Shooting over 2K

VaRandy

Sergeant
Minuteman
I have no idea how many people are capable of shooting at this level but I am looking to speak directly with those doing it. I have specific questions and realize we must be talking about a handful of people. This would be by phone if at all possible to avoid the naysayers that get in the way of good dialogue.

If there are organizations ACTUALLY working on this, I welcome input from them.

Best possible ballistics tables at extreme ranges is my biggest single problem.

PM me please if you can help.

thanks for the quick reply. Does that software allow clicks that might be .243 per click? Does it allow C1 and C7 bc's? Can you fill in your own BC of any value? Does it allow for earth rotation taking into account direction and position from the axis? Should you need to take the aggregate of two ballistic charts, one supersonic and the other subsonic?

I was hoping not to have to buy a specific pda but to use a laptop.Even there I need to buy another one because no software worth a damn runs on my Apple.

I am lucky to live in NW AZ so I am able to shoot see well beyond 2500 yards. The longest shoot I have made to date is 1 hit out of the 3 shots at 2127 yards. I use the Field Firing Solutions software on a Trimble PDA. I spent the money and have a Vectronix PLRF 25c so I know what the range is. I am shooting an AI-PSR using Berger 300 grain OTM pushing 2797 FPS. I shoot with a friend shooting a 300 Norm Mag using 240 GRAIN SKM'S and he is right there to.

You should watch the youtube series by tiborasaurousRex called Sniper 101 which is an extremely in depth discussion about hitting small targets at extreme long ranges on the first shot. It is priceless. Also, another youtube shooter called mecastreisand created a sophisticated excel spreadsheet called Ballistic_XLR which incorporates all of Rex's ballistic table methodology and a ballistic calculator into a simple to use spreadsheet. But before trying to use the spreadsheet you should watch all or most of the 88 videos first. Yes its 88 videos and he's not even done with the series...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rex's youtube videos are fantastic.

I was told that almost all of the keyboard commandos shoot better than 1/4 moa at 2k and beyond, all day, everyday, whenever, and wherever they want. :)

Rex's youtube videos are fantastic.

I was told that almost all of the keyboard commandos shoot better than 1/4 moa at 2k and beyond, all day, everyday, whenever, and wherever they want. :)

Haha Yep! Another thing i forgot to mention is your cartridge choices become quite limited if you want your projectile to be above the speed of sound at 2000 and beyond...

I teach the ELR program here at Gunsite. FFS and Coldbore both provide excellent solutions for extreme range shooting. This last class had all three shooters getting on the 2000m plate with good elevations just chasing the wind call. The 1600m plate was hit with the first CCB shot, the 2K plate needed 3 or 4 shots with 338LM's.

FFS uses G1 BC's, correcting the drag profile with the Pejsa method of a deceleration constant if required. Coldbore will use G1 or G7.

Feel free to PM me for any specific questions. I should be in the main office tomorrow, so you can call me there as well, 928 636 4565

I teach the ELR program here at Gunsite. FFS and Coldbore both provide excellent solutions for extreme range shooting. This last class had all three shooters getting on the 2000m plate with good elevations just chasing the wind call. The 1600m plate was hit with the first CCB shot, the 2K plate needed 3 or 4 shots with 338LM's.

FFS uses G1 BC's, correcting the drag profile with the Pejsa method of a deceleration constant if required. Coldbore will use G1 or G7.

Feel free to PM me for any specific questions. I should be in the main office tomorrow, so you can call me there as well, 928 636 4565

After having taken XLR twice, I can say there are far more shooters that can shot at that distance today than 5 years ago. Much less >10 yrs. Modern software, lasers, weather stations, higher BC bullets and optics have lowered the bar to shoot and hit.

I can't take my gun to that distance because of barrel length. But if my novice ass can get to 1800m with 20" barrel. 2K with a better setup is easily in reach of anyone who is willing to put in some time on good training.

Maybe easily within reach is a bit of a stretch, and defiantly target size dependent. As I mentioned earlier a 5fps ES not SD can move you OFF a 1 MOA target at 2200meters, 2,400 yards. So it starts becoming a percentage game. BTW I do not know anyone who can load ammo consistently with a 5fps ES. Saturday I did ok with the first shot just under the plate, a click adjustment and I missed left, then two hits.. But that's a lot of luck.

Here is a sample of the predictive model, I ran using the same variables from my log book as experienced Saturday.

Diver, what caliber and rifle setup are you using for the 2.2k shots?

What about the 215 bergers? And what about a 300 norma magnum as opposed to a 308/338LM? Im asking because i want a rifle that can teach out further supersonic than my 6.5CM and im torn between a 308 caliber cartridge and a 338 caliber cartridge. Not trying to get off topic but its sort of relevant because im interested in whacking steel between 1,300-2,000 yards (or further once transonic) but want to avoid .375 and up calibers.