• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Side Charger + Suppresser

cookietheswede

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2010
Southgate, KY
I have been looking t Crosshill Technology side charging AR upper and Have a few questions about gas blow back with side chargers. Being a righty shooter, how much gas/what knots come back and get you in the face through the left charging slot? I like the idea of left charging to keep my right hand on the gun. If just right charging is recommended I am fine with that.

Upper will be a .223 with a 14" barrel. AAC 762-SDN-6 suppressor will be used.

Also toying around with the idea with not running a gas system if crap in the face is an issue. I assume still some would get buy. Being a single shot is not a problem for what it is intended for. Only going to use it to shoot out to 600yds max at some local matches/taking money from buddy's.

Thanks in advance.

i have not tried a side charger. but i do run an adjustable gas block with my suppressor. most of the gas when shooting suppressed comes out of the 2 gas holes in the side of the bcg. i run an adams arms piston drive on another ar 15 rifle. i did not like it untill i got a suppressor. it is nice to be able to switch gas settings on a detent rather than needing tools. i need to allen wrenches to adjust the gas on my di gun to make it run unsuppressed. it runs way smoother with the gas turned down though. rather than over gassing it when i put on the suppressor

cooter punch

I have a side charger on a shorty POF 308. I find that it actually helps with the gas blow back, especially when suppressed as it's directed straight out to the 9 o'clock position. I've found that it also helps relieve bore pressure immensely. I'm certainly glad I undertook the task. I wouldn't be worried about gas in the face on a side charger.

I run a JP Enterprises PSC11(20" barrel) with adjustable gas block and have experienced no issues with gas/crap in my face although this is a little longer than what you are looking at doing..... Hope this helps.

I have a JP PSC-12 as well, but I think it's effect on gas management is quite different only because the side charging handle doesn't reciprocate with the carrier resulting in the slot machined out of the left side of the receiver being almost completely closed during live fire. Still though, it should be a benefit rather than a disadvantage.