• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Short action single feed mag bolt face cartridge recomendations

RampedRaptor

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2012
OH-IO Go buckeyes
Hello,

Thinking about having a barrel done up in something larger than 6mm for extended range use. Leaning towards a 30 cal but would be open to 338.

Would like to be able to hammer 1 mile steel and have killing authority at 1k. Accuracy is important and brass has to be obtainable.

Mostly this is just something to play around with at the range and reloading bench. I reload and am fine with working with wildcats. I prefer Improved cartridges with 30-35* shoulder angle.

The barrel is for a bighorn TL3 action with a magnum bolt face. Would like to have a barrel length of around 28"

I contacted bighorn about maybe doing a 338 edge p+ Or a 300 norma AI but they stated the action did not have enough of a safety margin in strength to handle the diameter of the case.

I read a little about the 300 norma blaser or something along those lines but brass seems very hard to find.

What would you guys recommend for a long range cartridge in a single fed short action?

Thanks in advance

image_74660.jpg

Last edited:
What quantifies as "killing authority"?

Simple choices could be 6.5/7 SAUM. Brass is available, and could be single fed if you wanted to run solids or similar (though not required).

If you want to cram in a long action round through the port, could run something like a 28 nosler, but ejecting a complete round might be an issue.

Deer, goats, antelope etc at 1000yards. There's a lot of threads about 1000yd bull elk killing power but that doesn't really apply to me because if I ever get a tag I'll build a special rifle. I'm definitely thinking long action cartridge in s short action

Last edited:
I should of also asked if anyone has opened up the bolt face on a bighorn and ran a 338 case safety? The 300 norma is what I really would like to shoot and load for but I might be asking for too much while sticking to my SA.

I'm gonna try to stop this thread right here. It is a stupid idea. You want a big-boy gun? Then build one. Bighorn already told you that it will not work and the action is not design to handle the pressure. That means it is dangerous. Now you're talking about machining the bolt-face to a larger caliber? Bighorn bolts are NP3 treated, so good luck with that. Additionally, you want to further weaken the bolt by removing more material? You also clearly do not realize that a cartridge of that size will never be able to eject from the port on a short-action. Just because you can get it in, doesn't mean you will be able to get it out. Not to mention there is not enough material to safely handle a cartridge that size with the amount of material on a short-action magazine-fed repeater. Save yourself the time money (and likely your fingers and face) and build a 338 long-action based rifle. Not sure if you are for real, trolling, cheap or touched.

I'm gonna try to stop this thread right here. It is a stupid idea. You want a big-boy gun? Then build one. Bighorn already told you that it will not work and the action is not design to handle the pressure. That means it is dangerous. Now you're talking about machining the bolt-face to a larger caliber? Bighorn bolts are NP3 treated, so good luck with that. Additionally, you want to further weaken the bolt by removing more material? You also clearly do not realize that a cartridge of that size will never be able to eject from the port on a short-action. Just because you can get it in, doesn't mean you will be able to get it out. Not to mention there is not enough material to safely handle a cartridge that size with the amount of material on a short-action magazine-fed repeater. Save yourself the time money (and likely your fingers and face) and build a 338 long-action based rifle. Not sure if you are for real, trolling, cheap or touched.

Good advice. For performance wirhout breaking bank the op should consider something like the Stiller TAC 338 action to build on.

I don't know if this is a test for the members, maybe an actual request for help?

If you can't afford a big cash layout buy a Savage factory rifle in 338. Maybe a 112 Magnum Target?

But remember you get what you pay for.

You want to be able to Hammer steel at 1 mile? Do you have a quality scope already?

Shooting a large bore rifle at distance accurately requires a few things: 1) a Good rifle 2) Good ammo 3) Good optics 4) Practice 5) Money for items 1-4.

If you want you can change Good to Excellent on items 1-3 but like you learned in grade school changing 1-3 effects item 5!!

Good Luck

Well, if money isn't an issue, you want to reach out to XLR distances and you really want to do something a bit different, why not do a custom build based on a 375CT case? There are several ways to go based on that case, they are a blast to shoot & they'll get you out past 2000 quite nicely.

yeah, got to echo this advice. Please do yourself a favor and think of safety first. Do not do a 338 rifle based on this action.

A 6.5 SAUM will be a beast out of this TL3 short action, mag face. Very capable at 1 mile steel and 1000yd hunting (if you are up to it).

7SAUM also, with the 180gr class bullet, does what you want with a bit less wind drift than the 6.5. This is probably a single feeder, but its possible to run it from magazine if you want a bit more of a reloading challenge.

If you want to run 30cal and single feed, 300 WSM is a very viable choice. 200gr class bullet or heavier = boat load of energy past 1000yds = more splash = more hits.

I would make sure you get good brass. Good brass = easy to get low ES/SD MV. Low ES/SD MV = so much easier to get hits at ELR.

Again, safety first.

You also clearly do not realize that a cartridge of that size will never be able to eject from the port on a short-action. Just because you can get it in, doesn't mean you will be able to get it out.

And to clarify,
I fully understand ejection will be atypical. The only reason I mentioned a 338 case was because I see them being done on R.E.M. 700s and have to think that a TL3 is at least equal in strength.

No reason to get this off track. I'm looking for cartridge ideas to be ran as a single fed on a short action. Honestly the 300 wsm seems to be quite a contender with down range energy. The 7 wsm has better ballistics but not quite the energy on target and will also suffer less barrel life

thanks for everyone's assistance this far

Last edited:
I'll abandon going down the 338 road with this action.
Please also abandon the idea of hunting at 1000 yards. The battle cry of every clown at the bar is "Hunting at 1000 yards" or "338 Lapua Magnum".

The only reason I mentioned a 338 case was because I see them being done on R.E.M. 700s
It is not recommended in that action either.

Please also abandon the idea of hunting at 1000 yards. The battle cry of every clown at the bar is "Hunting at 1000 yards" or "338 Lapua Magnum".

It is not recommended in that action either.

Why abandon it? I don't understand. I'm not one who hunts at 1k but it would be nice to have enough energy at that distance to know that if the conditions permit and the hunt requires a shot be placed at that distance the hunter have an adequate cartridge.

Yes, 6.5 Saum is a very capable all around cartridge. using the new .697 BC 147gr and a 7.25 twist barrel will really put down some good numbers. Most everyone loads this cartridge down but it can be loaded up too. .697BC at 3100 fps in a longer barrel is doable. Do both, say a light load of 130's at 3000fps for fun shooting or good barrel life and the warm load to get more serious with, you will have a light recoiling laser.

I had much more success at 1 mile with my 6.5Saum/longer throat, than I thought was possible! 1000Y is a chip shot with 140 hybrids at 3175fps. The high node was 3275 fps but I had to back down because a bullet would fail mid air sometimes.

Last edited: