Shooting, Tactics, or Fieldcraft.

Depends on the task/job.

For a military sniper: Fieldcraft, then Tactics, and with Shooting a distant 3rd.
For a police sniper: Shooting, then Fieldcraft, with "Tactics" a distant 3rd.
For a military DM: Tactics, then Fieldcraft, and Shooting a distant 3rd.
For an individual dealing with an unknown/hostile environment: Fieldcraft, then Shooting, then Tactics.
For a match: Shooting, with Fieldcraft and Tactics not even on the radar.

Trying to keep your ass alive when what is going to go down in this country finally happens, I'd go Fieldcraft, Tactics and Shooting if you must.
Yep, shooting gets all the glory until it becomes a two way.
A subsection of field craft is target detection. When we were doing sub matches long back that lacking skill set, stopped many sub shooters, in their tracks. Guess they thought the targets would be waving a flag or something? Most were so poor at it, we had to start giving a azimuth from the FP. Later as it became more realistic (more target camouflage) we had to give azimuth & distance with in +/- 25 yds.

If you can't find the target, yet the target can find you, trading up is free.

Trying to keep your ass alive when what is going to go down in this country finally happens, I'd go Fieldcraft, Tactics and Shooting if you must.
I’d say tactics first, have to be tactically sound enough to find a position where you can employ fieldcraft to keep that position hidden.

At either rate, shooting is a last ditch effort. Most folks won’t think that, which is why I am still firmly set at being a scavenger when Cypress Hill starts playing.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
A subsection of field craft is target detection. When we were doing sub matches long back that lacking skill set, stopped many sub shooters, in their tracks. Guess they thought the targets would be waving a flag or something? Most were so poor at it, we had to start giving a azimuth from the FP. Later as it became more realistic (more target camouflage) we had to give azimuth & distance with in +/- 25 yds.

The shooting element also requires logistical support the other two don't need.

-LD

The shooting element also requires logistical support the other two don't need.

-LD
Not really,
The age old concept of trading up will never die, but only if you know the hows & whys. This is one reason you need to know how to operate/employ any & everything you might pick up.
The why & history of the liberator pistol is easily searchable, but that concept is much, much older.
For what is coming, street resupply will be plenty. Knowing where/how items are stocked within and outside of your A/O is a plus as well.

Some of us are too old to be running around in the woods. My fieldcraft is going to be masking up and dressing up in black with a big, red hammer and sickle on my back. When it's time to charge the patriots I'll be the guy in the rear mowing my "comrades" down and shooting them in their backs.

Some of us are too old to be running around in the woods.
That is me as well, however with the proper bait and tactics anything is possible. Direct engagement is not the best way to win any fight, make it as unfair and one sided as you can going in.

That old saying "If its a fair fight your tactics suck" is so true.

1. Fieldcraft

That is the ultimate survival system for the long run. Can you live off the land? Jury rig lifesaving devices like radios, water filtration, traps/intrusion detectors, etc...

2. Tactics

That is how you perform when a task needs to be done. And that can range from having to find the shortest route to the nearest base camp with a blizzard on the way. Or making the silent approach to within effective range of a bunch of cartel hitmen who had just murdered a rancher and are rummaging through his truck.

3. Shooting

That is merely one of the skills among the skillset which you have to be proficient at.

Reactions: Balor
2. Tactics

That is how you perform when a task needs to be done.
Or how you present bait, allowing them to be their own worst enemy. Long ago (circa late 70's early 80's)when the Manatee Co Fla run & guns were going on (w/ Mc Donalds associates) it was interesting (& funny at times) to watch how people would engage a stage tactically based upon strep & op order. We ran some of the same when doing sub matches, years back here. You could almost tell who was going to get a m/c stamp by the way they approached & kicked off the stage.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
Pretty suggestive question there. My response will be from a military/combat standpoint.

1. Shooting
2. Tactics
3. Fieldcraft

I will now explain in reverse order.

Fieldcraft will only keep you alive against an opponent who has equal or less knowledge than you, it may allow you to defeat the elements and gain time to formulate plans and strategy.

Tactics can keep you alive to an extent depending on the situation and your tactics vs your opponent tactics. This is a broad subject that really has too many scenarios to even imagine, but tactics will only get you so far. Every trained person has them and studies them, some are better than others, its a calculation made to enhance chances of survival in a given scenario.

Shooting will decide whether anything else matters. If you cannot neutralize your target faster than he can neutralize you, you lose. The greatest tactics and fieldcraft usage ever conceived can be negated in a split second because your opponent can shoot better than you.

I guess it could depend if you are planning on a long engagement or you just want to make a point on your way out, perhaps even the sides for eventually victory for those inspired and coming to your side.

If you have hope perhaps you care about the future.

If you just wanted to be left alone and are living for the moment maybe field craft and tactics don’t matter.

This is the man Solzhenitsyn speaks of needing when the political enemies were rounded up for the gulags..

Reactions: canman and BLEE
The best shooter at Camp Perry is useless on the battlefield if he can’t get into position.

Look at the “retrograde evolution” of the sighs from the 1903 Springfield to the 1917 Enfield.

The best shooter at Camp Perry is useless on the battlefield if he can’t get into position.

Look at the “retrograde evolution” of the sighs from the 1903 Springfield to the 1917 Enfield.
You want to talk sights and 03?

The USMC had a great idea with their Number 10 sight set…..wide back cut front sight for better sight picture and reduce BZO from 550 yards to a realistic 200 yards. For better sighting using the raised ladder they increased the size of the aperture to .10 that and the big front blade were quicker to pick up visually.

But……

It kind of took some accuracy out of the gun on the competition range bigger sights were not as accurate as the fine sight. Better combat sights for plus MOA targets but not as precise on paper.

So the Marine Corps tossed the number 10 sights and went back to small(er) aperture and thin(ner) front sight.

Reactions: canman
Yes....

iu

• Haha
Reactions: DougGlatt
Shooting will decide whether anything else matters. If you cannot neutralize your target faster than he can neutralize you, you lose. The greatest tactics and fieldcraft usage ever conceived can be negated in a split second because your opponent can shoot better than you.
Disagree,
If your field-craft is par you will find/see your enemy long before he finds/sees you. Then your tactics if solid will allow,... you,... first shot.

The older I get, and more I realize that it'll be a team of 10+ that comes and gets me...

1. Shooting
2. Tactics
3. Fieldcraft

You ain't getting out alive either way, might as well take a few with you.

It used to be the other way around. Then I learned how to hunt the lazy man's way. Then we actually had a fugitive search out here a few years ago involving a guy half my age and arguably in much better physical condition...and they ran his ass down in less than 18 hours in the woods and across creeks etc... Dude had made it probably 20 miles already by that point.

Tactics are a great idea, but when you start trying to do one-man room clearing with SESAMS (paint rounds), you quickly, painfully learn that it isn't all that it is cracked up to be on YouTube. This is an area where you need a team, and a lot of training to be effective.

Disagree,
If your field-craft is par you will find/see your enemy long before he finds/sees you. Then your tactics if solid will allow,... you,... first shot.

Technology has come a long way in combating actual fieldcraft skill. It is cool to think we are all John Rambo hiding in a wall of mud, but the reality is that any "modern" adversary is probably employing thermal, night vision, and drone equipment. The chances of "them" detecting us before us them, is significantly in the advantage of the modern army.

Now, in a one-on-one against a fellow redneck over who has rights to the 30-acre lease... your position is much more defendable.

I stopped worrying about the lone home intruder or vagrant years ago. My concerns are much more federalized.

So you think only the po-lice & military has that?

Absolutely not as I enjoy a decent amount of success killing shit in the dark.

Do I think that running around in the woods, learning some basic "don't wipe with poison ivy" knowledge is important? Yes.

Do I think that diverging training time and resources from firearms skills and self-defense tactics in order to practice some sort of self-evaluated, zero experience SERE tactics in the woods in order to "find/see your enemy long before he finds/sees you" - is not a great use of time? Yes to that as well.

I'm not stating that the judicious use of learning how to track, identify choke points, general hunting and fire-starting skills etc... etc... etc... is worthless. What I am saying is that statistically, Americans use firearms defensively 500,000 to 3 million times (depending on data source) per year, and that about a quarter of those (125,000 to 750,000) require defensively shooting. I was unable in a quick search to find the number of times a citizen had to apply fieldcraft in order to "find/see your enemy long before he finds/sees you". My guess is that it is significantly less... like damn near zero. Since time is precious, and nobody on this site is burdened by having to do any of this shit for a living - anymore or otherwise - my position is based upon addressing the most likely course of action one will encounter.

And while I know that we civilians have access to fantastic surveillance equipment, I have yet to see anyone other than a LEO entity thermally track and hunt down another human being with drones. Maybe it is a fantastic trend that you can share with us?

Do I think that running around in the woods, learning some basic "don't wipe with poison ivy" knowledge is important? Yes.

Do I think that diverging training time and resources from firearms skills and self-defense tactics in order to practice some sort of self-evaluated, zero experience SERE tactics in the woods in order to "find/see your enemy long before he finds/sees you" - is not a great use of time? Yes to that as well.

I'm not stating that the judicious use of learning how to track, identify choke points, general hunting and fire-starting skills etc... etc... etc... is worthless. What I am saying is that statistically, Americans use firearms defensively 500,000 to 3 million times (depending on data source) per year, and that about a quarter of those (125,000 to 750,000) require defensively shooting. I was unable in a quick search to find the number of times a citizen had to apply fieldcraft in order to "find/see your enemy long before he finds/sees you". My guess is that it is significantly less... like damn near zero. Since time is precious, and nobody on this site is burdened by having to do any of this shit for a living - anymore or otherwise - my position is based upon addressing the most likely course of action one will encounter.

And while I know that we civilians have access to fantastic surveillance equipment, I have yet to see anyone other than a LEO entity thermally track and hunt down another human being with drones. Maybe it is a fantastic trend that you can share with us?
"Lady and gentlemen, welcome to SERE!" - Instructor Pyro in "GI Jane"

You mean you don't have a drone with a thermal camera on it already?
Folks have those all over the place and the more enterprising folks have their drones already modded for "payload" or "launcher"...

Folks have those all over the place and the more enterprising folks have their drones already modded for "payload" or "launcher"...
Are you telling him to go be poor somewhere else?

JK, having a laugh and simply could not resist. And thereby prove how I earned my certificate of upgrade to complete asshole.

Reactions: diggler1833
Are you telling him to go be poor somewhere else?

JK, having a laugh and simply could not resist. And thereby prove how I earned my certificate of upgrade to complete asshole.

It's my own damn fault. I fed the troll, and then attempted to stoop to his intellectual level but was overpowered by a lifetime of experience. Lesson learned.

Reactions: camotoe and Ronws

The paradigm shifted greatly in Ukraine. I'd say to the point where traditional warfare has been significantly impacted. That example is along my point of technology outpacing fieldcraft...but I eluded to it only being used here by LEO entities (so far).

Reactions: BoltBandit

There is a bit of a flaw and circular logic in your argument.

If you are going up against the full power of the government and military and all those "high tech stuff" your shooting skills are probably going to be way less important.

Take a look at the war in the Ukraine, "shooting skills" are not nearly as important to staying alive in a war dominated by drones, robots, satellite imagery, missiles, etc.

If a group is hunting you down with thermal imaging drones, as you are worrying, then if their drone can find you, your shooting skills will matter not nearly as much as your fieldcraft as they will have plenty of time to figure out the best way to get a shot on you before you know where they are coming from.

I'm not saying it isn't good to have "mad chooting skilz" but if you are in a gunfight you are already in the bad stuff.

In an urban environment, "fieldcraft" that could save your life, might be things as simple as knowing what areas to avoid, knowing when folks look suspicious and when you need to get off the X, knowing when it looks like bad stuff is about to happen and getting away from it. Knowing when folks look like they are up to trouble or where trouble might come from and seeing it. Knowing what to watch out for to avoid an accident or blockade. Knowing how to carry yourself to avoid looking like prey and also avoid looking like you are spoiling for a fight.

Fieldcraft could be things like knowing how to not draw attention to yourself in a city even when folks are looking for you, how to blend into the background and move about invisible to most. Fieldcraft could be as simple as knowing how to keep your face down as you traverse an urban area, how to get lost in a crowd, how to beat AI image pattern matching etc.

The paradigm shifted greatly in Ukraine. I'd say to the point where traditional warfare has been significantly impacted. That example is along my point of technology outpacing fieldcraft...but I eluded to it only being used here by LEO entities (so far).

What you have to remember is who makes and comes up with many of the concepts and initial designs of the stuff that eventually the glorious heroes of the Uniform Hanger brigade use?

Lots of very clever folks coming up with cool and innovative things.

You'd probably be surprised how many tech savvy people that have electronics and programming skills already have their own home brew versions of all that stuff the local uniform hangers are so proud of. AI driven killbot turrent? Couple thousand dollars of computer parts and some knowhow in programming and mechanics.

Your local thug on the street and career criminal? Probably not.
BUT have you seen the stuff the organized gangs from South America are starting to use here? Wifi camera jamming, remote surveillance, drones, high level computer access toolkits for vehicles and buildings, rudimentary RF disrupters and such.

Wait till things officially kick off and everybody starts playing with the good stuff.

The folks thinking their gun and shooting skills are the be all end all will be the ones in the first wave of dying.

What you have to remember is who makes and comes up with many of the concepts and initial designs of the stuff that eventually the glorious heroes of the Uniform Hanger brigade use?

Lots of very clever folks coming up with cool and innovative things.

You'd probably be surprised how many tech savvy people that have electronics and programming skills already have their own home brew versions of all that stuff the local uniform hangers are so proud of. AI driven killbot turrent? Couple thousand dollars of computer parts and some knowhow in programming and mechanics.

Your local thug on the street and career criminal? Probably not.
BUT have you seen the stuff the organized gangs from South America are starting to use here? Wifi camera jamming, remote surveillance, drones, high level computer access toolkits for vehicles and buildings, rudimentary RF disrupters and such.

Wait till things officially kick off and everybody starts playing with the good stuff.

The folks thinking their gun and shooting skills are the be all end all will be the ones in the first wave of dying.

I don't doubt it. When I worked in the basement of the Pentagon even 12 years ago, there was a very real possibility that your smart-anything could be hacked and record you without you knowing it. We had to leave electronic everything in front of armed police before entering our work areas. I also had a few friends in the "intel" side of the house then. Their words: "You'd be amazed what we can get into, nothing you have is safe." It was about that time that old Edward Snowden brought quite a bit of it to light. In a way, I only know jack and shit about it because so much of it was already compartmentalized. However, I know enough to have an idea of the capability. It is yet another reason why I decided against a suit and tie job in the beltway after I retired. and chose to yell at cows on a ranch in the middle of nowhere instead.

I have zero doubt that after so many years that the ability to be as electronically destructive as a government has filtered down to the point where there are hundreds of high school aged kids who possess the same capabilities now.

Your last sentence - I don't think that anybody who has not joined a community effort is going to make it more than a few days. I believe it to be a fallacy to train for going out and making it or anything on your own.

The whole point of this thread, right there. Then you have others who,... Don't,... want people to think for their selves, and you see it all over the hide these days. You have to have X to accomplish Y task, yet we have won what past 8/8/45 with all the so called un-defeatable high tech? High tech has never won us a war, battles yes but not the war. Its always came down to who has the strongest will power, best tactics & are up for the long knife fight.

In the none shooting war we are in for now, (country control) there is only one group that is dedicated to than end, and you can see it in their posts if you know what to look for. Their mission is to keep people from thinking on their own and maybe realizing, all the propaganda they were fed in the last 20+ years is all lies & bullshit,...

Field craft & tactics is an area they don't what discussion or expansion of at all, because the combinations-permutations into other venues are endless once you start delving into it. Course if you can nudge people into just being one trick pony's across the board, it makes whats coming so much easier for the oppressor/s. Then you have the whole "We have X and you don't" so you'll never win, mind set,...laughing.

===========================================================================================

Side question,
You & the Nailer ever get any HF arrays hung in the sky yet?
Had to trim some 4-8" limbs that were starting to hose up some Tx/Rx emissions here a month or so back. Have all the material now and am going to lay a 1K' Rx only antenna, as soon as the grandson returns in Nov. The Loop Rx's great, but a dedicated Rx will be much better at sucking out what is in the weeds now. Plus on the digital & SSTV side it will be many times better across the board, even if some notching is required. Thought about a 4 square but for what I want it to do the issue is the space the 4 would take for 160. Came up with a new portable vertical for the buggy, that is working perfect so far on 20 down to 2. Easy to tune 1-1 using a cheat sheet I made, I'll have to get photos and send to you. Fast up & down, perfect for shoot & scoot. Wish I could get the ground plane on the buggy better, moding or having to carry & install more conductive is not the road I want to take.

I'm not sure about Sean, I think he might have put that project a few years onto the back burner.
On my end, I'm going to try for this winter to get my setup redone.
Throw ups are quick & easy. Those I have built will do DX up higher but I was thinking & wanting more NVIS when I built them. With them getting local help (<100 mile Radius ) is assured, but you can still Rx long very well, also. The 80 meter does well across the board (80/60/40) and w/the travel tuner, makes for a nice compact set up when on 60. Did many MARS stations this last C/Band test, using just the buggy set up. I wanted to proof it and that test is a good way to see how it would operate all across the country if need be.

So, if the thermal imaging drones fly, cover myself in mud like Arnold in "Predator."

Got it.

Or can we still consider RPGs?

Literally. I've used my Matrice 210 with Zenmuse XT2 to catch a fella who had warrants, and opened fire on my neighbor. Still have the footage, I was on the phone, while flying the drone, directing local Game Warden and PD where he was hiding. Would've never NEVER caught him without it.

I. All Rangers are to be subject to the rules and articles of war; to appear at roll- call every evening, on their own parade, equipped, each with a Firelock, sixty rounds of powder and ball, and a hatchet, at which time an officer from each company is to inspect the same, to see they are in order, so as to be ready on any emergency to march at a minute's warning; and before they are dismissed, the necessary guards are to be draughted, and scouts for the next day appointed.

II. Whenever you are ordered out to the enemies forts or frontiers for discoveries, if your number be small, march in a single file, keeping at such a distance from each other as to prevent one shot from killing two men, sending one man, or more, forward, and the like on each side, at the distance of twenty yards from the main body, if the ground you march over will admit of it, to give the signal to the officer of the approach of an enemy, and of their number, &c.

III. If you march over marshes or soft ground, change your position, and march abreast of each other to prevent the enemy from tracking you (as they would do if you marched in a single file) till you get over such ground, and then resume your former order, and march till it is quite dark before you encamp, which do, if possible, on a piece of ground which that may afford your centries the advantage of seeing or hearing the enemy some considerable distance, keeping one half of your whole party awake alternately through the night.

IV. Some time before you come to the place you would reconnoitre, make a stand, and send one or two men in whom you can confide, to look out the best ground for making your observations.

V. If you have the good fortune to take any prisoners, keep them separate, till they are examined, and in your return take a different route from that in which you went out, that you may the better discover any party in your rear, and have an opportunity, if their strength be superior to yours, to alter your course, or disperse, as circumstances may require.

VI. If you march in a large body of three or four hundred, with a design to attack the enemy, divide your party into three columns, each headed by a proper officer, and let those columns march in single files, the columns to the right and left keeping at twenty yards distance or more from that of the center, if the ground will admit, and let proper guards be kept in the front and rear, and suitable flanking parties at a due distance as before directed, with orders to halt on all eminences, to take a view of the surrounding ground, to prevent your being ambuscaded, and to notify the approach or retreat of the enemy, that proper dispositions may be made for attacking, defending, &c. And if the enemy approach in your front on level ground, form a front of your three columns or main body with the advanced guard, keeping out your flanking parties, as if you were marching under the command of trusty officers, to prevent the enemy from pressing hard on either of your wings, or surrounding you, which is the usual method of the savages, if their number will admit of it, and be careful likewise to support and strengthen your rear-guard.

VII. If you are obliged to receive the enemy's fire, fall, or squat down, till it is over; then rise and discharge at them. If their main body is equal to yours, extend yourselves occasionally; but if superior, be careful to support and strengthen your flanking parties, to make them equal to theirs, that if possible you may repulse them to their main body, in which case push upon them with the greatest resolution with equal force in each flank and in the center, observing to keep at a due distance from each other, and advance from tree to tree, with one half of the party before the other ten or twelve yards. If the enemy push upon you, let your front fire and fall down, and then let your rear advance thro' them and do the like, by which time those who before were in front will be ready to discharge again, and repeat the same alternately, as occasion shall require; by this means you will keep up such a constant fire, that the enemy will not be able easily to break your order, or gain your ground.

VIII. If you oblige the enemy to retreat, be careful, in your pursuit of them, to keep out your flanking parties, and prevent them from gaining eminences, or rising grounds, in which case they would perhaps be able to rally and repulse you in their turn.

IX. If you are obliged to retreat, let the front of your whole party fire and fall back, till the rear hath done the same, making for the best ground you can; by this means you will oblige the enemy to pursue you, if they do it at all, in the face of a constant fire.

X. If the enemy is so superior that you are in danger of being surrounded by them, let the whole body disperse, and every one take a different road to the place of rendezvous appointed for that evening, which must every morning be altered and fixed for the evening ensuing, in order to bring the whole party, or as many of them as possible, together, after any separation that may happen in the day; but if you should happen to be actually surrounded, form yourselves into a square, or if in the woods, a circle is best, and, if possible, make a stand till the darkness of the night favours your escape.

XI. If your rear is attacked, the main body and flankers must face about to the right or left, as occasion shall require, and form themselves to oppose the enemy, as before directed; and the same method must be observed, if attacked in either of your flanks, by which means you will always make a rear of one of your flank-guards.

XII. If you determine to rally after a retreat, in order to make a fresh stand against the enemy, by all means endeavour to do it on the most rising ground you come at, which will give you greatly the advantage in point of situation, and enable you to repulse superior numbers.

XIII. In general, when pushed upon by the enemy, reserve your fire till they approach very near, which will then put them into the greatest surprize and consternation, and give you an opportunity of rushing upon them with your hatchets and cutlasses to the better advantage.

XIV. When you encamp at night, fix your centries in such a manner as not to be relieved from the main body till morning, profound secrecy and silence being often of the last importance in these cases. Each centry therefore should consist of six men, two of whom must be constantly alert, and when relieved by their fellows, it should be done without noise; and in case those on duty see or hear any thing, which alarms them, they are not to speak, but one of them is silently to retreat, and acquaint the commanding officer thereof, that proper dispositions may be made; and all occasional centries should be fixed in like manner.

XV. At the first dawn of day, awake your whole detachment; that being the time when the savages the savages chuse to fall upon their enemies, you should by all means be in readiness to receive them.

XVI. If the enemy should be discovered by your detachments in the morning, and their numbers are superior to yours, and a victory doubtful, you should not attack them till the evening, as then they will not know your numbers, and if you are repulsed, your retreat will be favoured by the darkness of the night.

XVII. Before you leave your encampment, send out small parties to scout round it, to see if there be any appearance or track of an enemy that might have been near you during the night.

XVIII. When you stop for refreshment, chuse some spring or rivulet if you can, and dispose your party so as not to be surprised, posting proper guards and centries at a due distance, and let a small party waylay the path you came in, lest the enemy should be pursuing.

XIX. If, in your return, you have to cross rivers, avoid the usual fords as much as possible, lest the enemy should have discovered, and be there expecting you.

XX. If you have to pass by lakes, keep at some distance from the edge of the water, lest, in case of an ambuscade or an attack from the enemy, when in that situation, your retreat should be cut off.

XXI. If the enemy pursue your rear, take a circle till you come to your own tracks, and there form an ambush to receive them, and give them the first fire.

XXII. When you return from a scout, and come near our forts, avoid the usual roads, and avenues thereto, lest the enemy should have headed you, and lay in ambush to receive you, when almost exhausted with fatigues.

XXIII. When you pursue any party that has been near our forts or encampments, follow not directly in their tracks, lest they should be discovered by their rear guards, who, at such a time, would be most alert; but endeavour, by a different route, to head and meet them in some narrow pass, or lay in ambush to receive them when and where they least expect it.

XXIV. If you are to embark in canoes, battoes, or otherwise, by water, chuse the evening for the time of your embarkation, as you will then have the whole night before you, to pass undiscovered by any parties of the enemy, on hills, or other places, which command a prospect of the lake or river you are upon.

XXV. In padling or rowing, give orders that the boat or canoe next the sternmost, wait for her, and the third for the second, and the fourth for the third, and so on, to prevent separation, and that you may be ready to assist each other on any emergency.

XXVI. Appoint one man in each boat to look out for fires, on the adjacent shores, from the numbers and size of which you may form some judgment of the number that kindled them, and whether you are able to attack them or not.

XXVII. If you find the enemy encamped near the banks of a river or lake, which you imagine they will attempt to cross for their security upon being attacked, leave a detachment of your party on the opposite shore to receive them, while, with the remainder, you surprize them, having them between you and the lake or river.

XXVIII. If you cannot satisfy yourself as to the enemy's number and strength, from their fire, &c. conceal your boats at some distance, and ascertain their number by a reconnoitering party, when they embark, or march, in the morning, marking the course they steer, &c. when you may pursue, ambush, and attack them, or let them pass, as prudence shall direct you. In general, however, that you may not be discovered by the enemy upon the lakes and rivers at a great distance, it is safest to lay by, with your boats and party concealed all day, without noise or shew; and to pursue your intended route by night; and whether you go by land or water, give out parole and countersigns, in order to know one another in the dark, and likewise appoint a station every man to repair to, in case of any accident that may separate you."

I've always wanted to try my hand at target detection. I often shoot guardian team matches, and the stages are blind, but that's still not quite the same as trying to detect a target that doesn't want to be found.

I've always wanted to try my hand at target detection.
Target detection is a life long & constant learning skill. As detection distance increases the more the skill set has to be refined. We had guys that were excellent shots with subs to 5-600yds no matter what mother throw-ed at them but could not find a simple target at 1-200 yds. In that short of a distance even with a subsonic its almost a gimme, as the average shooter was well under 2 moa at that distance.

If you really what to learn, get a friend to start setting simple targets at unknown distances w/o camo and as you progress revert to smaller & different levels of camo. Once you're deep into it, start using the sun & moon angles to your advantage. No matter how good of a shot or tactician one is, if they are always reacting,... at some point their luck will run out.

Good static target detection skills don't happen overnight,... and like electricity, (and many other things) not being able to see the threat does not mean its not close enough to, tag you.