• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Screws in my rem700 were loose...bad effects?

Tomekeuro85

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2007
Chicago Suburbs, IL
I took apart my rem 700 for the first time last night...

The rear action screw was barely finger tight, it was next to zero resistance to unscrew it.. The front one was a little tighter but still fairly loose.

how tight are they supposed to be? As loose as they were, could they have had an effect on accuracy? It doesn't shoot horribly but it has shot better in the past...

Re: Screws in my rem700 were loose...bad effects?

While i have a different setup, after i picked up my 5R bedded in an MCM A5, my gunsmith stressed the screws being 45 pounds per inch with a torque wrench if i remember right. What rifle is it? Here is a video of larry potterfield tightening a regular BDL 700. I'm sure someone that has more knowledge on the subject will chime in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeOL0PTBTDc

I have a remington 700 VLS in .223 26" barrel 1:12 twist, completely unmodified with the factory wooden stock. I'm going to free float it also since I have it off.

its about 8 years old and i've never re-tightened the screws or otherwise messed with the rifle in any way. I just figured id take it apart to get it ready to send for rebarreling and i found the loose screws.

So at this point i'm thinking that the accuracy might significantly improve just by tightening the screws properly and free floating the factory barrel in which case I might not even put on the new barrel till this one is shot out.

With the factory stock and bottom metal...35 to 45 in/lbs is where you want to be. More than that with the factory bottom metal and you run the risk of cracking the bottom metal.

Yes,that can have an ill effect on accuracy. The torque you need is dependent on the type of stock. I'm pretty sure that the standards are 45inch-pounds for a wood stock, 65inch-pounds for a fiberglass stock or similar with an aluminum bedding block. And 55inch-pounds for AICS.

Depends alot on how tight or well it fit the stock. IF it sat in the stock pretty descent it may not have affected it alot, big IF though. I would sure tighten both front and rear to 40-45 inch pound and see how well it shot. Odds are it will shoot better snugged down good then it did with them loose. If barrel wasn't/isn't free floated that would/could allow it to shoot ok loose. Free float the barrel and tighten screws correctly and you may be surprised at difference!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depends alot on how tight or well it fit the stock. IF it sat in the stock pretty descent it may not have affected it alot, big IF though. I would sure tighten both front and rear to 40-45 inch pound and see how well it shot. Odds are it will shoot better snugged down good then it did with them loose. If barrel wasn't/isn't free floated that would/could allow it to shoot ok loose. Free float the barrel and tighten screws correctly and you may be surprised at difference! </div></div>

Why not add in a bedding job while your at it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dimar1492</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Why not add in a bedding job while your at it? </div></div>

Actually probably exactly what I'll do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dimar1492</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Why not add in a bedding job while your at it? </div></div>

Actually probably exactly what I'll do. </div></div>

It's a pretty cheap modification that has the potential to greatly improve consistency

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dimar1492</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depends alot on how tight or well it fit the stock. IF it sat in the stock pretty descent it may not have affected it alot, big IF though. I would sure tighten both front and rear to 40-45 inch pound and see how well it shot. Odds are it will shoot better snugged down good then it did with them loose. If barrel wasn't/isn't free floated that would/could allow it to shoot ok loose. Free float the barrel and tighten screws correctly and you may be surprised at difference! </div></div>

Why not add in a bedding job while your at it? </div></div>

Just trying to make a cheap point that might meet his expectations for accuracy prior to turning it into a money pit. Start simple and if it doesn't work you're not out anything!

But then what the hell do I know!!!

Edit to add that if you can bed them yourself then it is a cheap route. If you're going to ship it off to someone and pay $200 or more than I wouldn't classify it as a 'cheap' solution, especially if it doesn't improve accuracy. I have put thousands of rounds down factory tubes that weren't bedded and only freefloated. Figured thousands of dead pdogs over the years was proof that sometimes things don't have to be expensive to get results!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dimar1492</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depends alot on how tight or well it fit the stock. IF it sat in the stock pretty descent it may not have affected it alot, big IF though. I would sure tighten both front and rear to 40-45 inch pound and see how well it shot. Odds are it will shoot better snugged down good then it did with them loose. If barrel wasn't/isn't free floated that would/could allow it to shoot ok loose. Free float the barrel and tighten screws correctly and you may be surprised at difference! </div></div>

Why not add in a bedding job while your at it? </div></div>

Just trying to make a cheap point that might meet his expectations for accuracy prior to turning it into a money pit. Start simple and if it doesn't work you're not out anything!

But then what the hell do I know!!!

Edit to add that if you can bed them yourself then it is a cheap route. If you're going to ship it off to someone and pay $200 or more than I wouldn't classify it as a 'cheap' solution, especially if it doesn't improve accuracy. I have put thousands of rounds down factory tubes that weren't bedded and only freefloated. Figured thousands of dead pdogs over the years was proof that sometimes things don't have to be expensive to get results! </div></div>

I wasn't disagreeing with or knocking anything you posted,i was just adding another inexpensive option that could possibly aid in accuracy. I think you mistook my post for sarcasm,which it wasn't. A simple bedding job is pretty cheap and easy to do yourself and thought it would be a good addition to what you already reccommended. I also have seen factory rifles shoot pretty good after floating the barrel and often even better after a simple glass bedding job.

If the stock does not already have them, add aluminum pillars in the action screw holes when you bed it. That way you will be able to torques consistently without compressing the wood.