• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Shot a 209 Primer at 100 Yards....

Leland1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2009
Ok guys.... I have pulled of a shot that even I couldn't of guessed Id make.

Me and the FIL were at the range. Me with the Marlin, Him with his 1022.

I shoot at 50 yards for a while testing out different ammo and getting exelent groups with most of it.

Then I decide to group at 100 yards. I make a group and my FIL tells me hes got a challange for me. He knows how I am about challanges!!

He tells me to hit a 209 shotgun primer at 100 yards. OK!

So I set up with some clays on the back of the stock to keep it steady and the bipod on the front. I decide to use remington bulk to REALLY test out the round.

I get into position saying "Leland, what have you gotten yourself into?"

FIL says "Its not like ill blow your brains out if you dont hit it...."

I tell him that it really is because ive NEVER missed a challange.

I get into position and fire my first group. I cant see the primer because the primer is smaller than my crosshairs at 100 yards.

I get a sticky the size of a penny and put the primer in the middle of it and go mark my groups. I make an adjustment on my scope and go again.

Another trip to the target to check and mark groups.

Another adjustment on the scope.

After another 6 shots I hear the primer hit and the sticker flies off the target!!!!!

Me and the wife go look and the target has a black burn on it and the wife finds the sticker.... blackened and burnt!

I look closer at the target and Ive got 3 shots RIGHT under the primer all in a single hole!!

NOW THATS A GROUP!!

Now what do I do....

SDC10940.jpg

SDC10937.jpg

Re: Shot a 209 Primer at 100 Yards....

Nice Shooting !

When I was a kid we used to take the shotgun reloads that didn't crimp right and stuff them in a dirt bank then take turns shooting at them until they went off . Probably not anywhere close to 100 yards away but it was always cool when they went off .

Re: Shot a 209 Primer at 100 Yards....

Nice shooting Leland1. I've always heard good things about the Marlin 925. I plan on that being my next rifle by the way.

Last year after one of our .22 shoots, me and another feller hung around the range after everyone had left and we hung some empty shotgun shells on nails (facing us) from 25 yards that we had found on the ground earlier. The objective was to hit the spent primer. He did it 3 times and I missed everytime I tried.

I'll have to let him that the new bench mark is now 100 yards. Again, nice shooting!