Sig SSG 3000

holdem

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2009
Orlando, FL
I got myself a lightly used Sig SSG 3000 a few weeks ago. My friend had put about 200 rounds through it and was moving on to a Steyr. And thanks to research and advice on this site, I ordered a Nightforce 8-32x56 benchrest scope for it and mounted it with Nightforce rings, the correct height, again thanks to this site. I got this rifle to shoot F-Class, target rifle.

2vtcj94.jpg

I took it out last week to get comfotable with it, adjust the stock, adjust the trigger, move the scope around to my liking and get it sighted in.

I went back out yesterday to take it for a spin and shoot some groups. I shot four group of ten shots each with a front bi-pod and rear bag.

Below is a pic of my best group. This is 10 shots, taken at 300 meters, with Hornady AMAX 168 grain factory ammo. The Shoot-N-C is 8". You can see the group is just below 2.8".

2v93ed4.jpg

My other group, with the same ammo was 3.1". With FGMM 168 grain they were 3.6" and 3.9".

As for conditions, it was mid-day, 1-3pm. Very hot, mid 90's, which obviously means a good bit of mirage. Mix of overcast and bright sun. It was windy, 10+ mph, full value from the left, but since the left side of the range is a berm, and the right side is trees, I doubt much of that wind actually reaches the bullet.

After putting 70-80 rounds through this rifle I have to say I like the rifle quite a bit. I do not have much to compare it to. I have only been shooting about 4 years and got my first rifle just about 2 years ago, a LWRC M6A2 in 5.56. I use this for range fun and mainly for 3 gun. I got my first precision rifle about 18 months ago, a Rem 700 LTR. The stock did not fit me well and after about 80-100 rounds I sold it back to my freind that I had gotten it from. I then got a LWRC REPR in .308. This is what I have used for my F-Class matches. While I like this gun quite a bit, it can't hold a group anywhere near this Sig. The stock on the Sig is very adjustable with spacers for length and an adjustable cheek piece. The grip area is a little fat and could be thinned slightly, but it works. The trigger is adjustable and very sweet. I don't have a way to calcualte it, but it is light, I would guess 1.5 lbs or so.

When I first saw the price, I thought it was kind of expensive. Sig is really not known for their precision rifles. Now that I own it and have shot it, the price is worth it and I cannot wait for my next F-Class match on the 25th. Of the groups I shot last week and today, all of my scores would be a vast improvement over the scores I was getting with my .308 AR. I suppose I am now a bolt gun convert. My AR still has its place, but for F-Class, it will be this Sig all the way.

Re: Sig SSG 3000

Your rig looks really good. And your groups are nice as well! If I were you, if you dont already, I would start getting into reloading to get the best accuracy possible. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jawa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I were you, if you dont already, I would start getting into reloading</div></div>

My fingers are in my ears while I shout "I can't hear you, I can't hear you."

Reloading is one of those things that I am sure will happen eventually, but the thought of sitting in the garage (in Florida) making rounds really does not excite me.

LOL, I know your pain. When I first started reloading, it was in my garage...Take in mind I live in Houston and it gets hot as hell down here. I would have to watch to make sure sweat didnt drop into my cases with powder. I protested enough that I finally got my own mancave upstairs now, ir I probably would have got out the shooting thing altogether.

Nice rig, but here, in Europe, Sig IS KNOWN for its precision rifles - they're good and expensive :-D I have seen some SIG 3000 at competitions and they are nice and very good, you will be happy with it!

Good shooting and nice rifle. Glad to see you are becoming more involved with your quest for long range accuracy.

I wouldn't sewat reloading too much right now. Your group was about .9 moa at 300 yards and that is pretty good. If you want to start pushing past about 600 yards or so, that 168 gr ammo isn't going to work so well though.

I find it funny your friend went from the Sig to a Steyr. Nothing against Steyrs, I've owned 4 of them over the years. But I think the SSG3000 is a better platform than anything Steyr puts out. He may find himself disappointed. Just my opinion... FWIW. Enjoy it... I want one of those myself!

Norwegian left handed field target STR/SSG3000 in 6.5x55 with 27" barrel:

Bisley2011047.jpg

In Norway the Sauer dominate full bore rifle comps like Anschutz do in small bore.