Setting up 1 mile range

Put a wireless repeater every couple hundred yards so your GoPro can take pretty video of your hits while you control it from your bench. :)

But yes...make it easy on yourself and clear away the grass and everything around your targets so you can easily spot your misses and adjust accordingly. There is not more frustrating than being on at 400...and then 500....600...700...800...900...1000...1100...1200...and then the wheels fall off and you can't tell which direction you need to adjust...the thicket around the target just soaks up any signs.

Also, multiple sizes. Bigger than you want....and smaller than you want...and all sizes in between. So you want to shoot a 12"x12" plate?....well put a few up...but add that 36X36 too...and if you are hammering that day...put that 8" round out there as well.

Jasent's advice is spot on. Its all about seeing splash. See it and you can adjust. Don't see it and you are just wasting ammunition. Avoid backstops that just suck up your trace/splash (e.g. forest, heavy shade).

Then get a nice spotting scope and have a great time!

Reactions: jasent
Put a wireless repeater every couple hundred yards so your GoPro can take pretty video of your hits while you control it from your bench. :)

But yes...make it easy on yourself and clear away the grass and everything around your targets so you can easily spot your misses and adjust accordingly. There is not more frustrating than being on at 400...and then 500....600...700...800...900...1000...1100...1200...and then the wheels fall off and you can't tell which direction you need to adjust...the thicket around the target just soaks up any signs.

Also, multiple sizes. Bigger than you want....and smaller than you want...and all sizes in between. So you want to shoot a 12"x12" plate?....well put a few up...but add that 36X36 too...and if you are hammering that day...put that 8" round out there as well.
Would you please give a little more info on the equipment required, specifications, etc on setting up a wireless repeater (system). I live in a rural area, but do have WiFi. This range will be directly behind my house. This may be a dumb question (if so, apologies) I just don’t have any tech skills. Thanks

Would you please give a little more info on the equipment required, specifications, etc on setting up a wireless repeater (system). I live in a rural area, but do have WiFi. This range will be directly behind my house. This may be a dumb question (if so, apologies) I just don’t have any tech skills. Thanks

Most people would think they could simply go to Home Depot and buy two boxes of Cat5e or Cat6 network cable and either lay it on the ground or up on a pole and string out the cable to a mile and hook up a camera to view their hits. However, Cat5e has a 100 meter limit...328 feet...when used at acceptable speeds. You can use slower speeds and get further distances but you still aren't going to get to 200 meters...much less a mile. You could do some powered network switches every 100 yards...maybe a little solar panel and battery and run your switch and put a camera every 100 yards to view each target.

I believe the maximum distance for a GoPro to your phone is about 50 feet...and a WiFi Remote option can do 600 feet to control the camera...under optimal conditions. So, again, maybe some wireless repeaters like found above your head in 99% of offices to help get the company WiFi into all the hard to reach areas of the multi-story building.

A lot of people set the camera and then drive back to the shooting area and start shooting...I think a Hero7 can record for 2 hours at low def...but let's say you buy a $75 16GB card and want to get some fancy 4k footage...you can do 10mins....a $130 32GB card will get you 20mins of 4k video....best opt for the $250 64GB stick and get 40mins of 4k video so you can start record and drive back a mile....set up...start shooting and hopefully get all your hits....or simply go with 1080p and call it a day.

Me?...I wish I had this problem...I'd set up a camera system and computer at the other end of the range and control it all with a remote desktop app with a laptop or pad. I am jealous...extremely jealous that you have a place to shoot like that. On most days, I'm begging to shoot 600+ Yards on someones farm...I have to promise them a dead coyote or pig.....I'd rather shoot steel.

Most people would think they could simply go to Home Depot and buy two boxes of Cat5e or Cat6 network cable and either lay it on the ground or up on a pole and string out the cable to a mile and hook up a camera to view their hits. However, Cat5e has a 100 meter limit...328 feet...when used at acceptable speeds. You can use slower speeds and get further distances but you still aren't going to get to 200 meters...much less a mile. You could do some powered network switches every 100 yards...maybe a little solar panel and battery and run your switch and put a camera every 100 yards to view each target.

I believe the maximum distance for a GoPro to your phone is about 50 feet...and a WiFi Remote option can do 600 feet to control the camera...under optimal conditions. So, again, maybe some wireless repeaters like found above your head in 99% of offices to help get the company WiFi into all the hard to reach areas of the multi-story building.

A lot of people set the camera and then drive back to the shooting area and start shooting...I think a Hero7 can record for 2 hours at low def...but let's say you buy a $75 16GB card and want to get some fancy 4k footage...you can do 10mins....a $130 32GB card will get you 20mins of 4k video....best opt for the $250 64GB stick and get 40mins of 4k video so you can start record and drive back a mile....set up...start shooting and hopefully get all your hits....or simply go with 1080p and call it a day.

Me?...I wish I had this problem...I'd set up a camera system and computer at the other end of the range and control it all with a remote desktop app with a laptop or pad. I am jealous...extremely jealous that you have a place to shoot like that. On most days, I'm begging to shoot 600+ Yards on someones farm...I have to promise them a dead coyote or pig.....I'd rather shoot steel.
Thank you sir, really appreciated

I'd buy something 'like' it...but not that one....you have to put the camera way to close to the target according to some...and at a mile...I don't know if I trust my wind calls that much....I'd probably hit the trasmitter with the first shot...heh. Also, I'd like something a little better than 720p if I'm purchasing something new.....it is 2019... 1080 should be the minimum...and a zoom feature is a must.

I believe there is a simple app that allows you to "connect" two smartphones, so the one by the target transmitts (via the mobile network) its picture ("video") to the phone by the shooter.
requires of course mobile coverage.

Thanks guys. Does anyone use a drone for this application or are there simply less expensive/ better ways to do this (besides playing with a friends for 15 min or so I know 0 about them)?

Hi,

Drones "can" be used but sadly, most of the recreational drones have horrible battery life so using one can be done but probably not in the sense you are probably thinking.
But you can fly drone down towards target and land it with camera facing target but out of impact area.
This will save your battery and allow you to shoot more than 20 minutes.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Reactions: seansmd
Hi,

Drones "can" be used but sadly, most of the recreational drones have horrible battery life so using one can be done but probably not in the sense you are probably thinking.
But you can fly drone down towards target and land it with camera facing target but out of impact area.
This will save your battery and allow you to shoot more than 20 minutes.

Sincerely,
Theis
You also need an additional person or trust hovering routines, and rush to get on the gun or spotting scope.