantage is clicks are more positive and the 30mm tube gives you more of them.

+1 on the APT. It's a great scope for the cash. Mine, however, had a problem holding zero. Sent it back to Mueller, where Dave tested it on a couple of rifles, and my replacement should be here Monday! Two week turnaround on that. Great customer service from Mueller.

My Savage MKII FV has worn many scopes, but I keep reverting back to the Center Point 4-14x40. I ordered a MKII TRR through the local gun shop before they were released and am waiting patiently for it's arrival.

Center Point, really? You know, you're third guy to mention CP to me for use on a .22LR. I've done a cursory check, and I notice that most of the CP scopes only come with about 40 clicks. Is than enough to get out past 200yds? Or am I going to be using mil dots for holdover?

Hansii

I have a CP 4-16 on a Savage 64 and it is great, but wont make it out to 200. It should with a 20 or 25moa base tho. It is an excellent scope for the money and is dead on repeatable switching back and forth from 50 to 100. Do a search for Top Predator's MKII f budget build. He goes into detail on it.

Just thought I'd give you guys an update.

I went with the Tasco varmint 6-24x42 mil-dot.

Bought it from Opticsplanet.com for $88.34 delivered via UPS (free shipping)

After I recieve it and get it mounted, I'll post a range report.

Thanks for everyone's input, I gave it all a lot of thought.

Hansii.

If there is anyone else in this same quandry, take a good hard look at the Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50mm. SWFA has the 1" tube model for less than a c-note.

I will have a full review up in a week or so. I have it mounted on my 40XB right now, but the Leupold STD rings cause it to run out of elevation (probably due to the lower rear bridge) past 100 yards.

At 50, this scope rocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Am180man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mueller APT 4.5x14. 145.00 delivered at www.mizzoumuleguns.com. Excellent scope....30mm tube, mil dot reticle, tactile .25 moa adjustments. Nice glass for the money. </div></div>

Just got mine last week to test out, haven't put it through the paces, but the glass is excellent for the price point and the knobs/clicks are good.

I dunno if joeboboutfitters for the APT is the cheapest by far but at least you can get a free shirt out of the deal.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a TR and ... I'm looking @ the Rimfire Technologies 25 MOA base for mine but it wouldn't work on the TRR. Maybe you could shim the back of the rail to get you past 200.</div></div>

How do you know the RT base won't work? Isn't the TR and TRR action the same as all other Mark II actions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Dude</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a TR and ... I'm looking @ the Rimfire Technologies 25 MOA base for mine but it wouldn't work on the TRR. Maybe you could shim the back of the rail to get you past 200.</div></div>

How do you know the RT base won't work? Isn't the TR and TRR action the same as all other Mark II actions? </div></div>

I hope so! My gun local gun shop told me that my TRR will be here by the weekend. I'll pick it up on Saturday. I have a EGW 20 MOA rail on my MKII FV & will probably buy the RF 25 MOA rail for the TRR. I bought a Sight Mark 4x16-44 scope a month or so ago. It's on my Tikka Varmint .223 right now. I have shot with it, but havent really gave it a work out yet. From what I've seen so far, the glass is clear & it has returned to zero every time. I'll put it on the TRR for awhile & see how good it really is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crash97</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dunno if joeboboutfitters for the APT is the cheapest by far but at least you can get a free shirt out of the deal.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

i looked EVERYWHERE...he's the cheapest by $20

I have a Savage Mark II with a SS10x on it. I think its exactly what you need. PLEANTY of adjustments. and they are repeatable. parallax adjustment. decent glass. total affordable package

My Millett 6-25x56 LRS-1 Tactical 35mm Riflescope will focus down to less than 25-yards, and it offers 140MOA of elevation. IMHO, it would be perfect for a .22 trainer.

http://swfa.com/Millett-6-25x56-LRS-1-Tactical-35mm-Riflescope-P40395.aspx

It is repeatable, has good glass, and Bushnell's lifetime warranty. A bargain at $469.

Chops

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crash97</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dunno if joeboboutfitters for the APT is the cheapest by far but at least you can get a free shirt out of the deal.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

I hear they're coming out with free coozies (already made, just need to be thrown on the web) and working on laser engraved wooden knives...a little birdy told me
cool.gif

They do have pretty competitive pricing...doesn't hurt to email em either, I hear they work well with customers
cool.gif

The APT is a pretty sweet scope..like a Mueller APV on roids!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kansas45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope so! My gun local gun shop told me that my TRR will be here by the weekend. I'll pick it up on Saturday. I have a EGW 20 MOA rail on my MKII FV & will probably buy the RF 25 MOA rail for the TRR. I bought a Sight Mark 4x16-44 scope a month or so ago. It's on my Tikka Varmint .223 right now. I have shot with it, but havent really gave it a work out yet. From what I've seen so far, the glass is clear & it has returned to zero every time. I'll put it on the TRR for awhile & see how good it really is.</div></div>

Who did you hear that from? As far as I know the RT rail should work (I've never handled one) Isn't the only difference the stock, etc? The action should be the same. I'd be interested in knowing for certain for customers...I'll shoot RT an email about it and see what they have to say, to verify.

P.S. where in Kansas are you? From Hays here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Dude</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a TR and ... I'm looking @ the Rimfire Technologies 25 MOA base for mine but it wouldn't work on the TRR. Maybe you could shim the back of the rail to get you past 200.</div></div>

How do you know the RT base won't work? Isn't the TR and TRR action the same as all other Mark II actions? </div></div>

Sorry I meant to say you would have to remove the existing rail that came with the TRR to mount the RT base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Dude</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a TR and ... I'm looking @ the Rimfire Technologies 25 MOA base for mine but it wouldn't work on the TRR. Maybe you could shim the back of the rail to get you past 200.</div></div>

Sorry I meant to say you would have to remove the existing rail that came with the TRR to mount the RT base. </div></div>

Kinda' what I thought you meant. My TRR didn't get here today. It will probably be Tuesday now. I'll order the RT rail on Monday. They have a brake that looks interesting, so I think I'll buy one of those too.

I've been doing some research on the same topic, and here's what I've decided to go with:
I currently have a Viper PST 6-24 on order for my .308 bolt gun, so I decided to order a Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50mm for my Mk II. It has 75 moa of elevation and paralax can be adjusted down to as little as 10 yds. It can be had for about $199, or $120 with a ill. reticle.
I've been hearing great things about them, so I have a feeling I will be happy with it. I thought about going with the 4-16, but I prefer the tall turrets that come on the 6-24.
I would like a FFP, but unless I can find a used Falcon Menace by the time I'm ready to buy, FFP is probably not in the cards, as I've been doing quite a bit of shopping lately.
I'm debating on whether or not to go with a EGW 20 moa base.

Hansii, Depending on the Dollars you want to spend, and what you want to do mainly with the rifle. My recommendations are:
$200 Range-Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 #32-1040M
$300 Range- SWFA's Super Sniper 10x, or 16x42
Both have Target Turrets and are Decent Glass for the money!
Just my 0.2 cents

For the Tasco recommenders: Is the Tasco MADE IN USA? That's so hard to find anymore, and at that price I doubt it. I just thought I'd check.

Edit: Nevermind I just found out that they are, of course, made in China.