• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Sig 716 vs DPMS SASS

05ravenr1

Private
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2013
I am looking at getting a 308 in a semi auto configuration. I am really down to these two and wanted to get some feedback if anyone has shot either gun especially if you have shot both. My goal for this gun is semi accurate long range 5-600 yard paper punching and possibly some deer / hog hunting (2-400 yard range).
The 716 is $1870 OTD
The SASS is $2200 OTD

Pros and cons I am aware of are below, any other input would be appreciated.

Sig 716
Pros
Price, $300 i can put towards a scope
Adjustable gas block

Cons
Shorter less accurate barrel from what I have heard.
Lack of parts compatability
Trigger

DPMS SASS
Pros
Bipod included
Longer more accurate barrel, again based on what I've read
More parts compatability

Cons
Price tag
Non-adjustable gas block
Weight

For the SIG 716 Precision, ordering through the Law Enforcement/Military program, the rifle is under $2,100.00 (I had one on order in February of this year - walked into LGS and they had an LMT MWS so I bought it instead).

The LMT is a different league in my opinion, the SASS is a great shooter, the other plus you forgot is it has the JP trigger, not a good as my Geissele but almost there and way better than my other DPMS AP4 trigger. I just bought the SASS for $ 1800 from Reeds Sporting on gunbroker. Never shot the Sig so cant compare actual experience.

I have both in the store and frankly the Sig is better quality. As for the recommendation of F&D earlier I would HIGHLY suggest looking at JP, GAP, Larue, LWRC, LMT, or any number of manufacturers before F&D.

I have both the SIG 716 and the DPMS SASS. The SASS has a much better trigger than the 716. The 716's trigger has a much heavier trigger pull but crisp with no creep. The SASS will shoot tighter groups, 0.75 moa on average with the 716, 0.5 moa on average with the SASS. Down side of the SASS it is a beast to lug around but great for stationary shooting. The SIG 716 is the one I would choose for more all around use. The fit and finish of both rifles is the same both are well made rifles. Being heavier the SASS has less recoil and the PRS stock on the SASS is a $350 upgrade if you ever want to put one on the 716 but I really like the Magpul ACS stock on the 716.
So the decision rests on how and where the rifle will be used.

Sig ships the 716 with a very heavy trigger ,making it hard to get a good group. The G 3 gun trigger transforms it . You will never know how good the Sig is with the stock trigger.

I forgot to add that I bought JP's reduced trigger pull kit from Brownells ($10) and it really helped reduced the SIG 716's trigger pull but it is still heavier than the SASS's.

Thanks to everyone for the input! I think I am going to pick up the Sig and may upgrade the trigger at some point. Now to figure out a scope for it......

That is what I did before I ever even shot the first round. I put the Geissele SSA-E in and I am really pleased with it. I had a few other SSA's, but wanted a little less pull on this one. I think I may be driving myself insane trying to figure out a scope for it. Looks like I will be shooting open sights this weekend if I shoot it. Curious to see which way you go with it.

I got my Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 sfp from Chris at Sportoptics and it really doe's everything I need it to on the Sig and is very clear and bright. The fast service and great prices can't be beat . The Sig 716p with the G 3 gun trigger and the Viper PST can now get 1MOA ( with match ammo ) at 100 yards and I have shot out too 300 yards and can group a 5 shot group at just 1.75 moa. The rifle is a pleasure to shoot and the more I shoot it the better I like it . I tried a Viper 1-4 and with my old eyes it just was too hard to see well at over 100 yards .

Last edited:
Love mine too, it wastes hogs and coyotes nightly:

SIG%20716%20Specter%20DR.jpg