• Today we celebrate America. Happy 4th!

Thank you to all the vets and Americans out there and if you were a vet, share your stories below! We're also offering a 15% discount on all subscriptions with code AMERICA24

Share your story Subscribe

Sig Cross with Peterson SRP 308

Had to look it up, never heard of them but looks interesting given how hard it is to find large rifle primers. Assuming you're worried about primer piercing.

Can this be tested with just a primer/case? Maybe purchase 50 and report back :)
There's multiple reasons and the availability of LRP is sure on the top of that list! I have a good stash of SRP but both large rifle & pistol is too difficult to attain.

I've found one post from some dude that says he does it with no issue. But of course has nothing to add about it.

I picked up a box of 50 and will report after I blast some. I hope there's no piercing. My brand new bolt face already has a pit in it from that garbage Federal brass.

I use both LR & SR primers in 308.
Did a test one day, same powder, and bullets, to see the difference along with some hybrid cases.
One test, one example:
LR primers were more accurate, 40 fps more velocity, and lower S/D.
The most accurate was hybrid cases.
The worst performance was with SR primers in 308, in accuracy, S/D, and lowest velocity.
So maybe one should check his load with both primers to see which is best for their particular load.

I use both LR & SR primers in 308.
Did a test one day, same powder, and bullets, to see the difference along with some hybrid cases.
One test, one example:
LR primers were more accurate, 40 fps more velocity, and lower S/D.
The most accurate was hybrid cases.
The worst performance was with SR primers in 308, in accuracy, S/D, and lowest velocity.
So maybe one should check his load with both primers to see which is best for their particular load.
Thank you for the reply. I was looking for some input like that. There's no issue with the excessive primer flow into the bolt face? Aside from that where are you finding the hybrid cases? I honestly haven't seeked any out, but thought that was the whole thing with the Fury cartridge. I didn't think the steel was sizeable too. But I'll dig into it. Thank for the input!

Thank you for the reply. I was looking for some input like that. There's no issue with the excessive primer flow into the bolt face? Aside from that where are you finding the hybrid cases? I honestly haven't seeked any out, but thought that was the whole thing with the Fury cartridge. I didn't think the steel was sizeable too. But I'll dig into it. Thank for the input!
You're welcome.
I do not have problems with excessive primer flow, on any of the cases in the trial.
Hybrid cases are only available in the military form 6.8X 51 mm with SS case heads.
I use the hybrid cases by the hundreds, and form them into 308 Win, 6.5 CM, 8.6 Blackout, 358 Win.
This allows me to push magnum pressures in complete safety, without using magnum cases. Use regular factory steel dies to reload and form...some dies are homemade on my lathe.
But that is not for the average reloader, and needs a process to follow.
But watch the Ultimate Reloader, "Insane 308 with 300WM Velocities"....do not do this at home just informational use.
Because they run pressures over 100,000 psi.
Alpha munitions brass was used and readily available, it takes pressure well like up to 70,000 psi, but not an area, a new reloader should run in... that would be up to the individual, after careful consideration.

I use Alpha Brass in the 6 mm Dasher, to affirm it takes pressure well.
Picture of hybrid cases, in a 308 test...with some increasingly heavier powder charges.
Probably more informational than useful for the average person...but these things available.

Attachments

• 20240102_152143.jpg
    20240102_152143.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240222_132408.jpg
    20240222_132408.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 14