• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

SH October Rimfire Comp. Scores

Re: SH October Rimfire Comp. Scores

OCT. sh scores

100YP-TQ4

Name: TOP PREDATOR
Class: scope
Rifle: savage mkII
Ammo: Aguila G. Eagle Match Rifle
Match: 100YP-TQ4
Score: 292-9x

100YP-35RDP

Name: TOP PREDATOR
Rifle: savage mkII
Ammo: Aguila G. Eagle Match Rifle
Match: 100YP-35RDP
Score: 30 of 30

200YP A-21

NAME: TOP PREDATOR
CLASS: SCOPE
RIFLE: SAVAGE MKII
AMMO: AGUILA G. EAGLE MATCH RIFLE
MATCH: 200YP-A21
SCORE: 278-3x

200YP-57gp

MATCH: 200YP-57gp
SCORE: 24 OF 30

October SH Scores;

100YB-35RDB

Name: Joe Martin
Class: Scope
Rifle: Savage MKII FVT
Ammo: Aguila Golden Eagle 'Target' 1100fps
Match: 100YB-35RDB
Score: 28 of 30

200YB-57GB

Name: Joe Martin
Rifle: Savage MKII FVT
Ammo: Aguila Golden Eagle 'Target' 1100fps
Match: 200YB-57GB
Score: 25 of 30

Here is a picture of my reworked target setup for shooting our SH monthly 200 yard 5x7 inch gong (left), and our 100 yard 3-1/2 inch Round gong (right). The 4x5 inch gong in the middle is used for spotting shots (at least it was today) before starting my record scoring string of shots from each distance.

I like this setup as it allows me to setup everything out at 200 yards first, then after I'm done with that shooting I just move it in to 100 yards.

The 100 yard 3-1/2" round target I reworked to make it a swinger hanging off 'all thread ready rod' behind the angle iron.

I prefer this setup over my little 3 disc setup that I just stick in the ground. I no longer have to walk down range and reset the little 3 disc swinger anymore from the hits that eventually push it backwards at an angle. I'm sure you guys and gals know what I mean. Also, if the range grass gets a bit deep - my targets are still above it.
smile.gif

100_0476.jpg

Hello Top Predator. Say, there's a little mix up on your 200 yard reporting of scores above. I high'lighted them with ***

Were they shot 'prone' or bench?

If you could edit them I'd appreciate it. Thanks! By the way, good shooting my friend!
smile.gif

***200YP A-21

***MATCH: 200YB-A21
SCORE: 278-3x

***200YP-57RDP

***MATCH: 200YB-57RDB
SCORE: 24 OF 30

Hi guys, I have a couple of questions. First off, can you edit your scores in your post during the month if you should shoot a better score? Also, I don't use a rear bag on any of my scored targets but I was wondering if a small ball held in my left hand would constitute a "rear bag" or is it OK? It does not come into contact with the rifle. Let me know what you think.
This monthly shoot is a lot of fun and really helps keep me focused during a shooting session, wish more guys would join in.

Steve

Hello Steve, glad to see you getting into this thing. As to the first question, there should be no editing of scores as per the following rule;

9. There are a total of 8 Matches. You may enter a score for any number of these matches each month that you wish to shoot in - <span style="text-decoration: underline"> </span> but you may only enter a score once for each match you choose to shoot in per month. <span style="text-decoration: underline"> </span>

Personally, I don't see where holding onto a small ball with your left hand would be a rules violation, so unless someone brings down the roof on our heads over this, I wouldn't worry about.
smile.gif

Thanks Joe for clearing things up for me. I've shot several matches and will hopefully shoot more before the end of the month. I will post scores later this month.

Steve

Personally, when I treat it like a match... in other words, I force myself to declare it a match prior to shooting. I figure that this is the best way to make this more like a true match. Weather conditions will vary from location to location, so it is less like a match that way. But if I decide that I am shooting for practice and shoot a great score I won't post it. Or if I declare a match and shoot a lousy score, I won't shoot again for an improvement. There is always next month.

I am not saying that everyone should hold themselves to this standard, but I think it makes it more challenging. And more challenging in the end is more rewarding. For instance, I didn't like the no rear bag rule at first, but now I really enjoy it for this very reason. That is also the fun of shooting 22LR long range. My local range only goes to 300 yards, so I get the challenge of shooting long range on a short range. To shoot longer, I have to drive to my ranch, which I can't really do during the week and can't do every week.

BTW... I shot some of the best scores ever off of a bench this month. I wanted to post pictures with b/c they are awesome.

And then I shot my worst prone at 100 so far. Just 1 target (I shoot 10 per target) screwed me.

maybe i should put this in the "lessons learned" thread, but ...i like to treat it as a match also, and dedicate the scores as such. it tends to put a little more pressure on you to perform whether the weather or yourself is not in the best shape on the day you decide to shoot...

watch out for carter, he's a ringer!

perhaps maybe we should claim a weekend date to shoot and everyone shoots and posts by that monday. if you get a crappy day of weather, you get dealt a bad hand, but it'll stop the gaming of waiting for just the right conditions. eventually i'd believe the weather factor would even itself out.

Like Carter and Top, I approach these matches the same way. I do allow a few rounds for sighting shots then it's into the competition of the matches a choose to shoot that particular month. I figure I'm either going to do good - fair - or poor, but it'll get reported no matter the outcome, (as you guys know from my previous scores).

It would be kind of nice to set up a few matches on a particular weekend using Saturday and Sunday (Matches start your local time at 8:00AM on a Saturday & Sunday morning) and all scores must be reported no later then midnight on Monday.

I say midnight on Monday because some may have to drive quite a'ways to shoot at their range. Maybe we could hammer out some details of a match and give it a try. Maybe even up the number of shots? Should we start a new thread to discuss this in?

Does the ball in the hand effect what we're doing here? If it does we will have to create/add a more clear rule or ruling on this. I can only really speak for myself on this so I would like some input from you guys, as my words certainly are not the final word by a long shot. We're doing this together.
smile.gif

Also, some pictures would be nice my friends. Kind to get to see where everyone is sending lead down range and the conditions.
smile.gif

OK guys here is what my range sessions consist of, feel free to critique. First off I bought this rifle to train and work on my marksmanship so that is my primary goal, but the matches make things much more interesting. I have made 4 or 5 trips to the range so far in Oct.
I first shoot 3 or 5 shot groups at a 50yd target consisting of 20 1" circles with a small center dot. I use a rear bag at this point. It is a warm up and gives me an idea of the wind. I then staple up the TQ4 at 100yd. I put away the rear bag and use a small rubber ball held in my left hand, I have been shooting exclusively off a bench. My shooting mat got delivered today and it is pretty sweet deal from Midway for $24.99 so I'll be shooting prone soon! I can't shoot steel targets at the range so my "gong" is a 3" ShootNC, I put 2 of them in the corners of the target. I shoot 15 sighters at one of the ShootNC targets to check out windage and elevation. I then shoot my "match" consisting of 30 rnds. at the TQ4 followed by 15 at the 2nd "gong"(30 rnds. at a 3" ShootNC makes a messy target), I only score the 2nd gong, not the best out of the two.
I then move to the 200yd lane and staple up the A-21 that has my 2 "gongs" that are 6" ShootNC circles in the lower left and right corners of the A-21. I again shoot 15 "sighters" at the 1st gong to check out windage and elevation. Then I shoot the 30 rnd match on the A-21 followed by 15 rnds. at the 2nd gong.Again, I only score the 2nd gong, not the best of the two.
Should I eliminate the sighter targets to be more of a purist? I've never been involved in competitive shooting although I would really like to participate in some kind of tactical/long range rimfire event if it was somewhat local(2-3hrs. drive). Do Long range shooters get any sort of sighter shots or is it a cold shot to start the match? Also ,if the litle ball I squeeze is an issue with anyone here shooting these matches I will stop using it, no big deal. I just think this is something I would carry into the field if I was going to be shooting from a prone position. Well that is my current routine, so feel free to critize or suggest other techniques to try.

Steve

i think we should keep the lessons learned in theLEARNINGS FROM RIMFIRE COMP THREAD
and the scores seperate. the learnings thread has some good tips in it, and if we keep them all together, we can all benefit.

the only .02 i have on the ball is that we all do it or not, to keep methods equal, and if we use a ball we might as well use a rear bag. (actually the idea of carrying a ball in my pocket in the field for use as rear support never crossed my mind and seems like a good idea / tip that i'll start trying rather than trying to get the backpack in the right spot.)

i'm thinking upping the number of shots would be counter productive, as what more can you do with 50 rounds as compared to 30? even 25 shots would be nice to keep the different styles of the comp to equal using all of the box of ammo and not have partially used boxes hanging around.

pictures of groups wouldn't be a bad thing, probably keep folks honest too. but that's up to you guys. i like the idea of a designated date to shoot, however we only have a handfull of guys doing this now, and perhaps too many restrictions may change others minds on participating.

i would support a fee for a target competition (much like smack the smiley) where someone collects an entrance fee, mails a target gets it back and scores it. the entrance fee would cover prizes and the cost of the targets. even a once a year one would be neat, and may attract more shooters to our thing. the prizes don't have to be big, a brick of ammo, a backpack, maybe lowlight would throw in a SH tee shirt, a gift card, etc.

biggest thing is to keep the fun in this though, and i have learned alot from comparing notes with the 4-5 shooters we have now. it's been a good way to improve my shooting and exploit the effectiveness / economy of the .22 as a trainer.

I like the idea of pics of the winning targets. Again, it is the honor system as to distance and following the rules (no rear bag, etc.). But pics from the winner is not such an onerous thing to ask. And the winner should post those voluntarily to keep the work at a minimum.

[Top Predator]i would support a fee for a target competition (much like smack the smiley) where someone collects an entrance fee, mails a target gets it back and scores it. the entrance fee would cover prizes and the cost of the targets.

[Joe Martin]
Not a bad idea, but I don't think there are to many folks willing to post their home address on the internet as they want to protect their privacy, which I whole heartedly agree with them.

A good case in point would be all the nick-names all of us go by here, and on other sites, rather then posting our real name. I just can't imagine anyone posting their personal address.

As Carter pointed out, these matches are on the honor system as to distance and following the rules. We really have no way of knowing for sure if the rules are being followed like we do at a 'hands on' match with others participants shooting right next to us.

I feel our honor system works well, and we've made it competitive through some challanging matches that allow all of us who take part to experience some new kind of shooting and to sharpen our marksmenship skills. Who knows, maybe someday the very matches we shoot here may be duplicated at some gun club's range for a weekend of shooting? You might say the matches we offer here with the rules and guidelines is our training ground for that day to come?

I would like to see more pictures from the participants. I think they'd be a welcome addition that all of us would enjoy.

p.m. the addresses to an administrator would keep it private, plus you'll know the adminstrator's address also.

no big deal though, i thought i'd throw that suggestion out to help pull in some more shooters.

i'll edit my posted scores with photos as soon as i get em scanned. i had to use a target that i use for practice as i ran out of the normal tq-4 and a-21. it's using the same dementions as the tq-4 and a-21 and has a simulated gong superimposed over it. it's kinda killing two birds with one stone.

Just a heads up guys. I doubt I'll be shooting in any more of these competitions until Spring of next year. I have modern and muzzleloading deer seasons coming up in November and December, as well as the varmint (Coyote) hunting to do through the colder months. Then there is the holidays as well, so I don't see myself having much spare time for our competition here until Spring of 2010.

Good luck to you all who continue on with the competiton through the Fall and Winter. I'll check in off and on when time allows. Who knows, maybe next year we'll gain a few more shooters?
smile.gif

Sorry guys for not shooting Sept match, I was at the range every weekend but did not get to shoot.
About the ideas, If the targets must be bought and returned for score, then the person doing that will have another responsibility on top of everything else they do.
Posting the pictures, well I don't want to learn how. Call me lazy, ignorant, or a caveman. I am not very nerdly and want to focus the few brain cells that are free on things that please me.

I started to take pictures of my targets, if someone could teach me how to post them I will. Also I ditched the little rubber ball so as to not create controversy.

Name: Stevemopa
Rifle: Savage Mark 2 BTV
Ammo: SK Standard Plus
Match: 100 YB-TQ4
Score: 298-12X

Match: 100YB- Gong(3" ShootNC)
Score: 15 of 15

first open a free account for online hosting of your photos on photobucket, imageshack, or any of the type. some already add this part, however if the one you pick does not, add
after. you can download it directly from your computer, however i doubt if you want any personal electronic signatures floating around.

you can also browse this post:
<a href="http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=39427&nt=14&page=1" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">putting images on posts
</a>

there is also a "how to" in the FAQ section, you can find it 2:00 at the top of the forum.

Thanks TP, I think I've figured it out. Pic of 10/10/09 TQ4 target with 3" ShootNC as gong. I warmed up on the lower left target, shot the 30 rnd TQ4 then shot 15 into the gong in lower right corner.
Matchscores10OctTQ4001.jpg

Steve

Some more October scores

Name: Steve
Rifle: Savage Mark 2 BTV
Ammo: SK Standard plus
Match: 200YB-A21
Score: 284-8X

Name: Steve
Rifle Savage BTV
Ammo: SK Standard plus
Match 200YB- Gong(6"ShootNC)
Score: 12 out of 15

Matchscores27OctA21027.jpg

October Multiple Match Scores

I will get photos up later. My worst showing yet for both 100 yard and 200 yards. My 100 yards was close to perfect... it really could go either way, but I will give myself 299 and say better luck next time. You can see from the targets, it is really the first target I biffed. I bought a half case of this awesome ammo and after the weather changed, it is not so great any more.

100YP-TQ4

Name: Carter Mayfield
Rifle: Remington 40X Custom
Ammo: Eley Match
Match: 100YP-TQ4
Score: 299-15X

200YP-A21

Name: Carter Mayfield
Rifle: Remington 40X Custom
Ammo: Eley Match
Match: 200YP-A21
Score: 286-6X

Also, I have some targets from 100 yard bench that I will post, but I won't enter them because they were shot indoors! It would be against the spirit of the match to post them, but I got a 300-25X! It is also a true 100 yards whereas my outdoor scores are shot at 110 yards. I will try to figure out how to post pics later.

OCTOBER results by scores reported:

100 YP TQ4 (100 yard prone, tq4 target)

CARTER MAYFIELD - 299 - 15X
TOP PREDATOR - 292 - 9X
CLOD HOPPER - 284 - 4X

100 YB TQ4 (100 yard bench, tq4 target)

STEVE MOPA - 298 - 12X

200 YP A21 (200 yard prone a21 target)

CARTER MAYFIELD - 286 - 6X
TOP PREDATOR - 278 - 3X

100 YP 35 RDP (100 yard prone, 3.5" rnd disc prone)

TOP PREDATOR - 30 OF 30

200 YP 57 GP (200 yard prone, 5"x7" gong prone)

TOP PREDATOR - 24 OF 30

100 YB 35RDB (100 yard bench, 3.5" rnd disc bench)

JOE MARTIN - 28 OF 30
STEVE MOPA ? ***

200 YB 57GB (200 yard bench, 5"x7" gong bench)

JOE MARTIN - 25 OF 30
STEVE MOPA ? ***

***STEVE, i don't know where to put you on the gong bench matches as you are shooting 3" "gong" at 100 with 15 rounds, and a 6" "gong" at 200 with 15 rounds.

the rest are shooting 3.5" at 100, 5"X7" at 200, both with 30 rounds.....great shooting on what you shot at, but you may be short changing yourself (for instace that one miss you have in the picture of the 200 yard looks like it would be a hit at 7", while the hole at 2:00 may be a miss at 5").

i can't come up with a fair ranking on your gong scores compared to joe on the bench matches. you guys can fight it out or come to a reasonable conclusion, if you want.

you still shot great, the important part is to learn, share, and have fun.

i know joe said he may be bowing out due to hunting season and such, but do you guys want to keep it going over the winter months?

Excellent report TP!
smile.gif

Say, I'll try to shoot over the winter months when I can as I decided this afternoon to try and attend an Apple Seed Project event up around Cuter, SD in April of 2010,,, so's this old boy is going to have to do some practicing with the Aperture Sights on the 10/22. With that said, I may just as well take along the scoped Savage MK II-FVT when I can make it to the Range.

It would be a great relief if you could guide us through these winter months my friend.

Yeah, I have to make up some paper gongs in the right dimensions and shoot 30rnds at them. I tried to make a 3.5" circle in Excel and couldn't figure it out,I'm an idiot sometimes. I was able to make a 5-7" rectangle though. It's really not a big deal to me but I like the ShootNC targets at 200 since I can see the hits on them. Which way do you guys like to orient the 5x7 rectangle?
I plan to shoot as much as the weather/time allows this winter. I was out this afternoon and had very little wind but I could barely make out the targets due to a nasty glare from the sun.I had to dial the mag way back and it was still an issue. It's always something.
crazy.gif

Steve

you probably have microsoft publisher, click to start a blank project, click on insert on the top ribbon, find object or shape, pick a circle. then on the ruler, stretch out the circle until you hit 3.5" by 3.5".

i'd think if you have vertical tracking going on (up and down groups)as your picture of the a21 shows, you would want to go 5" across and 7" up and down.

by the looks of your picture, looks like your score would be around 26 to 28 out of 30 realm! good job.

IF THERE'S NO OBJECTION FROM ANYONE ELSE, ans since we are only shooting for fun, bragging rights, and knowledge, i would be ok with it if you cut out a 5"x7" rectangle and put the very center of it (fold equally vertically and horizontally) in the center of the A21, superimposing it on the A21, and posting a score based on the A21 group that's inside the 5"x7" area.

Steve, thanks for posting those targets. I might suggest that you shoot 3 targets, ten shots apiece. I tried doing 2 X 15 and a few of the one-holers made it really hard to score. The real problem area is a cloverleaf on the X-ring, which I get all the time. And I can get a cloverleaf on the 9-10 ring on the 200 as well, though the shots are considerably more spread out, so it is not as big of a concern.

At any rate, nice shooting! I seem to be regressing every month. This month will be bad as I am going back down to 50 yards to do the Smack-The-Smiley competition. I admit that I like long-range a little bit more. There is more of a random element to it, though the smiley face strategy part of STS makes it a lot of fun as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a few of the one-holers made it really hard to score. The real problem area is a cloverleaf on the X-ring, which I get all the time.</div></div>

boo hoo i wish i had THOSE kind of problems
wink.gif

As promised, pics of the targets:

100 Yard Prone:
DSC00570.jpg
DSC00571.jpg

DSC00572.jpg

200 Yard Prone
DSC00574.jpg
DSC00575.jpg

DSC00576.jpg

100 Yard Bench (not counted)
DSC00577.jpg
DSC00580.jpg

DSC00581.jpg

I noticed after taking the pics that one of my 200 yard targets has 11 bullet holes. The way that I score is that I just subtract the number that falls out of the 10 ring. If it is an 8-pointer, I subtract 2 points, so the score I gave is a worst case. Still, if it is a DQ, I understand. This is weird as when I shoot, I lay out 10 cartridges for each target... it is awfully hard to shoot 11 holes with 10 bullets. I have no idea what happened there.

I didn't enter the 100 yard bench as it was shot indoors, but whoa! Those are some nice targets. One of the targets would have been perfect had it not been for one flyer that was way off!

Anyway... uploading pics is kind of a PITA, but it keeps me honest!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a few of the one-holers made it really hard to score. The real problem area is a cloverleaf on the X-ring, which I get all the time.</div></div>

boo hoo i wish i had THOSE kind of problems
wink.gif
</div></div>

Trust me, in 30 shots, you will have clover leafs on the X-ring. That is why it was originally suggested to shoot 10 shots per target. I even tried 15 shots per target and it was a little rough.