Short Range Tall Target Test

USMC22

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Supporter
Feb 10, 2017
New Hampshire
I remounted my Vortex Razor Gen III 6-36x56 (MRAD) in the Area 419 One Piece Mount.

Used a Short Action Customs Final Scope Level mounted in a Wilton Vise and Plumb Bob. Confirmed the MDT Level mounted to the Scope Rings Showed 'level' and the reticle was 'plumb' with gravity.

Shot some groups, slipped the turrets and fired these (3) 5 Shot Groups @ 50 Yards (Lapua Center X with 1072 FPS Average and 9.2 FPS Standard Deviation over 50 Shots)

IMG_3554.jpeg
IMG_3555.jpeg

Moved on to so a Short Range Tall Target Test (50 Yards). At 50 yards I was dialing '2' Mils to move the rounds '1' Mil on the tall target target. I got sloppy (hot / tired) toward the end. It shows after the 10 Mil Dial (I went up '1' Mil instead of '2' and pulled a round). Determined what I had left for elevation on the target and dialed '18' Mils and tried to take my time / make sure the MDT was showing level.

IMG_3557.jpeg

All in all I'm happy with it. I did it at 50 yards to try and eliminate wind and capitalize on accuracy.

Last edited:
This is very interesting. I have wondered if it was possible to do at a rimfire zero distance or not. I'll plan to print these targets off and do just that.

Reactions: USMC22
Correction factor calculated from 7/22/24: 1.008
Correction factor calculated from 7/24/24: 1.014

I think something or a combination of things is off by a total of 1 degree (leaning right). It doesn't show its head till around 10 mils of elevation are dialed.

Either way. . . for my NRL22 Rifle and even Rimfire PRS I don't think it's worth messing with at this point. 10 mils of dialed elevation puts me in the ball park of 250 Yards. After 10 mils it looks like I would miss low and right if not applying a correction factor.

This is very interesting. I have wondered if it was possible to do at a rimfire zero distance or not. I'll plan to print these targets off and do just that.
You just need a line spaced every 18" exactly. And the target planted plumb and true at exactly 50yds. That will equal 10 mils at 50yds.

Correction factor calculated from 7/22/24: 1.008
Correction factor calculated from 7/24/24: 1.014

I think something or a combination of things is off by a total of 1 degree (leaning right). It doesn't show its head till around 10 mils of elevation are dialed.

Either way. . . for my NRL22 Rifle and even Rimfire PRS I don't think it's worth messing with at this point. 10 mils of dialed elevation puts me in the ball park of 250 Yards. After 10 mils it looks like I would miss low and right if not applying a correction factor.

I recall Bryan Litz doing a tall target test video. In it he said an error of 2% or less is acceptable. Probably because there is always ways for the environment or the variability in ammo or shooter error effecting the test.

There is a rimfire specific tall target test off in the resources section that I’ve designed. You can print it on a 11x17(with no scaling) and test your turret tracking to 8 mils.
Greatly appreciate that. I printed 10 of them off this morning. I have a few rifles to run through that test.

You just need a line spaced every 18" exactly. And the target planted plumb and true at exactly 50yds. That will equal 10 mils at 50yds.

I recall Bryan Litz doing a tall target test video. In it he said an error of 2% or less is acceptable. Probably because there is always ways for the environment or the variability in ammo or shooter error effecting the test.
I'm happy with the how close the results were to each other doing it on 2 different days with the same ammo.
0.006 difference... I can't out shoot that or correct for that.