• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hunting & Fishing Shenandoah deer hunting

ZLBubba

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
I missed another birthday with my family this summer while I was deployed in Afghanistan. My wife, unbeknownst to me, decided to book a deer hunting trip to Luray, Virginia in the Shenandoah Mountains. It's beautiful country out there. We got a cabin overlooking the Shenandoah River out onto the park. Here's a pic from the cabin porch (and yes, every hunting cabin should have a hot tub!):

jgia7p.jpg

I hunted five days in all. The first two days I didn't see much, just a few does moving through the brush in the distance. Right before lunch on the third day, this old boy came walking up. I drove a 180 Hunting VLD out of my 7 WSM through his lower neck and he didn't move an inch.

5b3677.jpg

He was an old buck, his rack was all jacked up and he had worn down his upper teeth. Still, he lived a good long life and provided a good amount of meat for the freezer.

If you're wondering how the 180gr Hunting VLDs work, here's your answer:

w1wlxe.jpg

The bullet went in midway on the other side of the neck, and tore the shit out of everything in its path. I'm hugely impressed with these bullets and will continue to use them.

I hung out with my wife for Thanksgiving but got back in the stand for Friday. Around 10:30am, five does came down the mountain into the hollow I was hunting. I shot this little beauty through the high neck and she just rolled a few feet in the hollow and expired.

6ymgdy.jpg

I didn't compensate properly for the angle so the shot was a bit lower than I wanted, but the bullet still broke her neck and severed the arteries. I gutted her right there and dragged her out. She was a huge doe, lots of meat and fat for the coming winter.

My last day I didn't have any luck but I did get to look out on this meadow all day.

2150y9l.jpg

In the end, that's what hunting is about for me: leaving all the work bullshit behind and enjoying the outdoors. I did see a black bear toward the end of the day. If you squint really hard you can see a black dot at the base of a large tree in the center of the picture. That's the bear.

Overall, it was a great trip. I'm stoked to have gotten two deer this year, both with clean one-shot kills. Do I wish I'd gotten that trophy buck? Sure, but I wish that after every deer season. In the end, I'm wanting to fill my freezer before putting anything up on the wall. Plus, that elusive big buck is always going to be out there waiting for me next year.

Re: Shenandoah deer hunting

I was hunting just south and a little east of town. I don't know the area very well, but the mountain we were hunting on just had a cell tower put in on the top. You've got some good looking deer down there. I'm jealous you live in such pretty country.

I kid you not, I looked at my wife as we were driving off the mountain today and told her if we win the lottery, I'm buying land out by you guys. Big deer and black bear to hunt, mountains to hike, rivers to fish... it's a hell of a place compared to suburban DC.

My deer were both at 50-75 yards. The woods were pretty dense so I had to wait for the deer to come into what few clear shooting lanes I had. The doe was taken at a fairly steep angle: I was up about 20ft in a tree stand and she was on the other side of the hollow. I'd say close to a 45* angle.

I'm getting pretty solid velocity from my load workups, though I haven't put it through a chrono yet. I'm around 2900 fps in my hunting load, and that's good enough for me.

Bubba, I am glad you enjoyed the time out in shenandoah. I am from a small town about 15 min. from there and am currently enjoying my hunting season in iraq.
Btw, you were joking about that little guys age right? lol

I'm not a good judge of a deer's age, buck his horns were all worn down and broken off, and he didn't have hardly any teeth left. I always heard that the shorter the distance between the end of the snout and the eye, the older the deer. I'm no wildlife biologist though so I won't say this is anything more than a wild ass guess. All I know is how to shoot, and how good his backstraps tasted.