• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Selling large quantities of LC brass?

TimK

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2010
Woodland Park, CO
www.timkulincabinetry.com
I have a chance to bid on some large lots of Lake City .223, .308, and .50 BMG brass. I see others selling the same thing, and I'm wondering what kind of market for it there might be. Supposing I were to try to sell it for the following prices, do you think I could move it readily? I'm contemplating selling it uncleaned. Mistake or good idea?

.223 - $75/1,000
.308 - $170/1,000
.50 BMG - $75/100

This will be a big investment for me, on the order of $10,000, and I really don't want to make a mistake. I welcome any input, especially on how well it might sell and appropriate pricing. Final bids go in next week.

Re: Selling large quantities of LC brass?

New or used? It would bring that back when there was a brass shortage. I think I paid up to $100 per 1k of once fired 223. Not so sure how fast you could move it these days after everyone stocked up with the expensive stuff during the shortage. Also if this US Mil. range stuff a lot of it has been through a full auto which tends to stretch it a bit.

If you can get it for less than scrap prices after transport fees and all it may be a good investment.

Here is a potential price benchmark for a well known source with great customer service Tim -

http://store.brassmanbrass.com/servlet/StoreFront

Note that he has access to 1x commercial via his contracts with several shooting facilities, not just .mil government auctions at Fort Carson
wink.gif

Go look at places like scharch, brassman, etc to get an idea of good selling prices.

I wouldn't buy a ton of it unless you could get it for half the going rate.

Cleaned but nothing else done to it would probably be a good balance between selling someone dirty, ugly, brass and stuff that has been resized and trimmed in a way that they don't like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a potential price benchmark for a well known source with great customer service Tim -

http://store.brassmanbrass.com/servlet/StoreFront

Note that he has access to 1x commercial via his contracts with several shooting facilities, not just .mil government auctions at Fort Carson
wink.gif

</div></div>

We did a survey of a number of sellers, including brassmanbrass. I think the prices we're considering are close, I'm more interested in the level of interest. BTW, the auction is not at Ft. Carson. Wish it was.

Before the last Pres. election, I bought 4k once fired 5.56 L.C. brass for $70.00/1k shipped in an ammo can.

Wish I could find that guy again.

I need to pick up a few more thousand, probably around 8k.

let me know if its a go for you and how much $$.

If you decide to buy go and get a Cement mixer, your gonna need it for cleaning all the brass. I had one for many years and it worked wonders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This will be a big investment for me, on the order of $10,000, and I really don't want to make a mistake. I welcome any input, especially on how well it might sell and appropriate pricing. Final bids go in next week. </div></div>

Not meaning to rain on your parade. But my old Daddy always told me to not put all my eggs in one basket.

That's kept me from loosing EVERYTHING more than once. I've lost a sh*t pot full of money in different investments and business ventures. Make sure you can handle a total loss before you do anything. Then if you actually make money, it'll be a good suprise.

Good luck.

Think about it real carefully before tieing up EVERYTHING. Keep some aside for a rainy day.