• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Sig Kilo 8k - No pressure data or humidity data for zero?

RadioActivity

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2020
I am in the midst of setting up my Sig Kilo 8K now that I have a chrono.

I can setup all bullet data, rifle data, and specifically temperature and velocity at that temperature - but nowhere under the profile editor for custom profiles where you setup a rifle profile does it ask for the air pressure or humidity when the data was taken. And yet, when you go to make a range card, it does ask for this information.

So... how does that work? What am I missing? Aren't both these items important as the LRF feeds the atmospherics into the AB software for a solution. If the setup has no pressure or humidity data for a known zero, how will it accurately compensate?

Anyone? Am I dumb and missing something?
IMG_5884.jpeg
IMG_5885.jpeg

Here you can see that for target cards it asks what the atmospherics are, and yet in the rifle setup there is only an area to enter temp a given muzzle velocity was achieved - nothing else.

The atmospherics would be pulled when firing the laser range finder and a solution displayed but how does it know a baseline from which to make adjustments? The range finder knows the pressure and humidity but doesn’t know the baseline that the entered muzzle velocity was achieved.

How out of the gazillions of units sold I am seemingly the only one asking these questions?

Okay. I'm going to show my ass here a moment so others can learn and benefit.

I called Sig and they had no explanation besides the rough routine of how to use the software. They recommended I call AB Solutions myself for a better understanding of how/why the software is as it should be. I did exactly that and a man took the time to explain to my knuckle dragging self why what I'm seeking is irrelevant, and was very patient. I sincere thank you to that man.

Long story short, the atmospherics beyond temperature don't matter because the atmosphere has not acted in a significant way on the bullet because you're measuring MUZZLE VELOCITY (there is a much lengthier explanation than this, but this is essentially the correct answer at our level of physics and understanding.) The reason temperature is needed is only so the powder temperature is known, as it is more or less energetic due to the actual temperature of the powder. So the onboard sensors are actually compensating for the drag changes of denser or thinner air particles and humidity and projecting that over the distance you are engaging a target.

So that is why it works without a baseline - I didn't understand that - and now I do.

Reactions: Holliday