Shooters, ranges, locations in Los Angeles.

J.Kubiak

T.G.O.S.
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2020
Los Angeles CA
Hey all! New on here so forgive any mistakes in posting. I’m new to the precision shooting world but learning fast and I’ve outgrown my range (Angeles shooting). I’ve set up targets at 100-200-300 yards which is as far as I can walk them out. I’ve been able to stay MOA even sub MOS and I have no problems hitting all the tiny steel tree targets at 600 yards. What I’m interested in is some place I can set up a target at 400-1000+ yards and preferably some place I can drive the target out and verify progress. let me know if any of you are from the LA area and know of places where this is possible. I’ve reached out to “Desert marksman” however they have a $100 entry fee before you can see the range or know what the procedure is there.

California Tactical Academy has a 1000 yard range (idk what the hours/rules are during COVID). They also run PRS matches that go out to 1000 yards, next one on the 11th.

Pala Range is south of you with steel out to 900 yards.

Reactions: gnochi
California Tactical Academy has a 1000 yard range (idk what the hours/rules are during COVID). They also run PRS matches that go out to 1000 yards, next one on the 11th.

CTA is my preferred range in SoCal. It’s annoying when the cows are at 1000yd but they usually don’t stay too long.

COVID hours are 8am-3pm W-Su; they’re only putting people at half the benches and stuff for social distancing reasons.

Reactions: Mk32784

Yea been to CTA, the 1000 yard range is a 3’ plate 200’ up in the hills. Without a high power telescope and the ability to climb up there I’m really not able to measure or identify groups accurately, that range is no where near the caliber of Angeles. Bathrooms are portable, targets and steel are destroyed, it is barely kept up and they’re charging $40 fee per day compared to the $16 fee at Angeles. Thanks for the info though!

Also @J.Kubiak you most have not looked very hard.... all of the rules of Desert Marksmen are on there website...

As well as full page of photos https://www.desertmarksmen.org/the-ranges I hear it's a nice range, I would consider joining as $100 a year is a cheap but I am not close enough to justify it.

yes I’ve been to the website and have gone through their rules and the photos. I’ve also spoken with the person that heads up their membership however the information from their email comes in all spotty and not really explanatory. I’ve asked about setting up a target at 1000 yards and they respond “we have 1000 yard matches every month”. I ask when I can shoot at the range after my payment is made,They say “you can go see the range anytime if there is someone there but can’t shoot until you are a member”. This type of call and response goes on and on and there is no information pertaining to specifics on their site to answer the following questions:
1.) can I set up a target at 500-1000 yards.
2.) how often can I set up a target at these distances during the week/weekend.
3.) can we drive the targets out or is it walking only
Etc. you can see what I mean. Thanks for replying.

Okay, all of these ranges have steel setup for you. None of them will let you go setup your own target, and wait for you to go down range and measure groups at that distance.
I think pala is limited to 600 yards if you wanna go down range to.

CTA has some small 12-8 inch disks at 1000 yards now. And so does pala. I also disagree about Angles, Ithink Angeles is a crap hole of a range, full of fudds that scare me everytime I have been....

If you want a spot to setup your 1000 yard targets your only bet will be to find some BLM.

To add the DM 1000 yard matches might be using a shotmarker or something so if you shoot the match you will get a group size (which is how a lot of them are scored). If you wanna measure a group at 1000 yards that may be the easiest thing to do.

Reactions: gnochi
Okay, all of these ranges have steel setup for you. None of them will let you go setup your own target, and wait for you to go down range and measure groups at that distance.
I think pala is limited to 600 yards if you wanna go down range to.

CTA has some small 12-8 inch disks at 1000 yards now. And so does pala. I also disagree about Angles, Ithink Angeles is a crap hole of a range, full of fudds that scare me everytime I have been....

If you want a spot to setup your 1000 yard targets your only bet will be to find some BLM.

To add the DM 1000 yard matches might be using a shotmarker or something so if you shoot the match you will get a group size (which is how a lot of them are scored). If you wanna measure a group at 1000 yards that may be the easiest thing to do.
Oh man I’d be terrified to shoot in a competition without any practice at that distance. I can hit any steel at any range no matter how small with my creedmoor so that’s why I’m trying to get practice on an actual paintable or measurable target surface. I think you may be right though without finding BLM I’m just going to have to wing it and enter a comp.