• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Shot a match with my Tikka T1x 17HMR

rimfire22lr

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2018
There are not many matches for the hot rimfires but we have a a few matches locally where 22lr, 22WMR, 17HMR, 17Mach2, and precision airguns compete together. This morning I shot the silhouette short course. It is the standard distances (40, 60, 77, 100 meters) on the NRA smallbore rifle silhouettes, shot from the bench. Today I competed using my Tikka T1x 17HMR with LW barrel, Lowey Tuner, Bravo, etc. I used Hornady VMAX sorted by OAL. my OAL range used for the match was 1.350-1.355. The photos give the stats on the ammunition and a view of the rifle. The course of fire was 80 rounds and I managed a perfect score of 80/80. The last time I shot the match in March, I scored 79/80 -- missed a chicken getting cute with my wind hold.
I know there are some 17HMR shooters here so I figured I would let folks know a few of us do get the chance to shoot some club level matches with the caliber.
image5 (1).jpeg
image4 (3).jpeg
image0 (23).jpeg
image2 (8).jpeg
image1 (13).jpeg
image0 (22).jpeg

That's awesome and great shooting. I've got Ruger Precision RF in .17HMR but haven't done much with it except predator control. Not sure how the factory barrel would do on the bench?
Thx. I have a RPRR in 22lr. I don't know how the Ruger 17 barrels do. My factory Tikka barrel shoots very well, but when I decided to build the rifle into a more precision rifle format, I installed the heavier, 20-inch LW barrel. Still have the factor 16-inch barrel, the stock, etc.

Thx. I have a RPRR in 22lr. I don't know how the Ruger 17 barrels do. My factory Tikka barrel shoots very well, but when I decided to build the rifle into a more precision rifle format, I installed the heavier, 20-inch LW barrel. Still have the factor 16-inch barrel, the stock, etc.
Me too. But my RPRF .22 has a Timney trigger and a 20" Shaw barrel. It does ok, but not like my CZ 457 MDT with the 24" barrel.

I'm not familiar with LW?

Interesting…what have you found to be the most consistently accurate grain for your 17
I haven't really experimented with many different weights/rounds. The CCI 17gr polymer tipped varmint round shot really well at 35 and 50 yards. But I was not shooting for score, only zeroing for predators, so I can't speak to consistency or benchrest accuracy. I've got some 20gr FMJ and HPs but have not tested them.

Me too. But my RPRF .22 has a Timney trigger and a 20" Shaw barrel. It does ok, but not like my CZ 457 MDT with the 24" barrel.

I'm not familiar with LW?
I put the Shaw barrel on my RPRR also, but it was a disappointment. Sold it and went back to the factory barrel. I haven't touched the rifle in years with no plans to do so. Too many better options.

I put the Shaw barrel on my RPRR also, but it was a disappointment. Sold it and went back to the factory barrel. I haven't touched the rifle in years with no plans to do so. Too

I put the Shaw barrel on my RPRR also, but it was a disappointment. Sold it and went back to the factory barrel. I haven't touched the rifle in years with no plans to do so. Too many better options.
I'm toying with doing the same! I was "whining" to the wife about it, and she bought me a CZ 457 MDT Chassis. (I know, right??? Gotta love her) Anyway, I spent sooo much time trying to make a "shooter on a budget" that I can't quite give up on it yet. Perhaps one of my grandkids will take an interest and it would make a good trainer? My story of shipping it to Timney and then to Ruger to fix a "trigger" problem is buried in my posts somewhere here, lol.

I'm toying with doing the same! I was "whining" to the wife about it, and she bought me a CZ 457 MDT Chassis. (I know, right??? Gotta love her) Anyway, I spent sooo much time trying to make a "shooter on a budget" that I can't quite give up on it yet. Perhaps one of my grandkids will take an interest and it would make a good trainer? My story of shipping it to Timney and then to Ruger to fix a "trigger" problem is buried in my posts somewhere here, lol.
Oh, and I have trouble parting with anything, so the stock barrel is here and the Shaw would probably sit here too if I took it off. Mind sharing how much you recouped by selling it?
Maybe I could do better trading with someone.

But, my brother and I are meeting in Illinois next month and there is a bet on our competition with matching RPRFs with Shaw and Timney installed. It might get crazy since we can go over 500yds on our farm, so we might see how they do at 100+ just for bragging rights. Then, the Shaw might come off, lol I'm rambling again....
D4T

Oh, and I have trouble parting with anything, so the stock barrel is here and the Shaw would probably sit here too if I took it off. Mind sharing how much you recouped by selling it?
Maybe I could do better trading with someone.

But, my brother and I are meeting in Illinois next month and there is a bet on our competition with matching RPRFs with Shaw and Timney installed. It might get crazy since we can go over 500yds on our farm, so we might see how they do at 100+ just for bragging rights. Then, the Shaw might come off, lol I'm rambling again....
D4T
If I recall correctly, I bought it for $300 and sold it for $200 to a guy locally, who picked it up. Not a big deal. The Rugers shoot pretty well, and the adjustability make them very good as loaners because you quickly and easily set them up to fit whomever is doing the shooting. I won't sell it. I have thrown a red dot on it and used it for offhand shooting before, and I actually like it in that role.

Reactions: Die4toys
Thanks for the report.

That'd be a fun match to try!

Darn far away for me but if I ever make it out that way again I'd like to go shoot that match with my 25 caliber Vulcan 3 PCP air rifle using Altaros 60gr slugs having a G1 BC of .245.
you would be welcomed. We have a group of guy shooting those FX air rifles designed for the 60-grain slugs. Some of them are also shooting 30-caliber air rifles. The guns are very impressive to say the least.

• Love
Reactions: steve123