• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Setting up the Turret on a Scope

DEERSLAYER

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2013
I am having trouble finding information on how to set up the turret for my gun. I also am not sure how to find how many clicks that I need for this, is there a computer program, or an equation? Thanks

It should be in 1/4 MOA (Minute Of Angle) increments, where 1 MOA is 1.047 inches at 100 yards. Bore sight by pulling the bolt and looking down the bore at a identifiable object about 100yds away, then adjust your reticle until it rests on the same target. Shoot to fine tune for a 100 yard zero, then you can go to this link: http://jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml

Input your data for your rifle, ammunition and atmospheric conditions, and it will give you your drop adjustments to shoot point of aim/point of impact at distance. You can also use many smart phone apps such as Shooter on Droid devices or Ballistic AE for Apple devices to apply easy adjustments in the field or on the range.

The biggest thing you're going to need to know is your bullet's velocity to have this work efficiently, so if you don't have a chronograph and are trying to guess, well it works on the saying of "junk in, junk out". The rest of the info you can get from the internet with a bit of research, such as ballistic coefficients and such. There is a wealth of information on here concerning ballistics and adjustments. Be more specific in your questions and we can help you more.