• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

sierra bullets

Bad Karma08

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2011
New York
Going to start loading some .308 to test in my stick. Will be loading 175gr sierra hpbt mk heads, federal 210 primers, and a mixture of powders to find the right combo (some imr3031, rl15, imr4064 if i can find some locally).

question is, where is everyone ordering their sierras? i know of a few places, but wanted to see if any supporting vendors here have them in stock or if anyone knows of good price elsewhere. Thanks

Re: sierra bullets

haha no it was totally a joke.. its the origin of the "do not attack new members" post. People would call em something like "heads" or "tips" and the whole thread would be a bash-a-thon about it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proarc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try the Berger 175s. More money, but more consistent in my guns. </div></div>

+1
I'm really digging the new 175 OTM's.

Any one ever go to the Sierra plant in Mo. Years ago i heard they had seconds in barrels in there show room they sold by the pound .Any truth to this and do they still do it ? Arnie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arnie19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any one ever go to the Sierra plant in Mo. Years ago i heard they had seconds in barrels in there show room they sold by the pound .Any truth to this and do they still do it ? Arnie </div></div>

This is correct!
It is nice to live about 2 hours from there as I occasionally make it down there for a big batch. I have been doing this for the last couple of years. There are some pros and cons though. I will start with the pros, that being that depending on who fills the order... they occasionally throw in a little extra. Now the cons... thier prices have gone up a bit over the last 2 years. Now its only about 4 dollars less per hundred compared to new. There can also be some "dud" rounds or other bullets in the mix. Not often but I check and weigh them just to be safe...
Great people though.. they will give you a tour just walking in!! And they have a 200 or 300yd. range in the basement!!!

Figured I would add this... My last post was after 2 trips buying thier seconds. I was just checking bullets after my last post and went through 10 of 15 pounds that I bought as seconds. The batch tonight was more accurate than a box I bought new! Didn't find one mixed bullet and they were all within 0.1 grain of 175 grains!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arnie19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any one ever go to the Sierra plant in Mo. Years ago i heard they had seconds in barrels in there show room they sold by the pound .Any truth to this and do they still do it ? Arnie </div></div>

Yes, your taking a gamble though. Some times you get lucky sometimes you dont. Good for Plinking around. 200yrds or less not so good sorting them out. + -3 grs for my experience several jackets messed up and a couple 168gr bullets in my 175's. I probably won't get any more .308's.

Yes it's true. I came through there on the way back from a prairie dog hunt. They gave us the nickel tour and were super nice. All of us went to the seconds store and bought up...It wasn't until we got home that we realized that the seconds were _truly_ seconds and not cosmetic blemishes like what we had purchased with the Midway/Hornady rounds. I bought some Blitzkings and about 1/2 of them had the tips in backwards. In the end, I think the seconds I bought are more hassle than their worth but it was worth the tour and hospitality.

I've been shooting their seconds in 77 grain out to 600 yards for Service Rifle. They shoot well. I bought mine in '02, don't remember them being very expensive then. 10 lbs of 77's and a few pounds each of 150's and 175's. Looking forward to stopping by next year if they have any. Friendly people and a great operation, well worth the trip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try the H4895, have had great success with it. </div></div>

Think I might have some actually, how much are you loading with it? thanks in advance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proarc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try the Berger 175s. More money, but more consistent in my guns. </div></div>

Had some laying around from a trade I made years ago. just sold most of them, but i should have at least 20-30 left I could test out. Have any load info you care to share with them? All my start off points for loading to test is based on sierra bullets, not sure how much of a difference it'll make since its the same weight bullet, but figured I would ask anyway. Thanks

I was there about 4 years ago I bought about 100 lbs of 69gr SMK and about 100lbs of 77gr SMK and some are totally trash. Those make good blasting ammo. I shot them in my service rile and was getting many odd fliers. During the tour they showed me this scanner/ scale they had. Granted it was not running but Caroll said it weighed the bullets and then took a bunch of measurements. Then the ones that did not weigh or measure out right were kicked out.

Any way long story short I measured them out by bearing length while watching TV. There was some big differences. That helped the groups a lot. I hate the tv show survivor but the GF loves it so I have lots of time to weigh the bullets and sort them by weight also. I will still get an odd flyer every now and again but they are pretty consistent now that I have put many hours into sorting them. Granted I have lots of time. The GF loves reality TV. So I do most of the reloading tasks that do not require a press while sitting with her.

My last GF had kids and that cut down on the brass prep time but kids are great helpers. Granted they are slower than hell but do a good job. Just make sure you wash their hands. You know how kids are with washing.

rpk, I shoot the blems as well.

The only thing I do is weight check them as I have found a few 69s in the 77s. As far as variance from first run bullets, it appears that the reject lots I have are slightly outside their +/- 2 tenths of a grain of target weight, so 76.7 grains, but very consistent for weight within that group, just a tenth light of spec weight.

They do not weigh/scan every bullet. They do samples, and if they have a sample failure, then they reject the whole lot. My best guess is they get the very slightly off weight rejects due to the core/jacket variances being a slight mismatch to meet the target weight. They tweak the machine that makes the core or the jacket to get the weight up a few tenths and go back to making in spec bullets.

I suggest you do the same QC checks across mixed lots of first run bullets, as the blems are a mix of lots, which could be leading to some of the variances you are seeing in your testing. As far as these differences causing fliers, I'd be looking at my own shooting, not a thousandths variance on a bearing surface or base to ogive length, for resolution to this issue.

you mentioned powders,

-- Varget \
-- RL15 --- These are all very time proven. One of these will work.
-- H4895 /

-- AR Comp \
-------------- A couple of new powders by Alliant. 2000 MR is especially interesting.
-- 2000 MR /

Have a good one,
Gary

When I shoot new bullets I just shoot one box until it is gone. Then I use a new box until it is gone. With first run bullets I did not have near the amount of fliers. I do not mix boxes at all. I can call fliers almost always with irons and with a scope I know if I screw something up. Everyone I have shot with who shoot seconds all say just sort by weight and you will never know. That did not work nor did just by bearing length. A combo of both did help a lot. Must be a picky tube on my rifle. lol