Short magnums for ELR rifles

cuirc

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Nov 8, 2023
    Poughkeepsie n. y.
    I recently came into ownership of a Remington 40X in 243. A very nice looking rifle with a stainless barrel; it doesn't need anything and could remain as is. But there is a Problem is, it has a 10 twist and the range of bullets that will stabilize is short. I was wondering if I converted it to one of the short magnums like the 300 S win. How close would it come to being practical as an ELR rifle?

An older article but looks like short mags (6.5PRC, 6.5SAUM, 7SAUM etc) were fairly popular a few years ago for ELR.

I believe 300 Norma and 300PRC are the most popular cartridges (until the big big cartridges start taking over .375/.4xx) but the short mags are every bit as effective now as they were when this article was written.

For "medium ELR" 1000-2000yards it looks like 7-6.5prc (basically 7saum with better brass) is shapping up to be a very popular option.

Reactions: lash and cuirc
    Thank you for the information, I have a 40X action that I think would be great for that, if it can handle the pressure. Right now at 80 I am using a 338 LM and I will have to work out all year, to keep in shape to be able to continue in the near term with it, When the time comes to scale down, I hope to have a path to success.

Reactions: lash
    7 Sherman short Mag or do a 7mm-6.5PRC and single load.

The issue you will have is your action has a .473 bolt face and you need a .538. Would be cheaper and probally better in long run to buy a new action like origin or ARC CDG.

Last edited:
    Reactions: lash