Side by side shopping, turbo razor?

346ci

FJB
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Mar 26, 2010
    NC
    So I'm wanting to get a sxs, we rode some of the h&m trails in September in a rented turbo razor S, stupid fast machine but had heard bad things about Polaris build quality. As in they are junk, stay away. This didn't really add up as 90% of the machines on those trails are Polaris of some sort.

So fast forward several months and I was set on a new Teryx LE 2 seater, can get a left over '19 LE for $12.6K out the door and have a 3 year warranty. Now I'm thinking I won't be happy with it, went and looked at the KRX, Talon and XYZ SS. Really liked the XYZ so went and talked to the service manager of a huge powersports dealer that sells all but the CanAm's. His advice was a new turbo razor XP at $18.7k out the door, said to keep it out of the mud and it will be fine.

Now I'm all kinds of confused, found a '17 turbo razor Xp with 1200 miles pretty close to me, might can get it for $13k. While I know a new one won't have any miles, I'm still stuck with a 6 month warranty and almost $19k.

Forgot to add background; always had Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki ATVs/dirtbikes. Last machine was a '18 brute force 750.

I have built both the Polaris and the Can Am X3 which were full race builds. Get the new Honda Talon and put some accessories on it. Anyone who tells you other wise is trying to justify what they spent. It takes 50K to build the X3 and almost as much on the Polaris but it hled up better. We always joke that the CAN AM is a fragile as a 90 year old Grandma and they are right. If you want to race you will have not choice but to completly rebuild the Polaris or the CAN AM. The Honda will not be as fast but the quality will be your friend.

Yamaha is a high revving set up that is hard on the transmission but also has some benefits with reduction in parasitic loss. The down side is the durability of the engine and the transmission for long term use at high speed.

Based off what you said is available, get the Polaris and do the maintenance on it as you ride.

Reactions: 346ci
    He said the Talon jerks alot(and steering radius sucks), I assume from the trans design, said the YXZ does it too but not as bad. I've been reading a lot on all the forums, so far the YXZ seems to have the most feedback and they fixed all the issues in the 2019+ models. Thinking I can get a left over 19 for $16.5-ish. Still a hell of a lot of money.

I take very good care of my equipment and do all the wrenching, mechanic by trade.

Thanks, good info.

A coworker has a Talon and I didn't notice any jerking while riding in it. I will say that overall it's a better machine than the Polaris. It has better seats, better suspension, a better engine, and no CVT belt to replace. He owned a Polaris 900XT before getting the Talon.

Reactions: Tazman and 346ci
    I have drove them all, no jerking that I can remember on the Talon. All CVT's will have some sort of engagement lunge unless you install a Dura-Clutch but they are better designed for the Ranger and utility style sport riding. The yamaha can have a manual or centrifugal clutch but both are high maintenance if you are hard riding. They are all expensive to own and maintain no matter what you end up with.

I drove an RZR1000(non turbo) in Moab... im sure it was beat to shit as it was a rental... I wasnt that impressed, but we werent able to do a lot of the obstacles because we were on a tour type thing and the other 5 people were on Wolverines that couldnt do the obstacles so we bypassed. The guide said the RZR would have done all the obstacles we by-passed.

I drove a friends Maverick X3 something(it was one of the higher end ones with like 33" tires on it) and that was a really nice ride. It felt good. I dont know anything about the durability though as Tazman talks about. I dont think my buddy has had any issues with his, but he doesnt typically beat the shit out of his toys for the sake of beating the shit out of them(which a LOT of SxS guys seem to do). His is the new 240??? HP version with the fox reservoir shocks and like 24" of suspension travel... it was bad ass.

That Yamaha looks nice and the Honda with a DCT vs. the CVT looks interesting.

When the wife and I got back from Moab we investigated getting something and the RZR line has BY FAR the biggest aftermarket...and you WILL mod the thing. So even if the RZR has "some" faults, I think its probably still the way to go. The Can-Am being second and the Yamaha and Honda are probably tied for 3rd, at least as far as the aftermarket stuff is concerned. It looks like Yamaha has a decent amount of Factory performance add-on's, but to do what? Bring it to a level of a turbo RZR or turbo Can-Am?

image2.jpeg

This is the one I sold.
    image2.jpeg

Reactions: 346ci and oneshot86
    Mine is not a razor, but I can say that I have been impressed with the build quality of Polaris. I beat the everliving snot out of this thing plowing snow and it's held up really well.
    Screenshot_20200203-172817.png

Just curious are side by sides hard on your lower back? Riding quads and motorcycles I all ways use my legs when needed over rough terrain, seems like you would be out of luck in a side by side

The Razor S turbo we rented had 6000+ miles on it and I'm not sure what all the suspension had done, shocks looked stock. It was a good ride considering all the bumps, rocks, etc we went over. My riding buddy has a bone stock JD gator 860, him and his wife enjoyed the trip and didn't complain about aches or pains.

We get into another realm of how these machines preform, ride quality. I know the Teryx may need Bandits to ride better, that is another $1000-$1500 that may or may not get us where needed.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
    Guys... the Ranger is in a class by it'self. I didn't mean to imply they are all weak. We love our Ranger and my wife had 10 inch marine Kicker subs put under each seat and FoCal speakers with a 1000watt maring amp. We can rock with the best of them!!lol

You need to look at the trails and places you intend to ride...there is a balance between width, length, and speed.

Last edited:
    I have a Can Am commander 1000. I got lucky when I bought it because I didn't really know what I needed. I thought I wanted the Arctic Cat Wildcat but glad I walked away from that. The fact that the Commander has a usable bed on the back is what works for me. I'm going to repeat that. The usable bed is indespensible on the farm. I can't remember the last time I used it for fun. I'm always working with it. The Rotax is a good engine and I have not had any issues out of the CVT. The fuel mapping is not that good but that can be reprogrammed whenever I get the time. I work for the comapny that supplies the fuel delivery system so I just need to get the updated maps. Now, when I do want to play, it will rip. We have 100 Acres and I can run all over it in just a few minutes when I need to check fences and property lines. The pictures show how it fits cattle dogs and chainsaws. And also how you haul it back to the shop when you try to do a 180 but the rear hooks hard. I steered out of it but it blew the CV. My fault, not Can Am.

Attachments

• can am tractor.JPG
      can am tractor.JPG
      333.5 KB · Views: 41
    • Z dog Can Am.JPG
      Z dog Can Am.JPG
      1.2 MB · Views: 39
    I have a Can Am commander 1000. I got lucky when I bought it because I didn't really know what I needed. I thought I wanted the Arctic Cat Wildcat but glad I walked away from that. The fact that the Commander has a usable bed on the back is what works for me. I'm going to repeat that. The usable bed is indespensible on the farm. I can't remember the last time I used it for fun. I'm always working with it. The Rotax is a good engine and I have not had any issues out of the CVT. The fuel mapping is not that good but that can be reprogrammed whenever I get the time. I work for the comapny that supplies the fuel delivery system so I just need to get the updated maps. Now, when I do want to play, it will rip. We have 100 Acres and I can run all over it in just a few minutes when I need to check fences and property lines. The pictures show how it fits cattle dogs and chainsaws. And also how you haul it back to the shop when you try to do a 180 but the rear hooks hard. I steered out of it but it blew the CV. My fault, not Can Am.

living the dream(y)

I wouldn't consider a turbo powered side-by-side unless you intend to ride the dunes or wide open desert areas. If you're sticking to mountain trails and logging roads I'd go with the yamaha. This guy does a decent job reviewing the Honda, Kawi, and Yamaha:

Reactions: Tazman