• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors Silencershop Single Shot Trust

kthomas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Hey all,

Question in regards to a silencershop single shot trust. My wife and I have a Crux Archangel can which was purchased at Crux and is currently sitting at their shop. I was going to pick it up directly from the shop (I was living in Houston until April of this year) but life took a turn and my wife and I ended up in Arizona. There is a gun shop that we have been dealing with in our new city which has the silencershop kiosk, which my wife has recently used to purchase and transfer a silencerco can from silencershop.

Since we are already in the silencershop kiosk system, can we transfer the Crux can from Crux to this FFL/SOT using a silencershop single shot trust? Or can these single shot trusts only be used for cans purchased through silencershop?

In theory dealers are supposed to be able to add the suppressor to their ‘local’ inventory in the SS system and they they can do paperwork, trusts, etc jut like it came from SS.

In practice however - at least here in Indiana - they flat will not accept any transfer that isn’t from SilencerShop.

I just went through this trying to get myself a ThunderBeast. Found one, but none of the 6-7 ‘network’ dealers I spoke with would participate in the transfer - even my local one whom I’ve spent thousands of dollars with. Based on what I was told ‘off the record’ it appears that this practice is highly discouraged by their contractual agreements and can get a dealer removed from their network.

My advice is to get a new trust drawn up (I used GunTrustGuru) that you can use for everything going forward and find a non-SS class III and start building a relationship there for your transfer and future needs.

Having purchased suppressors both inside and outside of the SS network I can honestly tell you the process is not that difficult. In fact, not knowing what to expect I did my own paperwork and prints and it took all of about 30 minutes and may end up actually faster.

I mailed my paperwork on 12/21, it was received and check was cashed yesterday. When I did SS that was easily a three week timespan that this time was less than a week.

Reactions: kthomas and VanJoe
I have the full gun trust through SS. Bought it and my first 2 cans straight from SS. But since then I have bought 3 cans from various places online, used the same dealer for these cans, and that dealer used SS for the form 4 transfer to me. I didn't ask them to use SS, that's just how they process any can that they transfer, whether they sold the can directly, customer bought from SS, or customer bought from anywhere else. FWIW.

I’m in Washington state and bought my can directly through my local dealer that has a Silencer Shop kiosk in the store. I bought the Single Shot Trust directly through Silencer Shop and submitted my personal info, fingerprints, and photo through the SS kiosk and SS photo submittal Web App.

Once my dealer got the can delivered directly from TBAC, they added the serial number to the Silencer Shop documents along with any other pertinent information. I then paid Silencer Shop the tax stamp fee and from then on they handled all the paperwork submittal for me. All was done via email, including signatures.

About six months later, I got the call from my dealer to come pick up my can.

I had purchased 2 cans and 2 One Shot Trusts through the Silencer Shop kiosk, a TBAC Ultra 7 through Silencer Shop and a SiCo 556k ASR through SiCo. The SiCo took a little bit longer because I had to wait for the Form 3 to come through (1 month due to manufacturing) before I could enter the info into the One Shot Trust. And this was during the SiCo/Silencer shop fiasco. I had no problems, picked my cans up at 8 and 9 months respectively.

Based on what I was told ‘off the record’ it appears that this practice is highly discouraged by their contractual agreements and can get a dealer removed from their network.
This is untrue. Silencer Shop encourages the practice since they make $25 off each transaction. We still do this for clients when they want us to.

My advice is to get a new trust drawn up (I used GunTrustGuru) that you can use for everything going forward and find a non-SS class III and start building a relationship there for your transfer and future needs.
Now this I agree 100%!

This is untrue. Silencer Shop encourages the practice since they make $25 off each transaction. We still do this for clients when they want us to.

Now this I agree 100%!

Just sharing my experiences here in Indiana...
They’ve all either collectively decided not to do it or - as a couple of the dealers here indicated - they’re receiving pressure not to work with third party competitors from somewhere within the SS foodchain.

Regardless, the manual process isn’t all that hard and at least in my case was a couple weeks faster to go from order to check cashed.

In theory dealers are supposed to be able to add the suppressor to their ‘local’ inventory in the SS system and they they can do paperwork, trusts, etc jut like it came from SS.

In practice however - at least here in Indiana - they flat will not accept any transfer that isn’t from SilencerShop.

I just went through this trying to get myself a ThunderBeast. Found one, but none of the 6-7 ‘network’ dealers I spoke with would participate in the transfer - even my local one whom I’ve spent thousands of dollars with. Based on what I was told ‘off the record’ it appears that this practice is highly discouraged by their contractual agreements and can get a dealer removed from their network.

Having purchased suppressors both inside and outside of the SS network I can honestly tell you the process is not that difficult. In fact, not knowing what to expect I did my own paperwork and prints and it took all of about 30 minutes and may end up actually faster.

I mailed my paperwork on 12/21, it was received and check was cashed yesterday. When I did SS that was easily a three week timespan that this time was less than a week.

I think those dealers are uninformed (or lazy). They may just not want to deal with it. My "Powered by SS" dealer is happy to use the SS process for cans purchased elsewhere. SS does charge the dealer $25 but he just passes that on to me. SS does not discourage it or remove dealers from their network for using it. They of course want dealers to use it so they can make money.

My SingleShot unlimited purchase from SS has been great. 10+ cans each with their own trust and all through my one SOT/FFL.

Reactions: jda2631
I agree, its easy money for dealers. SS does all the work, dealer spends about 10-20 min of actual work on it, they pass the $25 fee from SS to the customer and then most charge you a holding fee and then the transfer fee to transfer to you once form 4 is approved. They make $100+ for 15 min of work and holding a 10x3x3" box until form 4 is approved.

Same reason dealers love gun transfers from online sales. $25+ transfer fee for 10 min of work.

My SingleShot unlimited purchase from SS has been great. 10+ cans each with their own trust and all through my one SOT/FFL.

Just curious, why single shot unlimited instead of their full trust? What is the benefit of having a different trust attached to each can?

I have the full trust from them, I don't think the single shot unlimited was around when I got mine.

Just curious, why single shot unlimited instead of their full trust? What is the benefit of having a different trust attached to each can?

I have the full trust from them, I don't think the single shot unlimited was around when I got mine.

Here are some hypothetical situations

Standard Trust:
Person A knows they will purchase multiple cans and may want to share their cans with Person B at a later day. Person A gets the trust with only themselves in it and purchases a can. Once the application is approved, Trust can be amended to add Person B. Then, if a 2nd can is to be purchased, then now Person B must also submit photos & prints as part of the Form 4 (or Person B must be removed from the trust until 2nd can is approved and then re-added). And, from what I was informed, if one Form 4 was approved and another Form 4 is still in process, then the trust cannot be changed without somehow having to amend the current/in-process Form 4 to reflect new responsible party on the trust.

SS Trust
Person A buys can 1 on SSTrust1, once approved they add Person B to Trust.
Person A buys can 2 on SSTrust2, once approved they add Person B to Trust.
No need for person B to do prints or photos.
Each trust is separate and can be changed independently.
If Person A has 3 cans, they could choose to only share 1 can with Person B.